MD Non Traditional cGPA: 3.50 , sGPA: 3.21, non-sGPA: 3.57 MCAT 25, Good EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdtrivkar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just want to get an idea of what my chances may be at a Medical school. My bachelor's degree is not in science. I have a B.A. in Political Sciences/International Relations.

So this is what I have:

-sGPA 3.21 (keep in mind I only have the pre-med reqs), cGPA 3.50, non-sGPA 3.57; MCAT 25 (I'll be retaking the MCAT this fall since I'm "free")
-I have great LOR from 1 MD, 2 science professors, 2 non-science professors, and the coordinator of the program I am currently volunteering.
-I have done volunteering at a hospital for 200+ hours.
-Shadowed MD in the summer (2 months)
-Involved in the community.
-Involved in many EC's as undergrad, including being part of the leadership in 2 student organizations.

so please, every advise is welcome and options as to where I could apply as well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a pre-med like you, but I think your chances are pretty low for MD. If you look at the acceptance rate chart at the top of the WAMC forums, you'll find that you're at about a 22% chance of acceptance with your current GPA and MCAT. Have you considered applying to DO programs?

Anyway, retake the MCAT when you feel you are totally prepared and ready to slay that bad boy. I'm sure you know this but adjust your studying for the content of the new MCAT. If your heart is set on MD, then consider doing some sort of post-bac to boost that sGPA and cGPA. Maybe consider getting some experience with research as well. Those things will boost your chances at MD by quite a bit.

I'm just a pre-med like you, but I think your chances are pretty low for MD. If you look at the acceptance rate chart at the top of the WAMC forums, you'll find that you're at about a 22% chance of acceptance with your current GPA and MCAT. Have you considered applying to DO programs?

Anyway, retake the MCAT when you feel you are totally prepared and ready to slay that bad boy. I'm sure you know this but adjust your studying for the content of the new MCAT. If your heart is set on MD, then consider doing some sort of post-bac to boost that sGPA and cGPA. Maybe consider getting some experience with research as well. Those things will boost your chances at MD by quite a bit.

I started doing research during summer (2013) but had to quit half way for a personal emergency that's why I don't count on it, but definitely I'm thinking on retaking the MCAT and the pre-meds with "C". Oh and I forgot to mention this, I don't know if this could be relevant, but I'm from Puerto Rico and the top Med Schools here -out of 4- (UPR-RCM) has an average MCAT score of 24... and the other one (PSM) requires a minimum GPA of 2.7 on a four-point scale (as calculated by AMCAS) their average is 3.5. and minimum science GPA of 2.7 on a four-point scale (as calculated by AMCAS). Minimum MCAT score is 19 their average score is 21.

Maybe here in PR? Although now that you mention a post bacc, I was thinking to apply to the post bacc of U. Vermont, but I'm not sure if it's good tho, I don't know anybody and the reviews are very dated.

And thanks for answering!

Members don't see this ad :)