Non-traditional, likely Re-App. Re-Apply this coming cycle or wait a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pt2md?

Reaction score
Sorry for this long post! I feel that I am a bit complicated as a non-traditional applicant, so a little context is helpful rather than simply posting my stats.

Here is my background. I am a physical therapist who is embarking on his second career change. After working for 2 years as a PT, I began to feel "stuck." I am a very ambitious person who thrives when I have a goal to work towards. When a friend of mine who is a franchisee of a successful quick-service restaurant offered to help me become a franchisee, I jumped at the opportunity. For a year and a half I ran her restaurant as a general manager before realizing that the business world was not a good fit for me. After some contemplation, I decided to seek a career that I hope will combine the favorite parts of my two careers and allow me to care directly for patients while using the leadership skills I have developed as a general manager.

I made this decision last July (2020) and unfortunately jumped to action before properly researching the process. I immediately registered for the latest MCAT possible (Sept 28) to give myself ample time to study. My assumption was that the best order of things would be to take the MCAT before completing my application (oops). I did not start my AMCAS application until October and submitted it with much anxiety on the 12th of October. I then worked full time on secondaries for the next month, submitting 23 secondaries between 10/22 and 11/22.

Of course now I realize that I have submitted my applications way, way too late. I cringe writing this, but I admit I arrogantly believed that my grades from undergraduate, holding a graduate degree and achieving a moderately strong MCAT score would make me a "shoe-in." To add to my hubris, the schools I decided to apply to included Dartmouth, Brown, Georgetown, Yale, Vandy, Duke and BU.

My results this cycle have certainly been enough to humble me. So far, I have received two interview-waitlists (SUNY Upstate, WVU) and one rejection (Georgetown). As the cycle winds to a close I try to remain optimistic about receiving a late interview, but have mostly accepted that I applied too damn late and my "just go for it" strategy was not effective. Here are my current stats:
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS 3.98 cGPA/3.99 sGPA, Graduate: 3.87 (Undergrad GPA does not include O Chem 1 and Biochem which I took at a community college in the fall and made A's in both. Taking O Chem II this semester.)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown 515. CHM/PHYs: 126, CARS: 130, Bio/Biochem: 128, Psych/Soc: 131
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) North Carolina
  4. Ethnicity and/or race White male
  5. Undergraduate institution or category Appalachian State University (Public State School)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) 2000+ working full time as a PT for 2 years, 50 volunteer in the past month at the health department assisting with COVID-19 testing/vaccinations
  7. Research experience and productivity ~500 as a graduate research assistant in a biochemistry lab. I presented a poster as a regional PT conference as my capstone for my graduate program
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented 0 due to COVID-19
  9. Non-clinical volunteering Nothing in the past 3 years. 40 hours a volunteer basketball coach for middle school boys, 15-20 in PT school at a soup kitchen and Habitat for Humanity (I did not include these in my application because I did not consider them recent enough)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) Recreational Runner, I run 60-100 miles per week and have ran 5 marathons. Year and a half working full time as a general manager leading a team of ~100. Resident assistant for 3 years in college, resident assistant council president for one year.
  11. Relevant honors or awards Received the annual academic award for my major (exercise science) in 2014, spoke at my college graduation in 2014
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important Married to a very supportive wife! I feel very confident that my references know me well and wrote strong references for me (2 graduate professors (one basic science), 1 undergrad science professor, 1 clinical instructor and 1 PT work colleague)
My question now is do I apply again this coming cycle or do I spend a year filling the serious gaps in my resume (volunteer experience, shadowing experience)?

I plan to focus on these weaknesses in the following months, but am worried that 4-5 months does not give me enough time gain the proper amount of experience, especially with COVID-19 continuing to limit shadowing experiences. Any other comments about possible weaknesses in my application would be helpful! Thank you!

TLDR: Physical therapist, finished secondaries in Oct/Nov 2020, no shadowing or non-clinical volunteering hours, will I have enough time to improve this by May/June 2021?

Members don't see this ad.

50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) would help your chances. As you already know your application was very late and some of your schools were reaches. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. I suggest these schools:
East Carolina
UNC
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Cincinnati

Reactions: 1 users
You are seriously lacking volunteer experience and shadowing, but you know that. Other applicants have hundreds of hours of service and have been working on their med school application for years, so it's definitely tougher on career changers since they may not have as extensive clinical experience. It is generally recommended to get 150+ clinical and 150+ non-clinical volunteering hours.

To remain anonymous, you may want to change your profile pic if that's actually you. This thread contains actual adcoms (such as from USF and Case Western).

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides the lack of shadowing you have no nonclinical volunteering. I really wouldn’t reapply without those two activities. You need 50 hours of shadowing, including some with a primary care doc, and 200+ hours of nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community. Whenever you decide to reapply, submit your primary on the first day.

FYI- if that is your picture, think about taking it down.

50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) would help your chances. As you already know your application was very late and some of your schools were reaches. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. I suggest these schools:
East Carolina
UNC
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Cincinnati
I think 50 maybe attainable by the summer! That definitely gives me hope! Thank you taking the time to read my post and suggest some schools. Almost my exact list!

You are seriously lacking volunteer experience and shadowing, but you know that. Other applicants have hundreds of hours of service and have been working on their med school application for years, so it's definitely tougher on career changers since they may not have as extensive clinical experience. It is generally recommended to get 150+ clinical and 150+ non-clinical volunteering hours.

To remain anonymous, you may want to change your profile pic if that's actually you. This thread contains actual adcoms (such as from USF and Case Western).
So should I also continue to seek clinical volunteering hours as well as non-clinical? I feel like I have a ton of clinical hours from working as a PT. Is the idea to demonstrate character by volunteering, or have a diversity of experiences? Thanks for your help! And thanks for the tip about my profile pic.

Besides the lack of shadowing you have no nonclinical volunteering. I really wouldn’t reapply without those two activities. You need 50 hours of shadowing, including some with a primary care doc, and 200+ hours of nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community. Whenever you decide to reapply, submit your primary on the first day.

FYI- if that is your picture, think about taking it down.
Thanks for your advice. Any suggestion on how to best connect with doctors willing to have a shadow?

And thanks for the tip about the profile picture!

Thanks for your advice. Any suggestion on how to best connect with doctors willing to have a shadow?

And thanks for the tip about the profile picture!
It’s tough right now for shadowing. Lots of places are not allowing it. Hopefully that will change over the next few months. You could try your own doctor or doctors you know personally and see if they’ll let you observe. If not, or really at the same time, look for some nonclinical volunteering opportunities. These are important. Medicine is a service profession and ADCOMS will expect to see your altruism in your application. You have to show you are comfortable working with all kinds of people.