Non-traditional student w/ new OAT score. Chances to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted810749

I was freaking out today because I was taking the OAT at 5 PM today. I was so nervous my hands were shaking. Through the exam, I had a bad feeling about it and thought I would have to take it again. But I got a better score than I thought I would get.

QR : 380
RC : 290
BIO : 300
GC : 370
OC : 340
PHY : 300

TS : 330
TA : 330

I had a bunch of questions I was not familiar about in bio section and had to guess lots of them.. For reading, I'm actually happy on what I got. For physics, I'm kinda sad that I got a low score because it was one of strong subject. But overall, I'm happy.

For a guy who are a non-traditional student, who had a break from school for 4 years due to work/family circumstances, I think I got what I deserve for studying 2 months for it.

My GPA is around 3.0 and my science GPA is probably lower than that. During the summer, I'm planning to retake 4 classes(Bio 1 / Orgo 1 and Bio 2/ Orgo 2 : I got C's on those 4) so I can bring up my GPAreally bit. I have bunch of shadowing experience form one optometrist. I can get recommendation letters from my former employee, optometrist(one) and hopefully from the instructors in summer school. What else do you think I need? Is my OAT score good enough?(I really hope so).

I really hope I have a chance to get into one of the optometry schools for this year. Let me know what do you guys think on my stats.

Thank you for your time reading my post!
JT

Members don't see this ad.

If you're applying for the 2017 entering class, it's very likely you're too late. OAT is average, they might question that RC score. I think you should make sure your personal statement is extremely strong and without any grammatical mistakes. GPA is a little low but if you're retaking those classes you can very well bring it up. If you mean you're applying for 2018, you have a good shot at getting some interviews. Just make sure your statement and letters of recommendation are really strong. Best of luck!

If you're applying for the 2017 entering class, it's very likely you're too late. OAT is average, they might question that RC score. I think you should make sure your personal statement is extremely strong and without any grammatical mistakes. GPA is a little low but if you're retaking those classes you can very well bring it up. If you mean you're applying for 2018, you have a good shot at getting some interviews. Just make sure your statement and letters of recommendation are really strong. Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I need to retake my OAT? its solid right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your OAT is pretty solid except for the 290 RC but I doubt you would have to retest. I think you have a pretty good shot at getting interviews and ultimately being accepted. I have very similar stats to you and I'm a non traditional student as well. I was accepted to Nova and Midwestern AZ and will be attending Midwestern this fall.
I recommend getting your application in when the new cycle opens since the schools have rolling admissions. Work on your personal statement and make sure it's strong.

Your OAT is average and your GPA is sub par. I think it'd be hard to get into this cycle and since most the programs have filled up. I'd apply early next cycle.

Your OAT is average and your GPA is sub par. I think it'd be hard to get into this cycle and since most the programs have filled up. I'd apply early next cycle.
Yeah I meant next cycle, which opens this july.

Your OAT is fine. I would work on improving your GPA. I had very similar stats GPA wise (slightly lower) and took time off after school and worked on my masters degree (mainly As while working full time) . I got accepted into 2 schools and extended interviews to 4 total (declined the 2 other interviews). Currently a first year and doing just fine in my classes. I think the key is to APPLY EARLY