Non traditional Route B.S. in I.T.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLPreMedGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So after Searching on the forums and not finding anything I was wondering if anyone here knows someone, or has heard of a Student with a B.S. in Information Technology get into medical school assuming that they have completed the prereqs for Medical School.

The reason I ask is because I like Computers and I am also fascinated by the human body and how everything functions. Now I know that you can get in with any bachelors but I was just curious as to if this degree would set me apart from the rest would help/hurt me? :confused:

I hope I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks

FLPreMedGuy :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Just got in and I have a B.S. in IT :)

But you can major in anything you like. Do what you like in undergrad.

Just got in and I have a B.S. in IT :)

But you can major in anything you like. Do what you like in undergrad.

CONGRATS! Good luck in the years to come.

Did you do anything like volunteering? Besides the B.S. in IT what else have you done? Hope to keep in contact with you to see how its going for you when you start!

Members don't see this ad :)
As with any major, you have to volunteer and shadow doctors. I think I read it's suggested 200+ hours each. I did around 200 volunteering and probably 300 shadowing (and counting still). Did Organic Chem research. Some clinical research with one of the docs I'm shadowing. Then some other random extracurriculars. I actually worked full-time for 3 years after graduating with my degree, then came back to do the pre-reqs. I'm sure the work experience helped, but you don't have to go that route. I just changed my mind about what I wanted to do for a living. Feel free to ask questions :)

Yes, volunteer, shadow, research. All will help. The point is that if you want to be a doctor you want to do these things as a matter of course.

Jump in! The water is fine.

I love this thread, already. I'm in the same boat. B.A. in Business Admin, majoring in CIS. I've been out for three years and actually worked halfway through my MBA before I decided to change to pre-med.

Bigboosting, congrats, first of all, but I wanted to ask how well you were received in interviews? How easy was it to explain you got a degree, worked for three years, and then had a change of heart?

I'm in the same boat with a B.S. in Computer Science. I've been in IT for 7 years and plan to start my pre-med courses in January. Here's a thread another guy has started but it hasn't been updated since January 2009. It does have some good info for people switching from IT to med.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=410594

Bigboosting, congrats, first of all, but I wanted to ask how well you were received in interviews? How easy was it to explain you got a degree, worked for three years, and then had a change of heart?

I think I was received well overall. I actually worked programming medical software (medical records, practice management, imaging, etc.) before, so a lot of interviewers were interested in that and how that would help me as a doctor. Everyone asked why the switch and how I came to decide medicine from programming...so definitely be prepared to answer that. No one viewed it as a negative (I think). If anything it made me more interesting to them, in my opinion. Definitely explain that it wasn't a spontaneous decision. I made sure everyone knew I researched medicine heavily before quitting my job and coming back to school..it wasn't an overnight thing. That's important to show you're not just going to change your mind mid-way through med school

I think I was received well overall. I actually worked programming medical software (medical records, practice management, imaging, etc.) before, so a lot of interviewers were interested in that and how that would help me as a doctor. Everyone asked why the switch and how I came to decide medicine from programming...so definitely be prepared to answer that. No one viewed it as a negative (I think). If anything it made me more interesting to them, in my opinion. Definitely explain that it wasn't a spontaneous decision. I made sure everyone knew I researched medicine heavily before quitting my job and coming back to school..it wasn't an overnight thing. That's important to show you're not just going to change your mind mid-way through med school

I think it comes down to the core questions to a non-trad. Why medicine? Why now? The twist with IT (or any other path non med path) is , "what did you learn from your prior career that will make you a better doc?".

For me it was leadership and entrepreneurship and the lessons that came with it. You have to tell your story of how you came to medicine and how your past makes you better for it. It is not a barrier. You can make it a strength, but it depends on your story.

I'm a MS1. I have a Bachelors in Business Administration with an emphasis in economics, real estate, and information systems. I went back and took all of the prerequisite courses, and I had no problems during the admission process.

The key is knowing why you want to be a physician and being able to express that desire based on your experiences in the medical arena. You need to get solid exposure to the field to be able to validate that desire.