Non-Traditional Post-Bacc student - Pharmacy Tech or Plasma Phlebotomist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanadam89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished college in 2012 with B.S. Biology/Pre-Med. For 5 years I was a strength & conditioning/nutrition coach in minor league professional baseball for the Angels, Rays, and Rangers organizations. I am applying to medical school for 2019 entry. I received two job offers: a Phlebotomist at a Plasma Donation Center (30-40 sticks per day for me) or a pharmacy tech at a major food store called Hyvee (its upscale and high volume corporate pharmacy). The Pharmacy pays more money for bills, etc. What would be better use of my time? Thanks!! On the side every Thursday I volunteer in Chart Review at a medical school run community clinic with 1st year med students.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if that's you in your profile pic, I suggest you change it to preserve your anonimity.

Reactions: 1 user
I finished college in 2012 with B.S. Biology/Pre-Med. For 5 years I was a strength & conditioning/nutrition coach in minor league professional baseball for the Angels, Rays, and Rangers organizations. I am applying to medical school for 2019 entry. I received two job offers: a Phlebotomist at a Plasma Donation Center (30-40 sticks per day for me) or a pharmacy tech at a major food store called Hyvee (its upscale and high volume corporate pharmacy). The Pharmacy pays more money for bills, etc. What would be better use of my time? Thanks!! On the side every Thursday I volunteer in Chart Review at a medical school run community clinic with 1st year med students.

Honestly I would just go with whichever you enjoy more. I could maybe argue that the phlebotomist job will be more applicable and look better on apps cause you're seeing "patients" or customers or whatever. But you also already have that with your volunteering role. All things considered, both will be fine. Just do the one you'd enjoy more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
phlebotomist will give you a different type of patient interaction and is not a bad skill to develop. But if you need the pharmacy job to pay the bills, its probably ok to go that way.

I think the phlebotomist job would give you some good skills. The pharm tech job would give you a good foundation in medicine names and such, just always be inquisitive and ask what each medicine is for.

Both jobs would help you i think.