Non-traditional student - Respiratory Therapist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lachee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Thanks everyone. I gained a lot of info. from this site. I'd like to find out if anyone out there has similar experience to mine.

I have been in the States for 5 years as an international student (from Hong Kong). Even though I have my mind set on becoming a physician, I haven't been doing things that are traditional to other premeds. All the classes that I took these five years are from community colleges because I cannot afford the high international tuition fees at a 4-year university; also, I want to wait for my "green card" (since my family are immigrants already) before I transfer to a university (so that I can apply for loan or pay in-state fees).

This year I will finish my 5th year at a community college with an Assoc. in Respiratory Therapy and a whole bunch of science classes. If I can secure a loan, I can transfer to the University of Michigan as a junior this Fall (otherwise need to postpone again). And around that time, my "green card" application may also be approved. In the meantime I am also preparing for MCAT and look out for a job in respiratory therapy.

I am 29 now, being a foreigner and a non-native English speaker, I wonder if anyone out there has similar experience. I want to exchange insights and support. I also want to know if my clinical experience and future job experience in respiratory therapy can substitute volunteer and research experiences.

Any insights welcome.
smile.gif

My email: [email protected]

Already felt better writing this down......

THANKS.

Members don't see this ad.

Another question I have is that I currently live in New York city but I was considering a move to Texas thinking that it might be easier to get into med school there. I can finish my associates here and go do my bachelors there and apply there. Or should I stay in my current school and finish my bachelors here showing stability?