Non-traditional, low GPA, CC credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmrw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 42 y/o URM and will be going to medical school (I'm speaking it and believing it!) I have a B.S. in Chemistry (1996) and did not do well undergrad, overall GPA 2.74, BCMP GPA about 2.3 or a little less. You name it: D's, F's, W's, N's, NG's, O's, downward trend. It was bad. I was horrified when I looked at my transcript last night. I definitely could have done better. But, moving forward...

Since then, I got a master's in education (3.9 GPA) in 1999. I also have taken lots of doctoral level (Ed.D) courses and have a GPA of about 3.9 in those) up to about a year ago.

In 2006-2007, I went back and retook Chemistry I and II and also Biology I and II lectures (not the labs) and received A's in all four of these classes. These were seated classes. I took these at a 4 year college. I moved and was working so did not take the other pre-reqs again (Orgo and Physics).

I am now focused on getting this done.

I have several questions.

1) Should I go back and take the CHEM and BIO courses again since it's been so long (2006-07) and since I am very non-traditional with a low GPA from undergrad?

2) Should I retake PHY II? I did get a B in that back in 1995.

3) Do I need to take the labs again, since I got A's and B's in many of those from undergrad. For example, I got B in Chem I lab, B- in Orgo Lab I, A- in Orgo Lab II, B in PHY lab I, and an A in PHY lab II.

4) Is it okay for me to take these at the community college where I work? (They will pay for me to take one class per semester).

5) My CC offers a lot of online courses. My plan is to take BIO and CHEM at the CC online. Since I already took them seated in 2006-07, do you think that this would be okay, even for those schools that don't accept online courses? Since these schools could go by my grades from 06-07? Please advise.

6) I plan to take ORGO I and II and also PHY I and II seated at a 4 year university. The university is well more than an hour from me but I plan to do it. God willing, it will work out! Does this sound like a good plan?

Spring 2016 - BIO 101 plus lab (online) - CC

Summer 2016 - BIO 102 plus lab (online) - CC
CHEM I plus lab (online) - CC

Fall 2016 - ORGO I seated class - university
PHY I seated class - university
CHEM II plus lab (online) - CC*

Spring 2017 - ORGO II seated class - university
PHY II seated class - university

*might wait until Summer 2017 to do this one: CHEM II plus lab (online) - CC*

What do you think about this?

I really want to do VCU's postbacc but it indicates that it is for non-science majors and I live so far from the university and work full-time. I'm trying to take some of the courses there though because my GPA from undergrad is so low.

My CC does offer PHY online, so I wish I could take it there, but I don't want to be shut out by schools who don't accept online courses, namely EVMS. This is where I really would like to go. I feel like I'd be okay taking the BIO and CHEM online because I've already take these courses in 06-07 seated and got A's.

I have not yet taken the MCAT.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Your responses are appreciated. I am learning so much by reading these threads!

GOD bless you all!

Members don't see this ad.

What's you're current total cgpa/sgpa?

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile

I'm not sure. I started taking pre-reqs again in 06-07 (CHEM I and II and BIO I and II). I received A's in all 4 of these classes. So, it is a 4.0 in science since 06-07, although I did receive a W in a cytology class, in 08 or so. I was working full-time and withdrew from that and a PSY class that semester. Since then, I have not taken any science classes.