Non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dlsprngr88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated 6 years ago with a degree in business management. I chose the path of business because I had no idea what I wanted to do in life, and after some poor advising I closed my eyes and randomly selected my "life's work". I have spent the past five years traveling between the Virgin Islands and Maryland working as a licensed mariner captain. A little over a year ago, I realized my passion is in health and fitness and that my future is in healthcare. I returned back to the states and immediately registered for courses at the community college.

I am absolutely determined, and will do whatever it takes to become a doctor and dedicate my life to enhancing the live's of others.

The mountain to climb...

I graduated with a 2.5 GPA. However, since I returned to school I have taken a year (2semesters) of bio, a&p, as well as chem and received an "A" in every course. I have also taken a semester of physics and 3 upper level psych courses, also receiving all A's. I completed these 40+ credits in only a year, and there is an obvious improvement in my work ethic between now and 5 years ago when I graduated. I make strong efforts to communicate with all of my professors, and I have been offered LORs from several, highly respected professors.

My relative experience includes working as an aide, for 4 years, for a couple who have a disabled daughter with a ringed X chromosome. I have also spent some quality time shadowing physical therapists and primary care physicians. I also have plans to shadow a DO and some doctors of internal medicine.

I have already begun preparing for the MCAT, for which I have not decided when I will take it. I still have to complete Physics II and a year of Organic Chem. Believe it or not, I am excited to take the MCAT. I am a highly effective test taker and welcome the challenge.

Basically, I am looking for any feedback, positive or negative on my situation. As a non-traditional student, providing solid academic improvement, what are my chances? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you project your cGPA, BCPM, and science GPA to be a year from now, assuming similar academic performance?

What plan do you have for acquiring clinical experience with sick people over the next year (shadowing doesn't cover this expectation. The aide work might help, but it depends on what you do).

Any community service to mention?

Are there any really low grades on your earlier transcript that you could retake to take advantage of the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy?

I apologize for the extremely late response. I have been insanely busy.
After the coming year I should have a cGPA slightly over a 3.0 with a science GPA at 4.0.

As an aide, I spend most of my time feeding and changing her, as well as giving her baths. She is 16 years old with the mentality of an infant, but remains absolutely happy. My time with her has changed my life.

As far as low grades from my undergrad, I plan on applying for med school next june or july, for the 2013 school year. During that time, I plan on continuing to take courses, as a full time student, to improve my cGPA. I plan on taking the MCAT early June. I have already begun preparing. I plan on performing at a high level. I feel I retain the information well and I am a strong test taker, especially standardized testing.

I am also planning on starting the Little Buddy Program this coming Fall. I have experience with children having down syndrome and I wish to dedicate time to them.

I feel I have been quite selfish growing up, and I want to make up for it by dedicating my life to helping others. I am determined to get there.