Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Non-traditional student - 2004 maybe

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DocConnie, Nov 15, 2001.

1. DocConnie

DocConnie Junior Member

Hi All,

I am 33 and work in clinical research for a major pharmaceutical industry for the last 8 years and taught science, math, etc. part-time for 10 years. I have a BA in biology, MA Science and currently completing my MBA. I am also married with a 3 year old. I want to convince my husband that I finally want to do this.

stats
    Undergrad GPA 2.3
    Grad 3.5
    Grad 3.9 so far
    I took the MCAT in 1991 but will take it again.

Anyone have any thoughts? You guys all impress me so much with your stats that I am a little embarassed to post mine.

2. EMDrMoe

EMDrMoe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First of all, don't be embarassed to post your stats. As a non-traditional student, you'll have a lot more going for you than numbers. A dream is a dream regardless of your past. It only sees the future. Your experiences are noteworthy and your grad work is excellent. Look for schools that are more understanding. My interviewer actually said "that's not you now" regarding my poor undergrad grades.

So, in a nutshell - Go For It!!!

3. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dig this, connie:

Ugrad GPA 2.8, left school without degree 1993

Returned to school 1998, changed major to biology, 3.96 since return, but overall GPA still only 3.06 and science GPA only 3.59.

37-39 MCAT april 2001

Accepted to Med School November 2001

also taught Ochem three semesters, did some research, etc.

My message? GO FOR IT. You willalways regret if you don't. Your grad grades are awesome. with your experience and a solid MCAT, you'll be in the pink! GOOD LUCK!

4. Ciardeme

Ciardeme Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

OP, go for it. I am in a similar situation. Just turned 30, undergrad GPA 2.6, masters in bio GPA 3.8, but was crushed by the MCAT. Working in clinical research for 4 years now. Lots of volunteer experience! I am applying, but am convinced the MCAT has made it impossible. Advice: don't give up! Make it your GOAL, not your DREAM. good luck!