Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

non-traditional applicants question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by texasgal1112, Apr 29, 2002.

1. texasgal1112

texasgal1112 Member

I posted this on the pre-allopathic but didn't get much response. I figured medical students may have more info about this: :)
    I have a friend who is a non-traditional applicant and wants some information.
    She is a Texas resident, who is 26.
    Graduated college with a 2.5 GPA in electrical eng.
    Is now taking pre-med reqs and making all A's.
    MCAT 32
    Not a URM. But has an "interesting" life story.
    She wants to know if it is possible to get into medical school in Texas.
    Does anyone know anything about non-traditional students?
    Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PMPMD

PMPMD 4G MD
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    She should definitely try. Of the Texas schools, UTHSCSA, UTMB, and Texas Tech are all known for being very receptive to non-traditional applicants. I know of people who got in to these schools with GPAs of 2.7 and 2.8, in majors that were a lot easier than EE. A 32 MCAT is SOLID for the TX schools, so she shouldn't be worried about that. Her GPA is below average for any med school, but she chose a challenging major, and she has a lot else going for her. I think she should apply, and I would be surprised if she didn't get some interviews.

4. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    You can also drop by <a href="http://www.oldpremeds.net" target="_blank">www.oldpremeds.net</a> This is the website of the National Society for Non-Traditonal Pre-Medical & Medical Students, Inc...and organization that focuses on the needs of non-traditionals both while applicants and while a medical student.

We're about to have our second annual conference & workshop on medical school admissions in Dallas, TX 30 May thru 2 June 2002. If you would like additional information on this, feel free to drop me an e-mail: [email protected]

5. castaway

castaway Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How long has it been since she graduated? I think past performance is not scrutinized as much as current performance if the time gap between college and postbac is significant.

Definitely, a 32 is solid for TX (and out of state), and having all A's in current college work will demonstrate to adcoms that your friend can take on the challenge of med school. It really helps to highlight past experiences that can be related to one's potential as a physician. In my application, I wrote about a significant life experience in the Unique Life Experiences section of the Texas common application, and was asked about it at every school I interviewed at.

I think it's a good idea to apply to out of state schools also. Often, schools like MCP Hahnemann and NYMC are looking for students who have had the sort of experiences that those fresh out of college are highly unlikely to have had.

6. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Most importantly, do not appear apologetic for your non-trad status. Sell it for what it is...an advantage! You can bring into their classroom a substantial amount of maturity & professionalism...this is very desirable!