Non-traditional nurse looking for direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCMike11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed all of my pre-requisites (taking biochemistry right now through CSU). Will recieve my bachelor's in the spring (1 course left).

cGPA 3.0
sGPA 3.35
MCAT- Pending - May test date

I was thinking up until this point I would have aproximately a 3.3 cgpa when applying, but this was just based on quick calculations based on my transcripts. Earlier I found the AMCAS GPA calculator that was posted here and input all my classes. Looking back at my grades as a freshman/sophomore i'm just so angry at myself for not taking things more seriously. After graduating from nursing school (mostly B's in this program) I reevaluated my life and haven't made another C in the past 2.5 years, with majority A's. Including A's in Organic 1&2, Bio 1&2, and Biochemistry. I know all of this doesn't matter really, though, with cGPA.

My MCAT is scheduled for May 6th. I have allotted 4 months for serious preparation.

I am a Texas resident. What are my best options going forward? Based on what I thought my GPA would be, was going to apply very broadly to DO schools. That seems incredibly unlikely i'll be accepted through that,however. Looking seriously at UNT's Medical Master's program, even then the average reported GPA 3.3ish with 27 MCAT (no idea what it will be on new scoring).

Other information: will be 5 years of ICU nursing experience in May.
100ish volunteer hours: vision screening for the local school districts
40-60 hrs shadowing my PCP physician (DO - will likely write me a letter).

I'm thinking conventional guidance will be to retake classes. Meaning even go back and retake numerous undergrad classes I made C's in? --speech, english, student development etc. These would balance into my GPA even if I am retaking after my degree is finished?

Members don't see this ad.

If you do really well on the MCAT it is possible to get in.

I think if you can do very well on the MCAT, there is a good chance you can get in. If you will score "average" on the MCAT, then doing more post-bac work is a must. Your goal should be to demonstrate academic excellence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Cawolf. I would put a lot of focus on the MCAT. It may also help to re-take Cs in the sciences. How was your physics and math? You've done well in the o chem and biochem and bio. Yes. I'd focus on the MCAT and try to determine strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck to you. You'll make it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Cawolf. I would put a lot of focus on the MCAT. It may also help to re-take Cs in the sciences. How was your physics and math? You've done well in the o chem and biochem and bio. Yes. I'd focus on the MCAT and try to determine strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck to you. You'll make it. :)

Thanks for the reply. A's in college algebra, dosage cal., & statistics. B's in both physics (my weakest subject, starting to pre-study now with a TBR book).

If you do really well on the MCAT it is possible to get in.

I think if you can do very well on the MCAT, there is a good chance you can get in. If you will score "average" on the MCAT, then doing more post-bac work is a must. Your goal should be to demonstrate academic excellence.

Thank you.

You can become a competitive DO applicant by strategically retaking classes. If you retake courses that you earned an F/D/C-/C in, starting with the lowest and working your way up, you can increase your GPA by taking advantage of DO schools grade replacement policy (repeat courses accept the higher of the two grades with lower grade being dropped). In this way you can go from an F (0.0 gpa) to an A (4.0 gpa) for each class quite quickly. As for how long you are willing to spend doing this is up to you. If you want to get into the best DO program possible, take advantage of grade replacement until your cGPA is much higher. If you want to get into any DO program, retake some classes in the spring and apply broadly if and only if you have a strong MCAT. Remember, a high percentage of applicants do not matriculate into ANY medical program. Respect your competition.

Yes, definitely strategically plan and work through the MCAT prep. Personally, I differ w/ others re: how to approach the MCAT, but I think it's b/c of being a nurse and working while schooling and then prepping for MCAT. So, I say take your time and spread out the prep over a wider frame of time if you must work. I see that you are reviewing your physics now, and that's good. My experience with similar types of exams is review or learn where there are gaps and then test and test and test and test ad nauseum. Of course part of that testing requires reviewing rationale for answers. Even when I get them right, unless they are incredibly obvious, I quickly review the rationale.

My issue is that I have a nature where I want to research further, and so I have to watch that I don't over do in that regard. I have the need to deeply understand what I am learning in a particular moment, and while sometimes that is good, when it comes to learning and applying large volumes of things, it can be a detriment. IMO, a lot of test prep is also in figuring out, "What is question really asking? What do they really want?"

I look forward to hearing about your success in the future.

Yes, definitely strategically plan and work through the MCAT prep. Personally, I differ w/ others re: how to approach the MCAT, but I think it's b/c of being a nurse and working while schooling and then prepping for MCAT. So, I say take your time and spread out the prep over a wider frame of time if you must work. I see that you are reviewing your physics now, and that's good. My experience with similar types of exams is review or learn where there are gaps and then test and test and test and test ad nauseum. Of course part of that testing requires reviewing rationale for answers. Even when I get them right, unless they are incredibly obvious, I quickly review the rationale.

My issue is that I have a nature where I want to research further, and so I have to watch that I don't over do in that regard. I have the need to deeply understand what I am learning in a particular moment, and while sometimes that is good, when it comes to learning and applying large volumes of things, it can be a detriment. IMO, a lot of test prep is also in figuring out, "What is question really asking? What do they really want?"

I look forward to hearing about your success in the future.

You are correct. I do not have an option of not working unfortunately. My manager has agreed to allow me to drop to 6 days instead of the regular 7. Otherwise, I don't really have a choice in the matter. Will be studying over 4 months.

You can become a competitive DO applicant by strategically retaking classes. If you retake courses that you earned an F/D/C-/C in, starting with the lowest and working your way up, you can increase your GPA by taking advantage of DO schools grade replacement policy (repeat courses accept the higher of the two grades with lower grade being dropped). In this way you can go from an F (0.0 gpa) to an A (4.0 gpa) for each class quite quickly. As for how long you are willing to spend doing this is up to you. If you want to get into the best DO program possible, take advantage of grade replacement until your cGPA is much higher. If you want to get into any DO program, retake some classes in the spring and apply broadly if and only if you have a strong MCAT. Remember, a high percentage of applicants do not matriculate into ANY medical program. Respect your competition.

Looking at some courses this AM I could retake and how it'd change my GPA. I'm conflicted for this spring semester, I could retake a speech class I made a C in previously, but this will be in combination with my MCAT prep and a 3 hr online class I have to take to finish my bachelor's.

Retaking this would raise my cGPA from a 3.05 to a 3.09.

Was telling my wife the responsible thing to do would be to take the next summer - fall 16 - spring 17 to retake 5-7 courses. I only have 2 Cs, 1 D in student development, I think it's a freshman course only, may not be able to retake. Other than that I would be retaking B classes to raise them to A's.

My other thought is to apply incredibly broadly to DO schools with current stats (3.05 GPA, 3.35 sGPA, pending MCAT) and also apply to SMP's/post-bacc with linkages. I think this thought stems from anxiety to move on to the next stage of my life. Also concerns in the back of my mind of how long it's continuing to be since I took my pre-reqs (gen chem about 3 years, 2 years for ochem and what adcoms will think looking at that).

You are correct. I do not have an option of not working unfortunately. My manager has agreed to allow me to drop to 6 days instead of the regular 7. Otherwise, I don't really have a choice in the matter. Will be studying over 4 months.

Well that's something. When you are working, every extra amount of time counts.

What is the D in student development? TBH, I don't remember being allowed to have any Ds in order to graduate from my nursing program--in anything. I got my RN through an AS program over 20 years ago, and then went back for BSN after practicing as a critical care RN--and I was s.cumm for that. So I am thinking about 36-40 credits of pre-reqs and doing well in them, and I'm left confused re: your gpa.

Also, I am pretty sure in the program through which I was eligible to sit for NCLEX-RN, every course had to be C or better--that is to say, a student would not get the AS or even be eligible to sit for the NCLEX, at least not back then, if the student has anything < C. So, if that is the case in your program, well, although I don't know what student development is, per se, I am wondering why you wouldn't have had to re-take it anyway?

Also, I think I am confused, b/c other than those 2 other Cs--and you don't indicate that they are sciences or maths, so, I'll overlook them--and even with Bs in two physics courses, A's in all the other sciences and maths, how then could your sGPA be so low? Confused.

What is the D in student development? TBH, I don't remember being allowed to have any Ds in order to graduate from my nursing program--in anything. I got my RN through an AS program over 20 years ago, and then went back for BSN after practicing as a critical care RN--and I was s.cumm for that. So I am thinking about 36-40 credits of pre-reqs and doing well in them, and I'm left confused re: your gpa.

Also, I am pretty sure in the program through which I was eligible to sit for NCLEX-RN, every course had to be C or better--that is to say, a student would not get the AS or even be eligible to sit for the NCLEX, at least not back then, if the student has anything < C. So, if that is the case in your program, well, although I don't know what student development is, per se, I am wondering why you wouldn't have had to re-take it anyway?

Also, I think I am confused, b/c other than those 2 other Cs--and you don't indicate that they are sciences or maths, so, I'll overlook them--and even with Bs in two physics courses, A's in all the other sciences and maths, how then could your sGPA be so low? Confused.

Basically, student development at the CC I started at is a class that teaches you how to study/organize. I really blew it off. It actually took me two attempts to get into my ADN program, in retrospect I was pretty fortunate to even get in. I'll have to call my CC and see if they'd even allow me to retake it at this point. Student development is not a pre-reqs for the ADN program nor a part of it. Each college freshman has to take it.

I made a C in A&P1, and B in A&P2 and micro. I think those combine together to drag my sGPA down. I am under the impression that even though these are for "allied health sciences", I have to list them as BCPM.

BCPM Bs: Human Phys, Genetics, Chem 1&2, Physics 1&2, A&P2

BCPM As: Orgo 1&2, Bio 1&2, Biochemistry, College Algebra, Statistics. (Didn't list dosage calculations, not sure if it'd count).

There are a few of us nurses who have had success this cycle already.

Congrats on making the decision and having a solid plan!

As you will hear from myself and the other nurse's on here, you are not going to get special treatment because you have been working in healthcare for some amount of time. The experience is great and I believe that it gives us a great M3/4 experience. However, M1/2 are very much real and very difficult.

Make the MCAT your goal, you need to preform on this. Also you need to do everything in your power to Ace that Post-Bac. The expectation is going to be that you get a good gpa in that because thats what people do in those, they get good gpa's.

I didn't do an SMP, I took a year off from working to take all 8 pre-reqs for medical school (a do it yourself SMP) and then took the MCAT after I was done with that (actually took it twice! old MCAT and the 2015 MCAT).

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me, I was recently accepted to a US-MD school, so it can be done! Hang in there and keep your eyes on the prize!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow nurse, also accepted to MD this year *high-five @gmbz * :clap:

Also did not do an SMP. Did an entire biology bachelor's from scratch while working two jobs per diem (as I had an associate's degree in nursing and a very poor overall GPA from a degree I never finished a few billion years ago) and took the MCAT right in the middle of the storm. Happy to answer any questions :)

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Basically, student development at the CC I started at is a class that teaches you how to study/organize. I really blew it off. It actually took me two attempts to get into my ADN program, in retrospect I was pretty fortunate to even get in. I'll have to call my CC and see if they'd even allow me to retake it at this point. Student development is not a pre-reqs for the ADN program nor a part of it. Each college freshman has to take it.

I made a C in A&P1, and B in A&P2 and micro. I think those combine together to drag my sGPA down. I am under the impression that even though these are for "allied health sciences", I have to list them as BCPM.

BCPM Bs: Human Phys, Genetics, Chem 1&2, Physics 1&2, A&P2

BCPM As: Orgo 1&2, Bio 1&2, Biochemistry, College Algebra, Statistics. (Didn't list dosage calculations, not sure if it'd count).

OK, well, yes. I don't even know if it would be worth wasting your time on the SD course for heaven's sake. :)
Yes, you have to report A&P and Micro. But I think, believe it or not, you could re-take them for As. Allopath would average this, and DO would replace it--at least I believe this is true at most DO schools. So maybe you are shortchanging yourself, and should go back and do a right run on the numbers. But I am pretty sure you can re-take any science C's for As and that would be helpful--marginally so for allopathic, more so for osteopathic. :) I still think the big thing is to really kick that crap out of the MCAT. I think overall, that's your priority, although re-taking sciences for As--particularly those in which you got Cs would be helpful. Perhaps a drag, lol, but helpful. Personally, even as a nurse, I have to say, I preferred the Microbiology over the A&P, and I figure that in gross anatomy, it will be much more involved and I will learn a ton more. I preferred learning the physiology; but in MS, I think it's a ton of anatomical expanse and minutiae upon which the student is tested. This is what every tells me anyway.

I think you will do well for DO if you kick butt on the MCAT. For allopath, yes. You may need to go SMP. The best re: whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Yes, you have to report A&P and Micro. But I think, believe it or not, you could re-take them for As. Allopath would average this, and Do would place it--at least I believe this is true at most DO schools.

The only DO school that doesn't use grade replacement is in OP's home state (TX).

Reactions: 1 users
Fellow nurse, also accepted to MD this year *high-five @gmbz * :clap:

Also did not do an SMP. Did an entire biology bachelor's from scratch while working two jobs per diem (as I had an associate's degree in nursing and a very poor overall GPA from a degree I never finished a few billion years ago) and took the MCAT right in the middle of the storm. Happy to answer any questions :)

Best of luck to you.

In the middle of storm? You mean like a snowstorm? I sat through CCRN, not anywhere near as long as MCAT, but long enough, sicker than a dog, and the snow blasting and piling up all around. It was a great time. LOL

Just think of all the stories you will be able to share with your cubs, Ms. Cougar! :D:p

Last edited:
The only DO school that doesn't use grade replacement is in OP's home state (TX).

Wow. That's a shame. Go figure FC Mike.

Would doing amazingly well on the MCAT still allow him a good chance in Texas?

Wow. That's a shame. Go figure FC Mike.

Would doing amazingly well on the MCAT still allow him a good chance in Texas?
It's a funny state. They put a lot of stock in gpa's.
I think OP's best bets are going to be OOS DO with a 503-504 MCAT and some strategic re-takes.

Reactions: 3 users
In the middle of storm? You mean like a snowstorm? I sat through CCRN, not anywhere near as long as MCAT, but long enough, sicker than a dog, and the snow blasting and piling up all around. It was a great time. LOL

Just think of all the stories you will be able to share with your cubs, Ms. Cougar! :D:p

I meant the storm of work and school. Snow is rare here in my part of da souf :D Thank goodness.

I think OP's best bets are going to be OOS DO with a 503-504 MCAT and some strategic re-takes.

@gyngyn gives some of the best advice around these boards. I would take this to heart.

Reactions: 1 users

Wanted to provide an update to all who took the time to respond, I really appreciate it. @Cawolf @jl lin lin @GreenDuck12 @gmbz @Eccesignum @gyngyn
The AMCAS excel gpa calculator I was using was taking into account my Pass graded nursing clinicals as a 2.0 grade, which came to about 17 seperate hours at 2.0.
After making some corrections to this, my actual cGPA & sGPA will both be aproximately 3.35 for DO schools ( 1 retake) & (MD - cGPA 3.33, sGPA 3.26) , depending on how different the AACOMAS GPA calculator will be.

Reactions: 4 users
I love it when there is an error that works out in your favor. As Gyngyn said, you're in range for DO schools. Study hard for the MCAT and apply broadly this coming cycle.

Wanted to provide an update to all who took the time to respond, I really appreciate it. @Cawolf @jl lin lin @GreenDuck12 @gmbz @Eccesignum @gyngyn
The AMCAS excel gpa calculator I was using was taking into account my Pass graded nursing clinicals as a 2.0 grade, which came to about 17 seperate hours at 2.0.
After making some corrections to this, my actual cGPA & sGPA will both be aproximately 3.35 for DO schools ( 1 retake) & (MD - cGPA 3.33, sGPA 3.26) , depending on how different the AACOMAS GPA calculator will be.

I love it when there is an error that works out in your favor. As Gyngyn said, you're in range for DO schools. Study hard for the MCAT and apply broadly this coming cycle.
Like the old Monopoly Board!

Just a cursory look at things, I thought, "This doesn't make sense." Glad you got that calculator out and reworked the numbers. Haha! Bet that made your day! Now be master over the MCAT! :)

Just a cursory look at things, I thought, "This doesn't make sense." Glad you got that calculator out and reworked the numbers. Haha! Bet that made your day! Now be master over the MCAT! :)

It absolutely did. When I first had calculated my GPA, I was crushed.

I first calculated my GPA using unauthorized withdrawals as "W", but AMCAS made them "F" grades. That was fun. . .