Non-Traditional Pharm D. Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RPH1NSAM

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I could field this question better if I knew what it was. 'non-traditional pharmD'?

My understanding is that non-traditional PharmD's are for people who already have a BS in pharmacy and now want to get a PharmD. I don't know enough about the program to say whether getting one is a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really in any position to comment on its worth, but I do know that Texas pharmacy schools instituted non-traditional Pharm.D. programs and have since discontinued them due to lack of interest, so it looks like not too many B.S. pharmacists are going back to get the Pharm.D. (at least not in Texas anyway).

I just learned today (my second day in the pharmacy at Walgreen's, hopefully I'll get a thread started on that) that the pharmacist on staff w/me completed his pharmD after receiving his BS. Interestingly, the dude went to my undergrad, U-Dub, before they had established a pharmD program. He completed a master's in pharmacy at u-dub, then did a one-year pharmD at UOP. He said "he was the one that did that", so maybe it was an exceptional case.

Anyway, from the way he described it was a very important career move for his employment prospects.

From the standpoint, it's a good idea. That said, my general thoughts are that if you're already out in the field for ten years with a BS and are doing well, you don't need to get a pharmD. Once again, there's gonna be a shortage of pharmacists for a long time. You're pretty safe in your position.