1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Non-Traditional Thread (I mean my major not the thread!)

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Barking Lamb, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Barking Lamb

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Howdy,

I was in the wave of applicants that got verified today and I was pleased with my GPA's. However, what is the point of SDN if you aren't going to have hundreds of people critique you and suggest you wait a year to apply!

When I started the hard sciences required for Dental School I was just finishing my anthropology degree. That means any bumps or scratches in my science GPA are because I was young and I thought I didn't need science courses for graduate school. Otherwise, my last two years have been straight A's.

Side note, Why does it include a +/- Version and non- +/- version? I checked doctoothaches master list for schools that might discriminate and came up empty handed.

+/-
    BCP:3.91 Sci:3.72 Non-Sci:3.69 Total:3.7

Non- +/-
    BCP:3.87 Sci:3.62 Non-Sci:3.71 Total:3.69

So... Not bad? I'm pretty happy. This semester should be another straight A semester.

As you can see the difference between my Sci and BCP GPA is pretty extreme. It's amazing what a few introductory math and science courses can do as a freshman.

I am delaying my DAT a bit more. This summer semester has proven to be time consuming and as a non-traditional applicant I would like to kill the DAT.

1.) I would like to hear from some other non-traditional applicants! SDN is littered with biology majors but come forward ye' others and speak with me.

2.) If you were accepted to dental school and were a non-traditional applicant share with us! Perhaps you received unique interview questions? Etc...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. herkulease

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what do you wish to speak of? You have a 3.6+ gpa whether its +/- or non +/-
    your non science degree isn't likely to bring up any issues given your grades. if your BCP/Science gpa vs. Non-sci was a huge difference it might.

Unless you go and bomb the DAT you have a fairly good chance of getting an interview. and if you don't bomb the interview you'll probably be accepted.

My guess on why they have a +/- and non +/- is to be able to compare students who happen to go to schools that do not have a +/- system or have some limitation on +/-. Like A is the highest grade possible. No A+ for instance. its likely their way to trying to balance things out. Probably saves the schools time too have calculating it themselves if they want.

The though thing with you delaying your DAT is you are delaying a chance at early interviews. some schools have a cut off dates for when you can take the DAT and still be considered for the cycle. Even if you beat the cut off date, it maybe so late that even with great stats you may be looking at interviewing for alternate seats.

4. TheRoni

TheRoni Dental school attendee
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    First off, congrats on getting your stuff verified! I too am a non-traditional applicant. I didn't do as well as I had hoped on the DAT but at least my scores are better than no scores (I think). My application on AADSAS was mailed out on the Jun-27 mailing. I know there are a lot of non-traditional applicants that have better scores than I, but I am hoping 10 years deploying in the military will help. I am older than you... I am 29 now.

Many schools won't even look at you without DAT scores. Many won't look if you plan to retake DAT scores. The big thing with being a non-traditional applicant is that each school has its own prereqs. Before you Apply check each school so you are not throwing money away. People are already getting interviews. A school deadline of March 1st doesn't mean that all applicants are treated equally until then. Get your stuff in, most schools are rolling admission! Best of luck man!:)

5. Barking Lamb

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I just wanted to hear from some other non traditional applicants. What makes them unique?

6. a2ndragoon89

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    your experiences make you unique. I graduated from UC Davis with a B.S. in psychology. My major was never an issue, and I did well in my sciences. I think it sets you apart from the beginning, but they will know if you want to be a dentist by your writing, your experiences, and your commitment. Scores are great if you have the experiences to back it up.