Non-traditional student needing advice on school selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcdingleberries

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from California and I have 2.79 GPA majoring in economics from UC Berkeley and I graduated in 2004. I worked in civil engineering for 2 years and decided it wasn't right for me. I decided to try medicine and science and did post-bac work at UCLA and got a 3.83 in all the science classes. I have worked in medical clinics (my dad is a doctor), volunteered mentoring underprivileged kids and also worked doing research in the center for health sciences at UCLA. I also have a guilty record for an infraction in 2004 for challenging to fight in public, but it was really a pretty crappy situation where the cops were just looking to make an example of someone and arrest them. I just got a 33 O on my MCAT VR 8, PS, 13, BS 12. I would like to get into a california school or a school like george washington or georgetown. What do you think my chances are and which schools should I apply to? Thanks for you help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am from California and I have 2.79 GPA majoring in economics from UC Berkeley and I graduated in 2004. I worked in civil engineering for 2 years and decided it wasn't right for me. I decided to try medicine and science and did post-bac work at UCLA and got a 3.83 in all the science classes. I have worked in medical clinics (my dad is a doctor), volunteered mentoring underprivileged kids and also worked doing research in the center for health sciences at UCLA. I also have a guilty record for an infraction in 2004 for challenging to fight in public, but it was really a pretty crappy situation where the cops were just looking to make an example of someone and arrest them. I just got a 33 O on my MCAT VR 8, PS, 13, BS 12. I would like to get into a california school or a school like george washington or georgetown. What do you think my chances are and which schools should I apply to? Thanks for you help.

i'd say with that gpa and mcat, you have a decent change at CA schools and GW/GT. I'd apply to all cali and gw/gt since you seem set on going to those places.

of course, also apply to safeties outside of california (there are no 'safeties' in cali). Look at an MSAR to get a good sense of what is a safety... something with 0.3-0.4 lower gpa, and 3-4 lower mcat.