May 2, 2016
Hello,

I am about to start my first semester at a cal state as a junior. My major is Sociology and intend to do my own post bacc. I signed up for 3, 3 unit sociology classes and 1 , 5 unit chemistry class for my first semester. I am now wondering if that was a bad idea. Should I take more MD pre reqs during the beginning first 2 years? I am hoping to send out applications during my Senior year. By the way, not sure if this is important but I plan on staying here for 3 years for my BA and DIY post bacc.

May 11, 2016
Hello,

I am about to start my first semester at a cal state as a junior. My major is Sociology and intend to do my own post bacc. I signed up for 3, 3 unit sociology classes and 1 , 5 unit chemistry class for my first semester. I am now wondering if that was a bad idea. Should I take more MD pre reqs during the beginning first 2 years? I am hoping to send out applications during my Senior year. By the way, not sure if this is important but I plan on staying here for 3 years for my BA and DIY post bacc.
Just curious, how are you a nontrad?

Anyway, you're only an undergrad junior. If you don't have a very writing intensive soc course load, I'd say you'd be ok.
Feel it out while you're going through it. If you feel like it's going to flop, drop it. Better to have a W than a D or F.

Best of luck to you.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Soc major: how is this helping you vs. changing your major to one that includes the prereqs?
Planned postbac: how would this help you vs. getting prereqs done during bachelors?

Consider: change your major to one that includes the prereqs and does more to set you up to succeed in med school, and just accept that you won't graduate in 4 years. Prioritize.

The average 1st year med student is 23-24. The label "non-traditional" isn't useful for you.

Best of luck to you.