Non-traditional grad student..School fail to give me advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lordress

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always want to be a dentist since high school. So I went to college, intending to major in Biology. I wanted to graduate in 4 years so I instead, minor in Biology and major in general studies. This I think was a mistake.

I graduated undergrad in 2013. My overall GPA was a mere 3.0 and I need a better GPA to be competitive in my application. So I decided to go into grad school. I am a current grad school student in Education- Secondary Biology (good job market, maybe) while still trying to strengthen my record for my dental application. I plan to take more of their required classes, specifically biochem on my semester off from grad school. The advising people say I can not take any more biology courses at the institution because I am in their masters program. They recommend that I take my science class at the community college. I already took enough credits at the community college that is acceptable. The adviser said that it is odd that I plan to go into dental school but is mastering in Education, and that the dental school would question that.. . This is very uninspiring

I have a mortgage to pay and am getting pay to teach, thats why i chose my master program. I feel like one day i will be happy not pushing dental school and wasting my time. im 25. I dont want to pursue something I cant obtain forever.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are taking upper division biology or science courses your current masters program probably won't help and may raise question to why you chose that over another health-profession specific masters program like a Biomedical Sciences. Many applicants DO do a masters program to raise their GPA but the programs they complete are upper-division science course specific and are designed to increase your application credentials for health professional school. In fact that's essentially ALL they aim to do.

Have you taken your pre-requisites for dental school as part of your bio undergrad?

If you HAVE and those courses are strong and you have a solid science GPA a high DAT may make you competitive.