Non-traditional needs more than financial aid budget..any ideas?

morphinedrip

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Status
Dental Student
There is a financial ceiling (budget limit) that one cannot surpass in every dental school. Being an older non-traditional student, I have a mortgage and a second in a state that is not in the state where I'll be attending dental school this fall. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any other financial programs or "out of the box" ideas that might help me solve this dilemma so I dont have to forclose on the house. FYI the house is rented at the moment, but it doesnt cover the first and second. the surrounding market value dictated that I couldnt raise the rent another $400. The total additional amount I will need each year above the budget the school gave me is $7000.00 per year for the four years or until I can sell it...which considering the market isnt very likely for a while. :scared:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

xelda

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm running into the same problem just as a non-traditional undergrad. Apparently I'm only eligible for about $17K in financial aid, but I need something more like $27K just to afford rent, utilities, food, and gas. That's with living very conservatively, too. I'll be working part-time, but that money goes toward credit card and car payments. My school has a "special circumstances" form so I can apply for more financial aid, but I'm not sure about the process since it still wouldn't guarantee eligibility.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I'm running into the same problem just as a non-traditional undergrad. Apparently I'm only eligible for about $17K in financial aid, but I need something more like $27K just to afford rent, utilities, food, and gas. That's with living very conservatively, too. I'll be working part-time, but that money goes toward credit card and car payments. My school has a "special circumstances" form so I can apply for more financial aid, but I'm not sure about the process since it still wouldn't guarantee eligibility.
Well, I have never heard of schools that offer 17K. Can you name any?

xelda

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Well, I have never heard of schools that offer 17K. Can you name any?
They're not offering me $17K. They're simply allowing me only $17K of financial aid. Subtract the $10500 I get from Stafford loans, and the $2000 estimated family contribution (which is included regardless of my independent status), that means I'm only eligible to receive about $4500 in additional aid. In the fine print, any financial aid I receive shouldn't exceed $17K. That means if I get more than $4500K in private loans, scholarships, or other financial aid, they're going to readjust the loans I've already qualified for.