NON-traditional applicants with Masters degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virajpatel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all my non-traditional applicants,

Since we lose touch from our undergraduate institutions and professors upon graduating, I was wondering how some of your managed to acquire letters of recommendation from your undergraduate professors or did you only go through with the professors in your masters program? I figured some dental schools may require undergraduate professors, as well. If that is the case would it be best to randomly stay in touch with old professors?

If some of those who are experienced in this could shine some light on the topic, I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not aware of dental schools which require undergraduate letters. You may want to call the schools you are interested in to see if there is such a limitation.
In my case, I used letters from my graduate school professors for this application cycle. I felt that they could write me a stronger letter and could attest to my academic improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@mrdannyfan for your graduate courses did you have numerous instructors in each course. if so, how did you determine which professor to reach out to?

I think it is best to have someone who knows you well write the letter. After a graduate program, you likely are closer with your graduate professors than you are with those who taught you back in undergrad. Most schools request letters from a "science professor" and I doubt they care if the science class was in undergrad or grad school. All of my letters are from grad school profs/mentors.

If you've taken courses with multiple instructors, you can choose the "chair" of the course. Or you can choose one who you particularly enjoyed or connected with. It helps if they have gotten to know you a bit outside the class (e.g. through office hours, research, etc). :)

Reactions: 1 user