Non-traditional students with their Masters in Social Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExistentialistPhilosopher

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a long shot, but I just wanted to know if there were any non-traditional applicants who received a Master's in Social Work before turning to medicine as a career path. I am in college and I am unsure about what I want to do with the rest of my life, but I've seriously been considering joining Americorps for a year and then getting an MSW, or possibly a combined MSW/MPH, and eventually working with domestic violence issues. However, part of me wants to go into medicine, for many personal reasons. As I'm sure many of you know, choosing to go into medicine is a serious decision, one that I feel I can't make right now without exploring other potential careers. I've decided at this point to pursue the "easier", less expensive career path, social work, which I am still passionate about, and to return to medicine later if I feel the inclination to do so. Are there other people with MSWs who have decided to go into medicine? If so, why? How were you received by med school adcoms, and by your classmates? Any regrets?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am an "older" non-trad who started out with a Master's in Psychology. I eventually became a Director of Counseling for Planned Parenthood and then an Executive Director of a battered women's shelter. I too loved psych/social work, but also medicine. I became a nurse a few years ago and presently work as a critical care RN as I pursue my dream of becoming a physician. Good luck in whatever you decide.