Quantcast

Non-traditional student with lots of medical experience.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsman33

Reaction score
I was wondering what you each though my chances of getting into medical school are? I have a non-traditional background and my stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.1

Although my GPA is very low it is soley due to bad grades from over 11 years ago. When I turned 18 I matriculated at the University of California Davis and ditched school as much as possible (really really stupid in retrospect). I received horrible grades. 11 years later and I now have a B.S. degree in Lifescience where I received straight A's from the university (summa cum laude). Over the last 10 years I have maintained a 3.94 gpa (if you exclude UC Davis, which I know is not realistic considering AMCAS adds all grades). The only negative fact is that the university is National University (which definately isn't on par with the likes of Harvard etc).

The reason I attended National University is because I worked full time as an active duty United States Navy, corpsman supporting three children and a wife while going through school. National University was the only accredited school that would work with my schedule. 50% of the schools I have called said that as long as the school is accredited they will not rate one school over another, but other schools have admitted that they judge the academic rigor of the schools.

As an active duty corpsman of over 4 years, I have significant medical experience:

I am an Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor (I certify physicians and nurses in ACLS)

I am a Basic Life Support Instructor (I certify providers in BLS or "cpr")

I am and EKG analysis Instructor

I recover patient's in the PACU daily as part of my routine job.

I have significant Navy awards such as sailor of the year for my directorate in the hospital.

I take the MCAT on July 6, but I anticipate a score in the low 30's based on practice exams (hopefully higher :) )

I am a CA resident, but am applying to both in state and out of state MD and DO schools.

I am relying on good grades over the recent years (but bad early on), significant medical experience (leadership, etc), good time management (juggling school, work, and family), and good interviewing skills.

What are my chances?

Last edited:

Mindscrew

MS MHA-MPH
Reaction score
your GPA repair is a great thing and shows you are committed.

have you written the MCAT?

corpsman33

Reaction score
your GPA repair is a great thing and shows you are committed.

have you written the MCAT?

I am currently reviewing the Kaplan 5 subject books, and am studying them very diligently (I will have been studying for 4 months solid by the MCAT). I have also ordered practice exams from the aamc website and have utilized the free version. I took 18 days off of work prior to the exam so that I could put in long/solid study hours.

Pons Asinorum

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you make low/mid-30's and apply broadly to MD and DO programs, you will get in. I'll bet the farm. The MCAT will be the kicker though, as performing well on it can validate the NU classes that you've been involved with. Please spend a little time around the MCAT forum here for great info on how to use the time between now and July and either ask there or here. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you might have as well. Best of luck.

corpsman33

Reaction score
If you make low/mid-30's and apply broadly to MD and DO programs, you will get in. I'll bet the farm. The MCAT will be the kicker though, as performing well on it can validate the NU classes that you've been involved with. Please spend a little time around the MCAT forum here for great info on how to use the time between now and July and either ask there or here. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you might have as well. Best of luck.

Thanks, for the help and concern!! I typically do very well on standardized tests (sats, etc., etc.) and I will have taken 6 full length practice exams by July 6th. I know the MCAT is not like other tests, but I will heed your suggestion and view the MCAT thread. Thanks again!

Pons Asinorum

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks, for the help and concern!! I typically do very well on standardized tests (sats, etc., etc.) and I will have taken 6 full length practice exams by July 6th. I know the MCAT is not like other tests, but I will heed your suggestion and view the MCAT thread. Thanks again!

I'm guessing that the FL's you're talking about are the Kaplan exams; not bad, but I (and the people who are better at MCAT advice than am I) highly/strongly/strenuously recommend taking every one of the AAMC practice FL's (AAMC #3-11 in the SDN parlance.) Go read around in there, focus on SN2ed's 3-month plan that is stickied and come back and let's discuss.

corpsman33

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the FL's you're talking about are the Kaplan exams; not bad, but I (and the people who are better at MCAT advice than am I) highly/strongly/strenuously recommend taking every one of the AAMC practice FL's (AAMC #3-11 in the SDN parlance.) Go read around in there, focus on SN2ed's 3-month plan that is stickied and come back and let's discuss.

Actually, I was referring to the aamc practice tests :). I did not take the Kaplan course, but rather ordered the kaplan study books to brush up on the material. Each books comes with like 350 practice questions on each subject, but the full length exams I am referring to are the aamc exams. Thanks again for your help!! :D

Pons Asinorum

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Actually, I was referring to the aamc practice tests :). I did not take the Kaplan course, but rather ordered the kaplan study books to brush up on the material. Each books comes with like 350 practice questions on each subject, but the full length exams I am referring to are the aamc exams. Thanks again for your help!! :D

You're welcome. Thank you for your service. Best of luck.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.