1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Non-Traditional applicants to OMFS

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by omfsj, Apr 28, 2007.

1. omfsj

Dental Student
    Hello everyone!
    I was wondering if any current OMFS residents or anyone with information about residency selection could give me advice. Over the years, I have taken more of an interest in OMFS. I graduated about 5 years ago with 87 part I and unfortunately, not in the top 10% of class in CA dental school. Published paper before dental school (cell bio related), Ivy undergrad, Volunteer faculty at school, did a GPR with OMFS emphasis with first call every 3 nights and assisting in OR with OMFS Residents, admitting, discharging pts., tons of extractions, lacerations, trauma in NYC. Would programs discriminate against my type of application, since I graduated a while ago (too old?), or would they look closely at what I have done--What would it take to overcome 87 boards and not so great ranking (LOR's, etc)? Which programs would be more favorable to apply to for older, not just out of school applicants?
    Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. shabu2

10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I don't think age has a lot to do with the overall chance of you getting into OMFS. I met plenty of 30y/o+ candidates me included, but I do think your 87 part I hurts you particularly the 6yr-MD programs. I would shoot your application out there (20+ programs) and hope to get a few interviews. If you have any personality at all you will match. I met plenty of people who were such douche bags with fabulous numbers. My mentor always told me that the best OMFS program in the United States was the one you matched to. Good Luck.

4. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    My numbers weren't that great.

5. shabu2

10+ Year Member

:D

6. omfsj

Dental Student
    thanks for your help. I definitely want a 4 year program anyway and I appreciate your feedback and honesty.

7. EuroOMFS

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My numbers sucked but thanks to my captivating personality and maybe most of all my impeccable looks, I got in anyway!

What next?!

8. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

yeah, we can attest to that. you barely measured up to 3.5. :eek:

9. IcedOMFS

IcedOMFS realultimatepower.net
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

That's 3.5, in inches, isn't it? Ouch.

Come to think of it, I think I only measure up to 3.5 inches... From the ground.

10. shabu2

10+ Year Member

I am 3.5 too........in diameter.

11. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    3.55. Get your facts straight:mad:

12. Doggie

10+ Year Member

haha.......leave it up to OMFS dipsh!ts to mess up another legitimate thread!! :smuggrin: Oh well....at least this keeps my sanity in check from all the mullets I see in the hospital.

13. Dr. Dai Phan

Dr. Dai Phan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Well believe it or not, about a few years back I contemplated about doing OS. I emailed the director of my credentials (basically a CV) and asked for his opinion. I was told that because of my age (36 at the time) and the amount of post graduate residencies/fellowship that they "were not desirable" for OS training! I do however have good GPA and board scores. Looks like some PD just want people focused entirely on OS from the start. DP

14. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    A junior at my school who frequents this board asked me today to brief him on all the "extern hazing rituals" as he's getting ready to go on some (hi Steve). He was genuinely terrified:laugh: I think we reach a lot more people than you would imagine...648 views on this thread alone:eek: Are you guys getting a lot of extern apps this year?

15. DiaperDandy

DiaperDandy OMFS Intern
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ya, well, if you were a good mormon boy :oops: and somebody wanted to measure your thingy (diameter or distance from the ground), or do sickening things to you while you slept:sleep: ...you would be a little wary, too.

16. Doggie

10+ Year Member

This month is especially crazy. I think there are a total of 5 externs right now!

17. CrispRice

CrispRice Junior Member
    5+ Year Member