Non Traditional Dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr IWannaBe

Class of 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a non-tradional Dental forum?

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't a non-traditional forum. We non-trad students just use these forums. I'm not sure there is a big enough need or interest to warrant a separate forum, but I've never looked into the matter either.

Dr IWannaBe said:
I wish there was too- GREAT IDEA!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is 3 now. Is that enough? :p

titan305 said:
There is 3 now. Is that enough? :p

I'm 33 now and by the time I graduate (pre-reqs and Dental school) I'll be 40. Any other "old heads"?

I'm 23 too! Will start pre-reqs later this month... shooting for entry in 2008. Very daunting to think about considering I haven't taken a science course since high school.

I'm 25 and will start taking my pre-req this month. I would love a have an non-traditional dental forum.:cool:

I started my pre-reqs at 23 with no prior science backround and I did very well. I finished all of the pre-reqs in less than 1 calander year. It can be done and its not impossible as some people will tell you. If anyone needs advice just let me know.

-OB- said:
I started my pre-reqs at 23 with no prior science backround and I did very well. I finished all of the pre-reqs in less than 1 calander year. It can be done and its not impossible as some people will tell you. If anyone needs advice just let me know.
...but did u work f/t?

sumozmom said:
...but did u work f/t?

No, part-time....20 hours a week at a dental clinic.

N2Teeth said:
I'm 25 and will start taking my pre-req this month. I would love a have an non-traditional dental forum.:cool:

I guess I'm the "old man" in this thread! I start my pre-reqs on Monday. Physics! is it tough? let me know! somebody!

I'm 33 too. Starting my prereqs in a couple weeks. I'm going to start slow to see how it goes then maybe take a leave of absence from my work to go full time. I figure 1 class in spring, 1 in the first summer session,1 in the second summer session and 2 in the fall. I'm ready to go. I think. Yeah, I'm ready.Maybe. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Step aside old man =-
i'm 37 and just starting my pre-recs;)

titan305 said:
I'm 33 too. Starting my prereqs in a couple weeks. I'm going to start slow to see how it goes then maybe take a leave of absence from my work to go full time. I figure 1 class in spring, 1 in the first summer session,1 in the second summer session and 2 in the fall. I'm ready to go. I think. Yeah, I'm ready.Maybe. :eek:

it feels soooo good to have company! My goal is to apply next year and enter dental school in 2008. I have 3 kids (5, 3, and 3 months) and thank God, my wife is very supportive. I have various aspirations and Dentistry affords me the oppurtunity to do well financially, spend time with my family, and play a few gigs (I'm a musician)

titan305 said:

What's your family situation? Kids? When are you planning to apply and enter school?

30 years old, married, 4 boys (ages 3 to 11), work fulltime. I have 1 acceptance, so I know I'm in somewhere!! Woot!

Good luck! :D

Dr IWannaBe said:
I'm 26 and will be starting this August!

sumozmom said:
Step aside old man =-
i'm 37 and just starting my pre-recs;)

I suppose maturity and past job experiences count a lot in helping shape your future traits as a caring and successful dentist. I have known of a church pastor switching to dentistry at the age of 40 something...

Dr IWannaBe said:
it feels soooo good to have company! My goal is to apply next year and enter dental school in 2008. I have 3 kids (5, 3, and 3 months) and thank God, my wife is very supportive. I have various aspirations and Dentistry affords me the oppurtunity to do well financially, spend time with my family, and play a few gigs (I'm a musician)

Absolutely! Dentistry is an incredible career-- providing you with a wonderful income, time with family, and security. Good luck and don't give up. You will encounter many tough times on your journey, but keep your eyes focus on the goal. I started dschool at 28 and 5 years later I'm a dentist who is now specializing in pediatrics. I can't tell you how easy it would have been to make excuses and quit the pursuit of dentistry----I ran a small business for several years prior to dschool and several of my employees, friends, family, couldn't imagine why I wanted to go back to school-----Well at first, sitting in Organic Chem pre-reqs----i,too, thought about how crazy I was. There was time I didn't know how I was going to survive and support my wife and daughter----and the fact that my wife understood the short-term sacrifice for long-term stability, certainly helped----but it was often challenging.

Looking back it was all worth it----today, I have doctorate degree and a skill nobody can take from me, I get to help my fellow man and make an impact in there lives/society, I have incredible security for my family, and 3 of my pediatric friends just signed contracts for ~36hr work wks and $200,000+. You should see how many of friends, family, etc... now say---"I knew you made the right decision!" :rolleyes:

Please feel free to PM anytime.

Dr. B

I am 30 and will be attending UNLV's 2010 class. Worked 44 hours a week as a police officer while attending school full time. Two kids, single parent, but with supporting girl friend.

-OB- said:

Please tell me how physics class was. I start this Monday, and I am a bit nervous. Since you had no prior science background, was it hard to understand?

Dr. Pedo said:
Absolutely! Dentistry is an incredible career-- providing you with a wonderful income, time with family, and security. Good luck and don't give up. You will encounter many tough times on your journey, but keep your eyes focus on the goal. I started dschool at 28 and 5 years later I'm a dentist who is now specializing in pediatrics. I can't tell you how easy it would have been to make excuses and quit the pursuit of dentistry----I ran a small business for several years prior to dschool and several of my employees, friends, family, couldn't imagine why I wanted to go back to school-----Well at first, sitting in Organic Chem pre-reqs----i,too, thought about how crazy I was. There was time I didn't know how I was going to survive and support my wife and daughter----and the fact that my wife understood the short-term sacrifice for long-term stability, certainly helped----but it was often challenging.

Looking back it was all worth it----today, I have doctorate degree and a skill nobody can take from me, I get to help my fellow man and make an impact in there lives/society, I have incredible security for my family, and 3 of my pediatric friends just signed contracts for ~36hr work wks and $200,000+. You should see how many of friends, family, etc... now say---"I knew you made the right decision!" :rolleyes:

Please feel free to PM anytime.

Dr. B

Awesome! Did you do a residency? Are you a pediatric dentist yourself? And if you son not mind me asking, what kind of salary did you have right out of school?

Dr IWannaBe said:
What's your family situation? Kids? When are you planning to apply and enter school?

I am married with a 2 year old son and a new baby girl born Dec 30th!

I am hoping to apply next year 07 for 2008 dental school.

I drove by the campus today where I will complete my prereqs. Damn kids look so young, I hope they party and drink alot so I can take advantage of any classes that are graded on a curve!

titan305 said:
I am married with a 2 year old son and a new baby girl born Dec 30th!

I am hoping to apply next year 07 for 2008 dental school.

I drove by the campus today where I will complete my prereqs. Damn kids look so young, I hope they party and drink alot so I can take advantage of any classes that are graded on a curve!

I'll see the (college) "kids" tomorrow at 6pm. That's when my physics class starts. Our situations seem very similar (33 years old with children). Anyway, I need to get off this computer and go to bed. I'm a music teacher in public school and i have to at work at 7:25! See ya!

Dr IWannaBe said:
Awesome! Did you do a residency? Are you a pediatric dentist yourself? And if you son not mind me asking, what kind of salary did you have right out of school?

I'm a current pediatric resident----2yr residency---- 18mos left :) .

Salary: general dentistry right out of school, I had offers for $90k+ bonus---in the end ~$100-110K. Some of my friends signed for alittle higher but that was placement in the East Coast.

My friends, as I stated before-----first year out of pedo residency are signing for $200K+ on 36 hr wk. One offer I recently looked at was in Indiana---2 pedo doc looking for someone to do their operating room (general anesthesia) cases. ~20 cases a month---paying $1800 a case. Not a bad lifestyle, if you don't mind working solely in the hospital and never building a relationship with patients.

Dr. Pedo said:
I'm a current pediatric resident----2yr residency---- 18mos left :) .

Salary: general dentistry right out of school, I had offers for $90k+ bonus---in the end ~$100-110K. Some of my friends signed for alittle higher but that was placement in the East Coast.

My friends, as I stated before-----first year out of pedo residency are signing for $200K+ on 36 hr wk. One offer I recently looked at was in Indiana---2 pedo doc looking for someone to do their operating room (general anesthesia) cases. ~20 cases a month---paying $1800 a case. Not a bad lifestyle, if you don't mind working solely in the hospital and never building a relationship with patients.
Pedio:

Thats great ....di u have to do a special res for general anesthesia? or is that part of the 2 yrs in pedo residency ?

lindandy said:
I am 30 and will be attending UNLV's 2010 class. Worked 44 hours a week as a police officer while attending school full time. Two kids, single parent, but with supporting girl friend.
Wow thats great!

How will u manage the kids when you go to school?

sumozmom said:
Pedio:

Thats great ....di u have to do a special res for general anesthesia? or is that part of the 2 yrs in pedo residency ?

Good question---- General Anesthesia cases are obviously done in the operating room at a surgery center. To have rights in a hospital you have to be an Oral surgeon or Pediatric Dentist and/or many 1 year advanced training graduates (GPR, AEGD).

Next: I do not, can not, nor will ever, be the Anesthesiologist for a GA case. That means I just do the dentistry and have nothing to do with "putting the patient to sleep." I'm responsible for anything that happens to my patient and I have additional knowledge in anesthesia (including advanced life support and anesthesia rotations at the hospital); however, I'm NOWHERE NEAR qualified to "put patients to sleep." To get a GA license you would need to do an additional 2 years specializing solely in anesthesiology and would take on the role of Dental Anesthesiologist or again be an oral surgeon.

I can however and will be licensed to do conscious sedations----which is giving narcotics to induce sedation. Advanced training is necessary and is provided in most pediatric residencies.

Hope this clears things up a bit----good luck in the future

Dr. Pedo