non-traditional premeds age 22-27 - Fall 2005 application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bkiddoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to start a little thread for those of us who are applying to medical school this summer or later and are either just graduated (or will be this spring) from college up to 27 yrs old. I pick this age because there is a non-traditional thread for 27+. I think our age group shouldn't be ignored (not that the other thread was) and we might want to identify ourselves and get a feel for who is out there and posting. I think sometimes its nice to be able to find people close in age/situation/place in life applying to medical school. Pls don't be offened if youre a traditional applicant or over 27 - didnt mean to if I have... Plus, for completely selfish reasons, I'm just curious who out there on SDN falls into this category.

Members don't see this ad.

Well i'm 24, will be applying this June once my grades come in. Pretty much to make a long story short. Reason I am non-traditional is due to personal issues, such as paying for school, supporting myself and family, I had to post-pone my efforts over the past 5 years. Grades suffered due to full-time work efforts.

However upon graduating, switched gears to a post-bacc life in biomedical engineering. Money supply is doing better, family is doing better. Grades are 3.7 or so, MCAT is 34, 300 hours of volunteering/shadowing experience, 4 years of medical research, 20 publications as author and co-author, and other random EC's later, I am good to go for this June. My only concern is holding or improving this post-bacc GPA, and having all letters of rec in place before secondaries. Not to mention my transcripts sent out on time.

I feel that I am a stronger applicant due to my non-traditional qualities. I have seen more, experienced more, and have more to say about why i want to be a doctor. I think everyone should spend some time and see and live the world, rather than jump right into it. Seems like most docs regret that they jumped right into it.

I will be 25 in June. Although I am not applying anymore I am starting Medschool in the fall.

I agree that it is a wise move to not go straight from undergrad. I have been working in Biotech for 3 years, and I realize how much I hate working in a lab. My wife and I were able to buy a house and travel the world. It gives you a chance to figure out your priorities and what you want out of life. My resolve to be a doctor is much stronger than it would be if I went straight to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna be 24 in the Fall, and I'm currently in the first year of a 2-year Master's Program. I am taking the MCAT next month, and hopefully applying this coming cycle if all goes according to plan. I felt my undergrad GPA was borderline at best for admission to med school, so I figured why not better prepare myself with further study and avoid the real possibility of wasting all that money on applications that may not have gotten me anywhere. Needless to say, my MCAT score is going to play a large role in how I approach the coming months.

I will be 26 this summer when I apply... Very non-traditional from 6 figure income to this with no regrets! Well, given that I do well on the MCAT this April :)

I am going to be 24 in March and applying this June (FINALLY). I knew I wanted to become a doctor for as long as I can remember. But unfortunately, slacked off majorly during the first two years of college, but finished really strong with last three semesters of 4.0 GPA. After graduating in May 2003, I decided to stay at my college for graduate work instead of applying right away to do more research. By the time I go to med school, I would have had almost 4 years of research. No publications yet, but wrote undergrad honors thesis. My graduate research project is going really well right now (crossing my fingers for pubs). I have taken MCAT already so that's out of the way. All I have to do is apply. Nice to see other people in my situation. Keep in touch.

-J

I'm 23, will be 24 in September. Why am I a non-trad? Pregnant and married sophomore year college, took 5.3 years to graduate, taking a year (possibly two if I don't get into the one school I applied to this year) off and working full time, son is currently 3.5 and very very cute. He loves the alphabet and can sing it backwards. : )

I have all the right numbers, but with working full time and having a kid, there's just no time for volunteering! The panel of interviewers didn't see that as an acceptable answer, but competitive pool at UW, so still have a chance, albeit small.

Techinically, a non-traditional student is one that has been out of academia for at least 5 years before continuing their education.

I'll be 25 when I start in the fall, I graduated in 2002 and afterwards started working. I kept on applying and applying until I got in, needed to redo my MCAT a few times (wrote it 4 times!!!) but my verbal is still very low (English is not my first language) and finally got in :) . The past two years have been hard because I was truly depressed about not being in! HOWEVER, I feel that I am much more mature and stable than I was when I was 22 or 23 straight out of college. Plus I got to spend more time with my family, friends and cats (which I love SO MUCH!).:laugh:

24 years old
taking the year off after grad school to work and play before the war begins:p
This is my first time applying...im really nervous:(

Great thread!

Just turned 25. I became premed really late in undergrad, and then continued my premed studies post-bacc. I majored in econ and a math-related subject in college, so since I graduated, I've worked in public health and policy research. My academic stats are decent (took the MCAT in August and also received an okay score). I will be applying for the first time this coming fall and am nervous as hell.

My ECs are sort of my weakness. I haven't shadowed a doctor. I've volunteered a few years at a children's hospital, and have tutored adults in literacy and math, but I don't have much else.
I'm very glad I took some time off before medical school - I was sort of floundering my senior year in college, and now I feel more independent and have my life somewhat in order.

Turning 25 in August, graduated in 2001 with a degree in Medical Technology. I'm applying this June but I'm really struggling with the MCAT. I'm glad that I made the decision not to apply right after school. I've experienced so much and I feel that it has helped me mature and see, realistically, what the world is really about. I"m taking a PR class right now and I don't see how they would let some of my fellow classmates into med school. They're so young and naive. I don't think a single one of them has ever had to work for a paycheck in order for them to pay rent and eat. I do find that working fulltime in college was a disadvantage in relation to my GPA. But I've gotten over that. Now it's time for the real madness!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I applied last cycle, I am somewhat non-traditional. I am a married 22 year old whose wife is also a college student (We got married at age 20). Although it wasn't easy, we both put ourselves through college and made it with flying colors. Even while working, I maintained a 4.0 GPA as a chemistry/biology double major, traveled, did research, and got a 32 MCAT. You don't have to be rich and single to go to medical school. However, I think that most of the people here can claim that they are nontraditional students for one reason or another. Good luck to those of you who are taking the MCAT and applying this summer and fall. I can't wait to get there.

Originally posted by Ernham
Techinically, a non-traditional student is one that has been out of academia for at least 5 years before continuing their education.

I'm interested in your source... because the medical schools im applying to classify me as a non-traditional student and I have not been out of academia for five years. but who the hell cares anyway, right?

thanks for everyone who is posting! its so nice to see you all and I'm sure once we get to the nitty-gritty of applications and writing personal statements, it will be great to have an identified peer group for some hard core moral support and laughs...

bump it up, don't let us be lost...:clap: :clap:

I'll be 25 when I apply. I did poorly as an undergrad...went and did research for 2 years and got a couple publications. Almost went into biotech (bioinformatics) and decided I wanted whole heartedly to pursue my dream, a dream I was not yet mature enough handle. Returned to school completing a post-bac. In 2 semesters completed 33 semester credits of upper division sciences with a 3.92. MCAT shall be taken this summer (August) and I will continue to take classes and work full time during the application cycle. If I don't get in I will simply reapply. Good Luck to all my fellow non-trads!!

If you have taken the time to explore the world during the time when others were slaving over text books, I think that truley a non-trad has a unique perspective and a medical school school would be well served having such a unique figure bringing a "new light" to share with others. A few years in the real world can bring about a difference.

Tooth

I'm 25 now, will be taking the MCAT this April. I did a five year combined BS-MS program in CS (that's a mouthful!) before entering the work world. I actually did my pre-reqs in college, did volunteer work since high school, and worked at a hospital for three years. Now I am furiously preparing for the MCAT while working fulltime, and have been advised to do some volunteer work b/c I'm a bit behind on it.

I burned out in college and didn't feel I could commit to such a huge investment as medical school but a year away from school has made me reassess my life and I realized I did actually want to go into medicine....so here I am. If all goes well, I will matriculate into med school next year!

I'll be 22 when I apply in June. Couldn't make up my mind about medicine for a while but finally decided to go for it junior year. I'm taking the MCAT in April. In my year off (or more if I don't get in), I plan to work in a non-medical field, travel, and volunteer.

Hello,

I am 26. I am finishing up my post-bacc. I was an English major in college, took a year off (waitressing) went to law school, graduated in May, and then immediately went into the post-bacc program. I will be taking the August MCAT. I will be applying this June.

24 years of age. accepted to med school and will start this fall.

25 years old....single parent with one child...accepted to med school and will be attending this fall.

ivy degree
below average gpa > 3.2
30 mcat
tons of work and volunteer experience
research experience

very tiring process. i have been attempting to apply since 1998 right before my junior year in college, but never got up the nerve or was always met with various obstacles. my college class (2000)..most of them will be graduating from med school THIS may. a little daunting that i will be JUST STARTING....but i am glad my long and twisted road has led me to an acceptance finally.

goodluck to all

I'm 27 years old, sold everything I owned after undergrad (English major) in NC and moved to Chicago, IL to pursue post-bac pre-med/vet studies at Loyola. I didn't even have a job!
I, too, was turned off by the pre-med monsters and cruised through undergrad with a 3.2 gpa. The desire for medicine kept eating at me, and I regretted not applying myself in college. As a result, I came to Chicago to become a vet, but find myself turning more and more towards human medicine. By May, I will have completed my pre-reqs with a solid science GPA, and will take the MCAT next April. I have a loooot of work to do in terms of ECs, but I have some good research experience from college and volunteering at the American Red Cross and Ronald McDonald House. This is a long road, but the only thing I feel like I sacrifice is sleep. Whew! Best of luck to everybody here!!!

bump!

hey to the new postings, and thanks for introducing yourself.

i went to a medical school party last night (i'm the only one of my friends not in medical school yet) and I met SO many non-traditionals, its was just great.

keep up the great work everyone. And keep on truckin' to those taking the april MCAT.

after serious considerations, I have decided to post-pone the MCAT until August.

G'uck to all, and nice to meet you...

I'll be thirty-one when I start med school this fall. I was accepted to Albany so that means transplanting my family from Denver to NY- a husband, a one year old and two dogs. YIKES!

I decided at 28 to pursue medicine after being unfulfilled as a lab rat and a nurse. I'm just glad to finally be pursing my dreams!

Oh congrats! G'luck and keep us informed. Why did you decide to switch to medine after nursing? How long were you a nurse until you figured you wanted to be a physician.

I guess I'm pushing the limit for non-traditionals. I'm over 40 and starting medical school this summer. I was a petroleum engineer for ARCO and BP for 20 + years and got to travel the world-North Sea, Kuwait, Saudi and Indonesia. I got tired of the corporate structure and got out. During my wife's terminal illness in 1998-2000 I developed an interest in medicine and after her death followed up with leveling courses and graduate study in molecular bio. MCAT 33 and 3.70GPA Next stop- medical school! Good luck to you all.

hey rancherdoc,

i was an undergrad at a college with (apparently) one of -the- best post-bacc programs around (or so they tell us). and one of the PBs in my orgo class was a 50 year old ex navy seal... you arent pushing it at all :)

welcome!

I finished only one of two years of nursing school when I realized it just wasn't for me. I wanted to make the decisions and not just carry them out. So, after one year I left, took the MCAT, took a year off after having my son, and then applied.

Now I am scared to death about trying to handle med school and a family :eek:

Hopefully we will all come out more or less unscathed!!!;)

what does your husband do? there was a thread a while back about female medical students having children. they all seemed to handle it quite well. i could imagine it takes some getting used to, but the realization you'll be a doctor must make it easier!

and albany isnt a horrible place either :)

My husband is a Software Engineer, so he should probably be able to get a job in Albany (fingers crossed), although he currently is in aerospace and will probably have to give that up.

I think in one sense it is harder with a family to go to med school with the increased responsibilites. But I also think they provide so much support and they make you remember that there are other things in life besides medicine that are important!

I am 27 and will be applying this coming cycle. I took the mcat already (thank god) and am working as a cytotechnologist now. I am so glad I did not go the traditional route because of all the stress. I am glad I got to experience college and enjoy myself without constantly worrying about getting a B- in chemistry!
I am curious about post-bac programs because if I don't get in I will consider going to one. Did anyone here do a post bac after already completing their pre reqs? Did you have to quit work and live in poverty? Also was it worth it?

I'm 22. Worked and paid for college myself. own my own car, which I paid for. I pay my own rent, for my own dining bills, for my own beer, for my own bills. When I get to med school next year, I'll be 23 and will also be paying for everything. How? PM me.

I'm 26 now, but by the time I apply for med school, I will be 28. I've had a long, weird road to where I am now - high school drop out, was out of school for 4 years, toured with a symphony for a year, decided I wanted to make a real living. So...got interested in optometry, busted my ass to get my high school courses, then really busted my ass in undergrad to get into optometry school in only 3 years. Now I'm just finishing up my second year of optometry school, and realizing that I don't like all this optics stuff, and want to do more disease based practice. So I'll be writing the MCAT this summer or next and applying after I finish my optometry. Kind of a circuitous route, but in order to be able to support myself, I need to have a decent job (and what better part time job can you have than an optometrist! :D )
Good luck to all of us non-trad pre-meds - i think school's look favorably on us! :thumbup:

I'm 26, will hopefully start med school next year. Also turned off by pre-med monsters... so I turned to research. Realized that I didn't like research for a life long career, so set my sites back on medical school.

Like others...I worked 30yrs/week all 4 years of undergrad, which significantly affected my gpa (cum 3.2)

Worked as a research assistant for 3 years after graduating (2 first author papers, 2 abstracts). Applied to med school and was rejected b/c of my GPA. Started 1yr Master program (so far have 1 paper in press (not first author), and 1 abstract) and have a 3.7. Pleeeeze let this be the last time I have to apply!!!! :oops:

Hey Guys

Thought I'd let you know that Columbia P&S seems to like the "non-trads". 50% of their class has taken at least 1 year off. Their average student age is 24. Most students have taken about 2 years off. I thought I would be one of the oldest students there (turning 27 this summer) but I was in similar company over the revisit weekend - many 24+ year olds..and some in their 30's as well. A good mix of people.

b

I am 27 and will be appyling for the class beginning in Fall 2005. I was a history/polisci double major in college. I have a law degree and practice intellectual property law in NYC for over 3 years and then went back and am finishing my post-bac studies. I will take the August MCAT.

Good luck everyone-- I hope to run into some of you at interviews.