Non-Traditional Applicants - Still List College ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouschemist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attempted to search the non-traditional forums for an answer to this question, but only found a couple of related posts and they were at least >6 years old and slightly off topic, so I'm hoping someone will have a more current answer for me! (I hope it's okay to post in this forum and not solely the non-trad forum...)

How long does an applicant have to be out of college before it is no longer relevant to list experiences and ECs from time in college on an application? By the time I apply, I'll have been out of school and working for 3 years, possibly 4 if I decide to delay my application until the 2019 cycle. I have done some additional activities and volunteering since I graduated, but not as many as I'd like as my job eats a lot of my free time. A lot of my more significant experiences/ECs are from college and I'd like to be able to list them. Is it still appropriate to do so?

Members don't see this ad.

you list what ever makes you look good.
You also want to be mindful in giving an accounting of activities during UG , At least I did because my grades were not spectacular.

Reactions: 1 user
It's appropriate to do so. You're instructed to include everything since you graduated. But I focused a lot more on my more recent activities - simply because they're recent and ongoing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how other people will do, but I am planning to list my clinical experiences/EC from 1999 to 2005. At that time I was a practicing social worker. After that I was in grad school and began to work in academia. I will list them because they are the very root why I am embarking my journey to medicine now. Since we are nontrad, we have much more experiences to talk about. What we may want to do is to select those most relevant experiences and make them a good story to answer the question: why medicine now?

You may choose only 15.
You are not obligated to include everything; you may currate a list that puts your application in the best light.
If you did something fun or interesting in college that speaks to your hobbies, if you did research in undergrad, if you had a position of authority or leadership, or if you had to work during undergrad to cover your expenses, then it is reasonable to include a few experiences from undergrad (e.g. choir or band, athletics, resident assistant or freshmen orientation leader).