Non-Traditional Pre-med for DO/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poetic_Premium6

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been searching on this site and many others for sometime searching for relevant advice but I've come up empty! I am ideally interested in applying for DO/PhD or MD/PhD programs, mostly to compliment my interest in research. Therefore, I did not follow the pre-med route and have no intentions on backtracking.

I graduated with a double major (BA/BS), plenty of research, volunteer, publications, etc. and am enrolled in a master's degree at a prestigious public health school (concentrating in Toxicology/Pathophys). Even though biology was one of my undergrad degrees (w/ upper level molecular bio, microbiology, genomics/proeomics, etc.), my major concern is if my pre-reqs will hinder my application. I was not and never have been a pre-med student, so I am missing PHYS w/labs, ORGO 2, and Calc.

I've already given a lot of thought to this, but I want to know if if anyone can give me advice if missing these pre-reqs will hinder my application profile.

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

I am not an expert however, from what I am seeing is that you will need to have at minimum the prerequisites i.e.: biology I & II with labs, physics I & II with labs, chemistry I & II with labs, organic chemistry I & II with labs and more recently One semester of biochemistry. These prerequisites need to be met prior to matriculation, meaning prior to starting classes in med school.

There are a few people around here that ARE experts and will be able to answer you more clearly. However, my opinion is that it is best to have all completed prior to application. No matter how much science background you have, if you do not have the prerequisites, it will be a tough battle. Don't loose faith and never give up! All you need is Grit. See you in med schoo!

Best of luck!

I've never heard of being allowed to evade the pre-med prerequisites. Just do a post bac for a year and then apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to have all pre reqs done to apply, but it's usually a good idea to take most if not all of them before taking the MCAT.

You're coming into this right near the beginning of this upcoming application cycle. So this year is a wash. You're not ready to put together a serious application to get in starting fall 2018.

If I were you I would take physics 1 and 2 anywhere you can this summer. Get them out of the way. Can be at a CC, local state school, only thing that matters is you do well and absorb material for MCAT.

I would then take Orgo 2 this fall while studying for MCAT and shadowing. You will need some clinical experience to justify why you're make this move.

You don't need to take calc to get into med school. Some DO schools reccomend statistics but I cant think of any who require it. Dont take it if you do not need it.

Take the MCAT next Jan/Feb 2018. Put your app together late winter and early spring. Apply in May of 2018.

That's totally doable, most people come to this with a heck of a lot more classes to cross of the list and more serious grade repair or low MCAT grades. You could easily be in a position to have a good application for NEXT cycle.

good luck

Hey everyone, I've been searching on this site and many others for sometime searching for relevant advice but I've come up empty! I am ideally interested in applying for DO/PhD or MD/PhD programs, mostly to compliment my interest in research. Therefore, I did not follow the pre-med route and have no intentions on backtracking.

I graduated with a double major (BA/BS), plenty of research, volunteer, publications, etc. and am enrolled in a master's degree at a prestigious public health school (concentrating in Toxicology/Pathophys). Even though biology was one of my undergrad degrees (w/ upper level molecular bio, microbiology, genomics/proeomics, etc.), my major concern is if my pre-reqs will hinder my application. I was not and never have been a pre-med student, so I am missing PHYS w/labs, ORGO 2, and Calc.

I've already given a lot of thought to this, but I want to know if if anyone can give me advice if missing these pre-reqs will hinder my application profile.

Thanks !

I'm not sure what you mean by "hinder your application profile." If your pre-reqs are not completed or at minimum in progress when you submit your application, you will not pass any pre-screens.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile