Non-Traditional Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJohnson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, as the title says I am a non-traditional student. I earned my undergraduate degree in Information Systems from a liberal arts college in Western New York with a 3.68 GPA. I then enrolled at RIT where I graduated with an MS in Information Technology with a 3.86 GPA.

I work as a Network Engineer but find the career pretty unfulfilling. I have spent six months donating my free time on weekends to help out at hospitals and have shadowed both an MD and a DO.

After working three years as an Engineer I want to become a Doctor. I want to have a career that makes a difference in this world. Unfortunately, I do not have the prerequisite science courses completed as I would need to take biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics.

What GPA in these courses would most medical school be looking for? Does my 3.86 GPA in graduate school make a difference?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you will apply to mid-range schools- a science GPA of 3.5-3.75 will put you in a good spot. Obviously, the higher the better, but if you can make it through those pre reqs with A's and B+'s you should be OK. Your grad school GPA will weigh an, and help, but not as much as strong science grades will and they will most likely look at your undergrad GPA more (3.68 puts you in a great place). The biggest components will be that science GPA and your MCAT score (30+) because it will demonstrate you have a strong base in the sciences. Your shadowing sounds good so be sure to get Letters of rec from those docs.

The mean GPA for acceptees is 3.6 these days, and the mean MCAT 30.6. To fine tune your numerical goals, you might want to access the sticky at the top of this forum that gives mean stats for all US med schools, "School Selection spreadsheet". Particularly, check out the stats on your state schools and any other preferred institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. Does it matter where I earn these required science courses? I already have degrees from two other colleges with solid reputations.

Some med schools are picky about where you take your prerequisites, preferring that you go to a four-year college/university. Others don't mind if you take courses at a community college, provided you get an excellent MCAT score. Practically speaking, the difference between the two is that CC courses tend not to have the degree of rigor that would best prepare one to take the MCAT and achieve the highest possible score. You can call admissions offices of your preferred med schools and get their opinion, if you'd prefer to go to a CC.

Would you recommend a Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Studies program? I am reasonable confident that I could get into the program offered by the University of Rochester.

Formal post-bacs tend to be a lot more expensive than just taking the courses on your own. If cost is no object, then going that route is reasonable, as they often have great counseling, research opportunities, MCAT prep, clinical exposure and shadowing options.