Aug 3, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
OK, so here are my stats...

(One thing to know is that I am in no way stopping or giving up on this dream. I thrive on motivation an encouragement, however am a realist an appreciate any help in areas I need work on. Please feel free to leave any advice, comments, insight and experiences below. I am looking to see what else I can do to improve myself. Thank you)

Background: First in family to attend college, not much support but enough to make it work if needed to move.
Experience: Dental assistant since 2011. RDA since 2012 with continues work experience with general dentist
Volunteer: STEM workshops for high-school students, Internship at Hospital for 15 months, Volunteer at outreach dental clinics around California.
Research: Two semesters of a biology internship with a microbiology focus on microbes in oral cavity and
paper that might be published. More research to come.
Other activities: Biology and Spanish tutor at community College, Biomed Club, Pre-dental Society
Major: Biology (Still working on pre-reqs at community college, transferring to a CSU school next year)
GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.7
DAT: will take at end of junior year, beginning to study now

Ok, so here is the big thing. When I first started college, I did not know what I was doing and attended a community college, I've been in and out of community college due to life issues for 6 years. I have many Ws and even Fs on my transcripts, all on easy classes. I am very smart and now succeeding above average in all classes and mostly As in sciences and even tutor now. However I slacked off in my early 20s.

Question? will the admission reps be able to bypass so many Ws and some Fs in my past. I was young and no direction. Overcame obstacles and now am on an upward trend and excelling beyond my peers even with two children and working.

With a rocky academic start and being almost 30 years old, how does my chances look and any recommendations?

Thank You and good luck to all! Remember, never give up on yourself.

Reactions: 1 user

JLT223

DMD
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
  2. Dentist
How is your science gpa .6 pts higher than your cumulative gpa?

DrLTD

5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
How is your science gpa .6 pts higher than your cumulative gpa?

She is probably accounting for science classes only. My science GPA is higher than my cumulative too.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.