Non-Traditional Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spacey25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just wanted to get some outside opinions on my situation. I earned my degree in biology in the summer of 2011 in a semi-unrelated field, I wanted to work with animals. I have worked in optometry offices for the past 5 years and have recently decided that although I like working with animals I would like to do that more as a hobby and focus on a medical career. I have an abundance of experience with optometrists and after researching more in the healthcare field I think that I may be interested in ophthalmology or possible even some other medical specialty.
Basically I feel like I'm a little late in the game in preparing for med school. My plan is to apply to a master's program at Midwestern University in Chicago which is specifically designed to boast one's academic standing in preparation for med school. I'm just kind of getting started on this path and would like some helpful tips or encouragement. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I just wanted to get some outside opinions on my situation. I earned my degree in biology in the summer of 2011 in a semi-unrelated field, I wanted to work with animals. I have worked in optometry offices for the past 5 years and have recently decided that although I like working with animals I would like to do that more as a hobby and focus on a medical career. I have an abundance of experience with optometrists and after researching more in the healthcare field I think that I may be interested in ophthalmology or possible even some other medical specialty.
Basically I feel like I'm a little late in the game in preparing for med school. My plan is to apply to a master's program at Midwestern University in Chicago which is specifically designed to boast one's academic standing in preparation for med school. I'm just kind of getting started on this path and would like some helpful tips or encouragement. :oops:
I expect you must have terrific experience working directly with patients already. You might consider broadening your experience with a volunteer gig somewhere where there is a higher concentration of acutely ill people, like a hospital, free clinic, skilled-level nursing home, hospice, or rehab center to further test a career in medicine. Also, physician shadowing is a general expectation by the time you apply. Besides possibly shadowing an ophthalmologist, it's a good idea to include a primary care doc as well, eg pediatrician, internist, family doc, or OBGYN. Including other specialties besides is fine, but not required.

Other types of activities that strengthen a med school application are peer leadership, teaching, research, and nonmedical community service (which includes Humane Society and such). Do you have any of these, perhaps from the college years?