non traditional student and schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fseven

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Does anyone know of any schools (US) that have a good reputation of accepting solid nontraditional students? Please let me know. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. Does anyone know of any schools (US) that have a good reputation of accepting solid nontraditional students? Please let me know. Thank you!

Look thru this topic, I'm sure that you will find other threads that answer this question. In general, if you don't have the numbers (GPA and MCAT), it doesn't matter how old you are. I'm sure that is what most admission committees will be looking at.

If it is between allopathic (MD) and osteopathic (DO), I believe that nontrads seem to be more widely accepted.

LECOM. If you are non-trad and solid. They will take you. LECOM's goal is to populate the planet with non-trad, well educated, DO's doing primary care. It's about the whole package, not just the numbers. I went there, I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely a better chance at osteopathic schools... and this has historically been true forever. My Uncle (now 80-something and retired) went to PCOM in the 50s after WWII and a different career. Became a fabulous family practice doc who just recently retired.

LECOM definitely caters more towards nontrad but don't think for a minute numbers are not looked at. I should know. Even though I still didn't get into their med program, I did get a lot out of their Post-bac program and did better the second time on the MCAT. I was still considered not "competitive enough".

LECOM definitely caters more towards nontrad but don't think for a minute numbers are not looked at. I should know. Even though I still didn't get into their med program, I did get a lot out of their Post-bac program and did better the second time on the MCAT. I was still considered not "competitive enough".
sorry to hear that, don't give up though. apply again. yes LECOM likes the well rounded on trad but you still gotta have the numbers. keep trying!

There are no schools that do not accept well-qualified non-traditional students. Students are not accepted or denied because of being "non-traditional" or "traditional" but rather because they are well prepared or not well prepared. Your age by itself is not going to be a factor for or against you but your application will either be competitive or non-competitive (just like enzyme inhibition).

I would seriously question any school that boasts of a "reputation" of accepting any one particular demographic of student. Since patients come in all ages, ethnicities and types, medical students like patients should come in all demographics.

I was accepted (at age 45) by every school that I applied to and never considered the "reputation" of the school in terms of being non-traditional friendly or not. There just weren't that many people my age even applying. This was back in 1997 (ten years ago). There are certainly more non-traditional students attending medical school today than back in 1998 and thus definitely, if you are well-prepared and qualified, you will get in. Pick the schools that interest your and apply.