winniekate07

c/o 2025 hopeful
Sep 13, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Thank you! I appreciate it! I think once I'm in school and more settled I might feel differently. The last few years have been a crazy whirlwind and I've had no time, even for myself. I feel like I'm open to the right person, but they'd have to be an extremely right person, not just any person. I'm totally okay with being single for now, I want to be able to give the people in my life the time they deserve. I'm definitely optimistic for the future though. It'll happen when I'm ready!
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know that feeling of being torn between having a personal life and a professional life. First off, I totally agree with Max - up to this point I've had some good relationships but nothing "forever" worthy. I think that we're more likely to meet people we really connect with that have similar passions to us in this field. I've found that it is very hard for many people to empathize with what we go through in this industry, which can lead to problems in a relationship (just generalizing, I know lots of people have SOs and spouses in other fields, this is just from my personal experience!).

However, at this point, I've decided to just focus on my career and my relationship with myself. I feel that I won't be able to be happy with someone else until I am happy with myself and where I am in life. I gave up an almost 4-year relationship that everyone thought was going to end in marriage to go back to school. It completely blindsided everyone, including our friends and family. He wasn't a bad person, its just that I was motivated to grow and change while he was complacent to stay where he was forever. Additionally, he wasn't supportive of my decision to go back to school and would get upset when I'd choose schoolwork over spending time with him. I felt like he was holding me back, so I let him go. I don't think I would have been able to get the experiences I have if I had remained in that relationship. I have never for a second regretted my decision.

I'm one of those people who will ALWAYS put my work before a partner or family. This 100% isn't healthy, but I've always been this way, ever since my first job when I was 17. Currently I am not looking to date and am not open to a relationship because I know I am not capable of being able to nurture a career and a relationship at the same time. I've never been good at finding that balance. Hopefully I'll be surprised and I'll meet someone wonderful, however my pessimistic views on relationships and love are telling me this probably won't happen. I know my views are very different than many people here, I've said it before - I have so much respect for people who can have a family and do this. I just unfortunately don't have a desire to do this at this current time, at least not until I'm happy with myself.
Just chiming in here to piggy back on what cassafrass said! I totally second therapy, mediation etc to help get to the bottom of the "people pleasing" in a relationship. I was the same exact way for years. I had some childhood trauma and it left me with tons of abandonment issues and I always found myself going above and beyond for boyfriends who refused to put a fraction of that same effort in. It was challenging and defeating. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong when in reality I was just picking the wrong men and overcompensating in order to salvage whatever idea I had of the relationship.

I've been with my current boyfriend for 4 years and our relationship certainly isn't perfect but we are partners and meet each other half way. He has also always 100 percent supported me in my pursuit of Vetmed and has pushed me when I start to doubt myself (something no one else has ever cared to do).It took me a lot of personal work/growth in order to be able to be in this relationship and I continue to do the work. Relationships are super hard but when you're ready you will find someone who values your dedication to your career and will support you in making that your priority! Also maybe you will find a vet school babe and you can be a veterinary dream team 😜

Anyway- sorry to get a little personal, just wanted you to know that you aren't alone! I'm here to talk if you ever need anything!

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 21, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Thank you! I appreciate it! I think once I'm in school and more settled I might feel differently. The last few years have been a crazy whirlwind and I've had no time, even for myself. I feel like I'm open to the right person, but they'd have to be an extremely right person, not just any person. I'm totally okay with being single for now, I want to be able to give the people in my life the time they deserve. I'm definitely optimistic for the future though. It'll happen when I'm ready!
It absolutely will and life is too long and too short to waste time on drifters....on anyone who isn't "extremely" right for you--anything less isn't worth it! You have a great outlook.

Oct 21, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Just chiming in here to piggy back on what cassafrass said! I totally second therapy, mediation etc to help get to the bottom of the "people pleasing" in a relationship. I was the same exact way for years. I had some childhood trauma and it left me with tons of abandonment issues and I always found myself going above and beyond for boyfriends who refused to put a fraction of that same effort in. It was challenging and defeating. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong when in reality I was just picking the wrong men and overcompensating in order to salvage whatever idea I had of the relationship.

I've been with my current boyfriend for 4 years and our relationship certainly isn't perfect but we are partners and meet each other half way. He has also always 100 percent supported me in my pursuit of Vetmed and has pushed me when I start to doubt myself (something no one else has ever cared to do).It took me a lot of personal work/growth in order to be able to be in this relationship and I continue to do the work. Relationships are super hard but when you're ready you will find someone who values your dedication to your career and will support you in making that your priority! Also maybe you will find a vet school babe and you can be a veterinary dream team 😜

Anyway- sorry to get a little personal, just wanted you to know that you aren't alone! I'm here to talk if you ever need anything!
The growing thing is a lifelong process. I have relationship story that sounds a like like yours--in terms of boyfriends past. One of the best things about being "geriatric" vet students is we're all walking this path together a little better armed with what we do and don't want. I'm glad to be here with you!

About the Ads

winniekate07

c/o 2025 hopeful
Sep 13, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
The growing thing is a lifelong process. I have relationship story that sounds a like like yours--in terms of boyfriends past. One of the best things about being "geriatric" vet students is we're all walking this path together a little better armed with what we do and don't want. I'm glad to be here with you!
Haha geriatric 😂😂😂 I am glad to be be here with you as well!!!

Sep 27, 2020
beginning to panic about choosing a school
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Also maybe you will find a vet school babe and you can be a veterinary dream team 😜

Goals right there 😂 thank you for your support! For now I'm just focusing on bettering myself so that I can be ready to find someone! I do a lot of meditating actually, it really helps calm my mind. :giggle:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

max_wildlife

c/o 2025!!
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I do a lot of meditating actually, it really helps calm my mind.
Meditation is great. I've been trying to do that more lately, and do some yoga before bed. Trying to help my stress levels and it seems to! I'm normally much more active but with ice rinks and rock climbing facilities understandably closed around me (covid's real bad here) my winter sports are on pause. I keep waiting for a deep freeze to find some outdoor ponds but til then I am stuck with all this physical energy and trying to find new ways to burn it.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

mlangloi95

Bird enthusiast, DVM c/o 2025 hopeful
Nov 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I appreciate this thread so much. I’m 25 and didn’t feel the strong call to vet med until I was 20 during my second year of undergrad. Long story short, I was a music major who wanted to double major in neuroscience and pursue music therapy and education. Lack of institutional support and pressure from an abusive ex discouraged me from this, and coupled with family problems, my first two years of undergrad were academically not great. I’ve been told I look and act like my aunt who’s been a vet for 30+ years, and have always loved nature, so I figured why not get more info on her field? I reached out to both my school’s pre-vet advisor and my aunt, and their warm welcoming of me into their world set the stage. I realigned my priorities and began rebuilding my academics, and most importantly, my mental and physical health. I escaped the abusive relationship, learned coping mechanisms for dealing with my family problems while balancing my own, and dug myself out of the academic hole I was in.

5 1/2 years later I’m academically at my strongest; my strong musical background has brought me incredible skills that have transferred into my clinical experiences with domestics, zoo animals, and wildlife; I have a great relationship with myself; and I now have the support system and vision I’ve been lacking my entire life.

When I become a DVM, I’m looking forward to offering the mentorship and resources that I never had growing up to people considering the field. Life is too short to be unkind and discouraging to those who’ve found fulfilling work and are dedicated to making it their life’s career.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Oct 21, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I appreciate this thread so much. I’m 25 and didn’t feel the strong call to vet med until I was 20 during my second year of undergrad. Long story short, I was a music major who wanted to double major in neuroscience and pursue music therapy and education. Lack of institutional support and pressure from an abusive ex discouraged me from this, and coupled with family problems, my first two years of undergrad were academically not great. I’ve been told I look and act like my aunt who’s been a vet for 30+ years, and have always loved nature, so I figured why not get more info on her field? I reached out to both my school’s pre-vet advisor and my aunt, and their warm welcoming of me into their world set the stage. I realigned my priorities and began rebuilding my academics, and most importantly, my mental and physical health. I escaped the abusive relationship, learned coping mechanisms for dealing with my family problems while balancing my own, and dug myself out of the academic hole I was in.

5 1/2 years later I’m academically at my strongest; my strong musical background has brought me incredible skills that have transferred into my clinical experiences with domestics, zoo animals, and wildlife; I have a great relationship with myself; and I now have the support system and vision I’ve been lacking my entire life.

When I become a DVM, I’m looking forward to offering the mentorship and resources that I never had growing up to people considering the field. Life is too short to be unkind and discouraging to those who’ve found fulfilling work and are dedicated to making it their life’s career.
You have a fascinating story and I am so glad you're here! I have a BA in theatre performance...so like you...not exactly the direct route to DVM. :) Welcome!

mlangloi95

Nov 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
You have a fascinating story and I am so glad you're here! I have a BA in theatre performance...so like you...not exactly the direct route to DVM. :) Welcome!
Thank you! I was over halfway done with my major when I made my changes, so I couldn’t drop it and completely start over. You’re looking at a DVM applicant with a BA in trumpet performance 😁

Reactions: 5 users
Oct 21, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Thank you! I was over halfway done with my major when I made my changes, so I couldn’t drop it and completely start over. You’re looking at a DVM applicant with a BA in trumpet performance 😁
I'm sure you feel the same way--I feel like my degree was an intensive study in communication skills. It's an asset I'll use every day...so I try not to get too caught up on "how long it took me" to get here. Do you still play? I played bari and tenor sax through college, flute and oboe when required..and bassoon...I miss music and hope to find a place for it in my life sometime soon.

Reactions: 1 users

mlangloi95

Nov 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I'm sure you feel the same way--I feel like my degree was an intensive study in communication skills. It's an asset I'll use every day...so I try not to get too caught up on "how long it took me" to get here. Do you still play? I played bari and tenor sax through college, flute and oboe when required..and bassoon...I miss music and hope to find a place for it in my life sometime soon.
I completely agree! And not to mention performance preparation of any kind builds mental and physical endurance. I do play still but sadly not nearly as much. Back in college I was also a low-brass girl and trombone was essentially my secondary instrument. Apparently my strong, loud sound with my short stature (5’1” and tiny) came across as intimidating 😂 While it wasn’t my professional calling, music will always be a lifelong passion. We’ll always find a way to turn back to those passions no matter where we go in life. It’ll certainly be my stress relieving activity if I get into vet school.

Conflagration

7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hello everyone!

I’m 26 and just starting my journey, really. I’ve been interested in medicine and especially vet med for a while (this account is ancient), so I’m finally putting my money where my mouth is and I’m going to start taking pre-requisites... I already have a degree in math and have some experience teaching and working with children with disabilities. Good to meet all of you!

A fun fact about me- I volunteered at an exotics sanctuary for a Halloween event and I have had my leg grabbed and mounted by a wallaby. In front of families with children, too. Animals make their own rules...

Reactions: 8 users
Sep 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hello everyone!

I’m 26 and just starting my journey, really. I’ve been interested in medicine and especially vet med for a while (this account is ancient), so I’m finally putting my money where my mouth is and I’m going to start taking pre-requisites... I already have a degree in math and have some experience teaching and working with children with disabilities. Good to meet all of you!

A fun fact about me- I volunteered at an exotics sanctuary for a Halloween event and I have had my leg grabbed and mounted by a wallaby. In front of families with children, too. Animals make their own rules...
Welcome! I started my journey at 26 too! It was definitely crazy and hectic but I wouldn't have had it any other way! We're here to help if you have questions about pre-reqs, experiences, life, etc. I'm sure everyone on this page would love to chime in with their experiences if necessary, we all have such wildly different paths!

About the Ads
Mar 11, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I completely agree! And not to mention performance preparation of any kind builds mental and physical endurance. I do play still but sadly not nearly as much. Back in college I was also a low-brass girl and trombone was essentially my secondary instrument. Apparently my strong, loud sound with my short stature (5’1” and tiny) came across as intimidating 😂 While it wasn’t my professional calling, music will always be a lifelong passion. We’ll always find a way to turn back to those passions no matter where we go in life. It’ll certainly be my stress relieving activity if I get into vet school.
Have you ever played trumpet for animals? I feel like it wouldn't just be therapeutic to humans and am curious if you have attempted this...?
Hello everyone!

I feel like a degree in math will not only be unique but will actually come in handy! If I could go back, I probably wouldn't get a B.S. in general biological sciences. I chose it because I like all aspects of biology (both cellular and organismal sides) and wanted the ability to choose my electives (I didn't want to do a zoology or cellular concentration....too strict w electives). but I only became interested in vet med 2 ish years ago and I stuck with biology because it checked off all the boxes. If I could go back I would probably be a biochem major or med lab science major (definitely a microbiology major if my university offered it).

mlangloi95

Nov 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Have you ever played trumpet for animals? I feel like it wouldn't just be therapeutic to humans and am curious if you have attempted this...?
Never intentionally, but while practicing in my room I've caught the occasional squirrel or bird looking in with confusion 😂 There's a fair amount of research supporting the use of music for environmental enrichment and therapeutic purposes. It's certainly an area I'd love to explore in the future!

Reactions: 4 users

max_wildlife

c/o 2025!!
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
@mlangoi

what a cool path :) education and music are both important to me too! I play the guitar, and I hope to teach at a vet school one day. I sympathize with your struggles and it sounds like you've really got a good perspective on everything. I'm still struggling to dig out of my own undergrad hole, though I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel

as an aside this is super random but is your profile pic from crow?

mlangloi95

Nov 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
@mlangoi

what a cool path :) education and music are both important to me too! I play the guitar, and I hope to teach at a vet school one day. I sympathize with your struggles and it sounds like you've really got a good perspective on everything. I'm still struggling to dig out of my own undergrad hole, though I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel

as an aside this is super random but is your profile pic from crow?
That's awesome! I'm getting into classical guitar right now and it's been a STRUGGLE lol. Everyone has told me fixing one's GPAs is the hardest thing you can do to get into vet school, but it's still possible! Going through the process you become resilient and humble when it comes to academic struggles, struggles every student goes through at some point during their vet school career and beyond. You become better equipped to dust yourself off and get right back to work. No matter what happens, be proud of the work you've put in! You didn't get this far to only get this far.

And yes it is from CROW! I did their 6-month animal care fellowship the first half of this year. I was crying in the picture because my falconry training was put on hold due to the pandemic and being short-staffed, but the last week of my program I got their ambassador great-horned owl on the glove a few times 😭

Jul 26, 2020
28 yr old here. When I was younger I was far too immature and emotionally unstable to even fathom this field. I didn't care about my life, and got told to get a bachelors degree. So I got a degree in zoology because animals are awesome. Did research on frogs because it was fun. Thought I would be a zookeeper, but after 3 months of working at a zoo my brain shut down because it was too simple. People told me work at a vets office. I told them they interact with too many people and it is far too sad. Applied for research jobs got 0 responses and decided to chill and pet sit part time for 3 years. When my dog needed a knee surgery (figures..) I needed more money and worked in a kennel. Then a few months later I got bored of that too and got a job in vet med as an assistant when I was 26 to try the field. I was basically a hermit in undergrad I was would have hated it. I talked to so many people eeww. But the field really is a great match because when I master something or understand a concept there's always so many more things to learn, so I don't think I will ever get bored. In a year I got promoted to vet tech. Then months I decided I wanted to diagnose. Now I will be a Dr in 2025 :D I feel so fulfilled coming home from work and I am happy. I hope everyone else finds happiness too.

Reactions: 7 users
Sep 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I'm excited for this thread too! (clearly... I started it 💁‍♀️ )

I love hearing others' stories! I am currently working on my second Bachelor's at the University of New Hampshire (am I allowed to say where I'm from? Oh well) in Biomedical Science with minors in public health and dairy. However for YEARS I worked in the restaurant industry and have my first Bachelor's in Restaurant, Food, and Beverage Management. However, my focus during my first undergrad was mostly on the "beverage" part...... needless to say I was an awful student, never went to class, and was lucky I was able to graduate (or be alive tbh 😂). I just kind of hung out for a few years at home after graduating, worked at the restaurant I had been at since high school, worked my way up to be a manager, got into a dead end relationship..... the usual.

I started back in school in January 2016 trying to do wildlife conservation (I wanted to save the elephants) but quickly realized that while I loved animals, I wasn't passionate about it. So I took another year off, started riding horses, and decided to go back to school for Vet Tech. But like @max_wildlife, I realized I'd be much happier diagnosing rather than treating, so I quickly switched to the Pre-Vet track where I've been ever since and have never regretted it. Currently my interests are lab animal med, public health, and emergency med... so if anyone likes those things too... hi 👋

I'm currently single (finally got the balls to dump my unsupportive ex), mooching off my brother living in his living room with our parent's dog (long story) while working as an assistant/tech at a 24-hour Emergency practice. I'm finishing up my degree this semester and plan to work, pay off some credit card debt, and finally relax and do some self-care before the stress of vet school *hopefully* starts in the fall.

Can't wait to hear everyone else's stories too!
Hey, looks like I'm late to the party, but I just got excited that you're at UNH! I graduated in 2019 and I work and live nearby. I'm from Seattle though, just came over for school. Cool to see someone else around here, I've felt a little isolated since most of my friends from school went straight to vet school.

Sep 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey, looks like I'm late to the party, but I just got excited that you're at UNH! I graduated in 2019 and I work and live nearby. I'm from Seattle though, just came over for school. Cool to see someone else around here, I've felt a little isolated since most of my friends from school went straight to vet school.
Hi! It's great to see another UNH person here! I think it's a great school, but I might be a little biased. My experiences here really made me feel ready to tackle vet school. Are you working in a vet clinic in the area?

Sep 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi! It's great to see another UNH person here! I think it's a great school, but I might be a little biased. My experiences here really made me feel ready to tackle vet school. Are you working in a vet clinic in the area?
Yeah, I really enjoyed UNH. I did the program in only 3 years, sometimes wish I had stayed for all 4, but it really helps with loans. I also worked at NHVDL, absolutely loved it. I basically made them hire me after pestering them since before I even started school. I work at Port City Vet Referral Hospital in ECC!

max_wildlife

c/o 2025!!
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
That's awesome! I'm getting into classical guitar right now and it's been a STRUGGLE lol. Everyone has told me fixing one's GPAs is the hardest thing you can do to get into vet school, but it's still possible! Going through the process you become resilient and humble when it comes to academic struggles, struggles every student goes through at some point during their vet school career and beyond. You become better equipped to dust yourself off and get right back to work. No matter what happens, be proud of the work you've put in! You didn't get this far to only get this far.

And yes it is from CROW! I did their 6-month animal care fellowship the first half of this year. I was crying in the picture because my falconry training was put on hold due to the pandemic and being short-staffed, but the last week of my program I got their ambassador great-horned owl on the glove a few times 😭

that's awesome! did you like it there? i've been thinking about applying for their 6-week vet tech externship if i end up with a gap year. i'm only in practice once in a while these days and mostly limited to bats, songbirds, and the occasional turtle. i'm grateful for it, but haven't taken an avian rad since 2017 so i'm worried i'm losing some of my tech skills. i thought maybe trying to do something short-term and intense might be a good way to jump back into something higher volume.

and for sure! it really is. started out with a 3.1 gpa in 2017 when i first applied, and i've pulled it up to 3.5. so it's gradually getting more competitive. i'm toying with a couple ideas but still waiting to hear back before i commit to anything. i'm close to a second bachelor's and might have an offer to work in a professor's biomed lab, could stay with the bats, goats, and pathology lab, and illustrate stability and continue pulling up that gpa. on the other hand, i've been in college for a decade and want to take a break for a sec and run away to the ocean. you see my dilemma. maybe i'll take a gap semester instead of a full-year. hmm.

Sep 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Yeah, I really enjoyed UNH. I did the program in only 3 years, sometimes wish I had stayed for all 4, but it really helps with loans. I also worked at NHVDL, absolutely loved it. I basically made them hire me after pestering them since before I even started school. I work at Port City Vet Referral Hospital in ECC!
I worked there too and I did the same thing 😂 I worked there spring 2017 then not again until fall 2019 due to my class schedule. I also did/am still doing research with David and Colleen. And I send Port City lots of referrals - I work over at VESH in Brentwood 😂

About the Ads
Sep 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I worked there too and I did the same thing 😂 I worked there spring 2017 then not again until fall 2019 due to my class schedule. I also did/am still doing research with David and Colleen. And I send Port City lots of referrals - I work over at VESH in Brentwood 😂
Oh yeah, we know you guys! I think we've stolen some techs. I started working on some research with David, but it didn't really work after I graduated. Brian wrote one of my LORs, I don't know if you knew him.

Oct 21, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
28 yr old here. When I was younger I was far too immature and emotionally unstable to even fathom this field. I didn't care about my life, and got told to get a bachelors degree. So I got a degree in zoology because animals are awesome. Did research on frogs because it was fun. Thought I would be a zookeeper, but after 3 months of working at a zoo my brain shut down because it was too simple. People told me work at a vets office. I told them they interact with too many people and it is far too sad. Applied for research jobs got 0 responses and decided to chill and pet sit part time for 3 years. When my dog needed a knee surgery (figures..) I needed more money and worked in a kennel. Then a few months later I got bored of that too and got a job in vet med as an assistant when I was 26 to try the field. I was basically a hermit in undergrad I was would have hated it. I talked to so many people eeww. But the field really is a great match because when I master something or understand a concept there's always so many more things to learn, so I don't think I will ever get bored. In a year I got promoted to vet tech. Then months I decided I wanted to diagnose. Now I will be a Dr in 2025 :D I feel so fulfilled coming home from work and I am happy. I hope everyone else finds happiness too.
That's kind of how I wound up here. Everything I've ever tried I'm bored in 3-6 months. I've come back to hospitals over and over again over the course of 20 years. I started as a kennel attendant and worked my way up. :) Welcome!

Sep 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Oh yeah, we know you guys! I think we've stolen some techs. I started working on some research with David, but it didn't really work after I graduated. Brian wrote one of my LORs, I don't know if you knew him.
You probably have, our staff has completely changed since I started working there 🥴. I have a whole paper written for him and I haven't heard from him since like October 🙄 Luckily I'm busy and don't care too much. And Brian Stevens? I never had him as a professor or advisor or anything but I do know him just from working at the lab!

Aug 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad to see that there's a thread for non-traditional, "mature" students-- I am both and can very much relate to so many of the posts on here. I've been working as a non-licensed tech in small animal medicine since graduating college in 2013 and finally gathered up the courage a couple years ago to finish any vet school prerequisites I didn't have from undergrad, and apply to vet school. I'd told myself I wasn't good enough or smart enough to get into vet school for the longest time but it's what I've always wanted so I decided I owe it to myself to give it my best shot and see what happens. I got an interview invite from LIU yesterday, and I'm still waiting to hear back from everywhere else I applied.

There are so many things I worry about as an older student (I just turned 30), like uprooting my life and relationship for school, delaying family planning, feeling isolated, etc. It's really encouraging to read about other people's experiences on here, so thank you all for sharing your stories!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Sep 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
You probably have, our staff has completely changed since I started working there 🥴. I have a whole paper written for him and I haven't heard from him since like October 🙄 Luckily I'm busy and don't care too much. And Brian Stevens? I never had him as a professor or advisor or anything but I do know him just from working at the lab!
Yeah, Brian Stevens. He was my advisor before he left, then it was Inga, but I also took histology with him. What's your research with David on?

Sep 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Yeah, Brian Stevens. He was my advisor before he left, then it was Inga, but I also took histology with him. What's your research with David on?
I'm taking histo now with his replacement! It's my favorite class! And my research is chickens! I looked at every chicken result we had and put them into tables and graphs to show what types of diseases we were seeing most commonly - mostly from necropsy but I looked at AI/PT/Mycoplasma as well and made stats for how prevalent they were (not at all). It was a lot of work so hopefully I can get this paper published some decade to make it all worth it 😂

mlangloi95

Nov 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
that's awesome! did you like it there? i've been thinking about applying for their 6-week vet tech externship if i end up with a gap year. i'm only in practice once in a while these days and mostly limited to bats, songbirds, and the occasional turtle. i'm grateful for it, but haven't taken an avian rad since 2017 so i'm worried i'm losing some of my tech skills. i thought maybe trying to do something short-term and intense might be a good way to jump back into something higher volume.

and for sure! it really is. started out with a 3.1 gpa in 2017 when i first applied, and i've pulled it up to 3.5. so it's gradually getting more competitive. i'm toying with a couple ideas but still waiting to hear back before i commit to anything. i'm close to a second bachelor's and might have an offer to work in a professor's biomed lab, could stay with the bats, goats, and pathology lab, and illustrate stability and continue pulling up that gpa. on the other hand, i've been in college for a decade and want to take a break for a sec and run away to the ocean. you see my dilemma. maybe i'll take a gap semester instead of a full-year. hmm.
I’d highly recommend it! Wildlife medicine is a mentally-taxing field, so everyone looked after each other. I lived onsite and that was extremely convenient for afterhour husbandry duties and days when you wanted to just crawl into bed after a 12hr+ day lol. With being onsite comes dealing with overnight emergencies, but it‘s all part of the job. The students they tend to take and all staff are phenomenal mentors to everyone, regardless of background. If you have a special interest in, say, radiology, everyone does a great job of pulling you in to take and read rads. The majority of cases are birds, so you’d definitely get that experience taking rads of everything from tiny songbirds to raptors of all sizes! The medical and research director is a board-certified avian specialist, certified aquatics vet, and licensed wildlife and seaturtle rehabilitator, so she’s an incredible resource to have. Their rehab manager is a brilliant person as well and would also be able to help you network well within the field.

That’s amazing you pulled your GPA up so much! Congrats! That’ll certainly shine in your applications. When I started the program I was also getting tired from school, pulling my grades up while working part/full-time. It was great to focus solely on work and enjoy island life for 6 months, not to mention work on vet school apps on the beach! My program helped me recenter myself and reinforce my passion for vet med. It’s an intense and unique experience you’ll get nowhere else. Regardless of the program length you complete at CROW, the professional and personal growth you undertake there will carry you far in life. They don’t get many vet tech applicants, so your application would be appealing to them. I believe you’re in a great position to go for it!

max_wildlife

c/o 2025!!
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I’d highly recommend it! Wildlife medicine is a mentally-taxing field, so everyone looked after each other. I lived onsite and that was extremely convenient for afterhour husbandry duties and days when you wanted to just crawl into bed after a 12hr+ day lol. With being onsite comes dealing with overnight emergencies, but it‘s all part of the job. The students they tend to take and all staff are phenomenal mentors to everyone, regardless of background. If you have a special interest in, say, radiology, everyone does a great job of pulling you in to take and read rads. The majority of cases are birds, so you’d definitely get that experience taking rads of everything from tiny songbirds to raptors of all sizes! The medical and research director is a board-certified avian specialist, certified aquatics vet, and licensed wildlife and seaturtle rehabilitator, so she’s an incredible resource to have. Their rehab manager is a brilliant person as well and would also be able to help you network well within the field.

That’s amazing you pulled your GPA up so much! Congrats! That’ll certainly shine in your applications. When I started the program I was also getting tired from school, pulling my grades up while working part/full-time. It was great to focus solely on work and enjoy island life for 6 months, not to mention work on vet school apps on the beach! My program helped me recenter myself and reinforce my passion for vet med. It’s an intense and unique experience you’ll get nowhere else. Regardless of the program length you complete at CROW, the professional and personal growth you undertake there will carry you far in life. They don’t get many vet tech applicants, so your application would be appealing to them. I believe you’re in a great position to go for it!
thank you!! :) this is all helpful. it does sound like a great place. and i do keep thinking about the ocean lol i suspect getting back in touch with what i love would really benefit me.
as for the grittier stuff i think overnights will be fine and probably a good experience. we didn't do overnights but the facility at home that i worked at was pretty high volume (~3k intake per year, 33% save rate) and i had three other jobs at the time; i tolerated the mental strain okay. i'm mostly just not comfortable going back since i left my position there. nothing bad happened or anything and i'm still licensed, it was just a little complicated. i still work with the wildlife vet from there and she's an amazing mentor, but i still think i want to get away for a bit. i'd rather do something someplace new and get a chance to touch base with myself if that makes sense.

just a few more questions lol - do you ever get to help with sea turtles, do you get to do much pathology work there, and are there clinical research opportunities available to shorter-term externships? i dunno if i'd qualify to help if i'm there shorter term -- but i'm pretty much locked into short-term opportunities; i can't really leave my dog with my parents long-term and if i pursued moving to florida for the longer-term one i'd have to find offsite housing for me and pup.

otherwise i guess it's just about the waiting game for now. colorado said they're not releasing decisions til possibly mid-January and still waiting to hear back from ohio.

max_wildlife

c/o 2025!!
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
That's kind of how I wound up here. Everything I've ever tried I'm bored in 3-6 months. I've come back to hospitals over and over again over the course of 20 years. I started as a kennel attendant and worked my way up. :) Welcome!
the same thing happened to me and wildlife med! i'd go do all of these cool field positions in these interesting places and i'd hop right on back to the same wildlife hospital and be like, to doc no less, "but what do i love doing? what do i love coming back to? i just can't figure it out.' my grad school advisor had to point out that i was obsessed with wildlife medicine for it to hit me. i was 24 years old. 😅

max_wildlife

c/o 2025!!
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
hi! congrats. tell me about your frog research, that sounds really cool!
i have a similar background. my dad recently pointed out i didn't really learn how to 'study' until i was about 25ish. and i went through a similar moment with zookeeping. i had a cool gig at an interesting facility in montana with bears and wolves but at some point doing grizzly bear enrichment and reporting on their behaviors and talking to visitors got boring and i just had this huge 'oh no' moment. they offered to extend me and i think to everyone's surprise i was more or less like, 'i need to go home'. it was such a shock. but i'm glad i had that experience and took that opportunity young; for all i know if i went the more traditional route i might still be trying to get out there only to find myself miserable

About the Ads

mlangloi95

Nov 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
thank you!! :) this is all helpful. it does sound like a great place. and i do keep thinking about the ocean lol i suspect getting back in touch with what i love would really benefit me.
as for the grittier stuff i think overnights will be fine and probably a good experience. we didn't do overnights but the facility at home that i worked at was pretty high volume (~3k intake per year, 33% save rate) and i had three other jobs at the time; i tolerated the mental strain okay. i'm mostly just not comfortable going back since i left my position there. nothing bad happened or anything and i'm still licensed, it was just a little complicated. i still work with the wildlife vet from there and she's an amazing mentor, but i still think i want to get away for a bit. i'd rather do something someplace new and get a chance to touch base with myself if that makes sense.

just a few more questions lol - do you ever get to help with sea turtles, do you get to do much pathology work there, and are there clinical research opportunities available to shorter-term externships? i dunno if i'd qualify to help if i'm there shorter term -- but i'm pretty much locked into short-term opportunities; i can't really leave my dog with my parents long-term and if i pursued moving to florida for the longer-term one i'd have to find offsite housing for me and pup.

otherwise i guess it's just about the waiting game for now. colorado said they're not releasing decisions til possibly mid-January and still waiting to hear back from ohio.
You’re very welcome! :) I believe their current intake number is around 5400 and that number is expected to increase in the future, so you’d certainly have that high caseload to work with. And anytime there are sea turtles they try to get as many students involved as possible from intake through release! It is a teaching hospital after all. I was even able to assist in a few sea turtle necropsies. If you show you‘re willing to learn and take the initiative, you’ll be able to do so much! As far as I know only the DVM interns do formal clinical research especially if they’re applying to residencies, but if you express interest in their research early on they may give you a more involved role! Otherwise, the hospital director is very open to discussing research ideas with any student as long as you have a genuine interest and plan.

Best of luck with Colorado and Ohio! Fingers crossed you get good news soon:xf:

max_wildlife

c/o 2025!!
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
You’re very welcome! :) I believe their current intake number is around 5400 and that number is expected to increase in the future, so you’d certainly have that high caseload to work with. And anytime there are sea turtles they try to get as many students involved as possible from intake through release! It is a teaching hospital after all. I was even able to assist in a few sea turtle necropsies. If you show you‘re willing to learn and take the initiative, you’ll be able to do so much! As far as I know only the DVM interns do formal clinical research especially if they’re applying to residencies, but if you express interest in their research early on they may give you a more involved role! Otherwise, the hospital director is very open to discussing research ideas with any student as long as you have a genuine interest and plan.

Best of luck with Colorado and Ohio! Fingers crossed you get good news soon:xf:
That's amazing! may reach out with more questions in the future. Thanks again :)

and thank you!! we shall see

VioletVegasPanda

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2011
Calgary, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Ok... Here we go :)

I grew up in Australia and moved to Canada about 10 years ago... followed my partner there (she was born in Canada), after meeting in Australia. She actually introduced me to animals. I didn't have any pets growing up and I didn't have any friends who had any either, so I no absolutely no exposure to them, besides dolphins/sharks/penguins while surfing.

I went to college in Australia after high-school and did a Biomedical degree. At the time, I was more interested in chasing money and moved into Real Estate and have been a realtor for a long time now. I needed a change. With three dogs and four horses, and finally finding my "passion" in life (animals), I knew I had to change careers.

Over the last two years I undertook the pre-requisites courses at the closest universities to my house. I also volunteered the my local zoo, and with vets in clinics. Knowing that getting into vet school is the most difficult program to gain entry into, I decided to go the "non-traditional" way of applying outside US/Canada. Plus I just wanted to get the program done as fast as possible, since I am older than everyone here... I'm now 47.

I applied to the Caribbean schools. I got accepted into all of them and I ended up choosing Ross University, since they have the accelerated program which suits us non-traditional students and they have a few hundred animals on campus as well. Also, I ended up meeting lots of recently graduated Ross Vets in Calgary, Canada.

I am about to Start on January 11th for my first semester. (smile)

I have noticed that more than half of the incoming class are non-traditional students. Most are vet techs and a few like me, who are doing a complete career change.

With low interest rates and government loans, don't be afraid of applying. I know in-state schools can be cheaper and if you get in, that's amazing. But don't be afraid of having some debt and chasing your dreams. I am so glad I did.

Finally, apply to schools like Ross and St. Matthews right now. For their next intake, you don't need to do the GRE at all. There is no harm in applying, I am sure you will get in.

If you have any questions applying at Caribbean schools, ask away.

Oct 21, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I'm all for chasing your dreams, but the financial pressures after are real and the Caribbean schools are generally more expensive.

Just something to think on when you sign on the dotted line. I have two friends who graduated together from Tufts and they have a combined $800,000 in debt. They bought a home but they both say things like "we work full time jobs and moonlight or do relief on days off and still feel like we're drowning." or "We'll be paying forever. It's more than our mortgage.".....I am in no way trying to dissuade anyone from going--it's my dream too, but absolutely it has to be balanced with what your quality of life is going to be after.

max_wildlife

c/o 2025!!
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Ok... Here we go :)

I grew up in Australia and moved to Canada about 10 years ago... followed my partner there (she was born in Canada), after meeting in Australia. She actually introduced me to animals. I didn't have any pets growing up and I didn't have any friends who had any either, so I no absolutely no exposure to them, besides dolphins/sharks/penguins while surfing.

I went to college in Australia after high-school and did a Biomedical degree. At the time, I was more interested in chasing money and moved into Real Estate and have been a realtor for a long time now. I needed a change. With three dogs and four horses, and finally finding my "passion" in life (animals), I knew I had to change careers.

Over the last two years I undertook the pre-requisites courses at the closest universities to my house. I also volunteered the my local zoo, and with vets in clinics. Knowing that getting into vet school is the most difficult program to gain entry into, I decided to go the "non-traditional" way of applying outside US/Canada. Plus I just wanted to get the program done as fast as possible, since I am older than everyone here... I'm now 47.

I applied to the Caribbean schools. I got accepted into all of them and I ended up choosing Ross University, since they have the accelerated program which suits us non-traditional students and they have a few hundred animals on campus as well. Also, I ended up meeting lots of recently graduated Ross Vets in Calgary, Canada.

I am about to Start on January 11th for my first semester. (smile)

I have noticed that more than half of the incoming class are non-traditional students. Most are vet techs and a few like me, who are doing a complete career change.

With low interest rates and government loans, don't be afraid of applying. I know in-state schools can be cheaper and if you get in, that's amazing. But don't be afraid of having some debt and chasing your dreams. I am so glad I did.

Finally, apply to schools like Ross and St. Matthews right now. For their next intake, you don't need to do the GRE at all. There is no harm in applying, I am sure you will get in.

If you have any questions applying at Caribbean schools, ask away.
Congrats! That's so exciting. I interviewed at Ross for this fall and they were super excited about research opportunities with bats on the island for me, so I'm hopeful! The only thing giving me pause is my pup - one of my first encounters in vet med was a puppy that contracted pneumonia from the cargo hold of a flight. Otherwise I have international family and the distance doesn't hold me back. I will probably have loads of questions for you if I get an offer from them.

Also I really want to head about your surfing encounters! I'm a real rookie I've only been like 5 times but I think it might be my favorite sport. Or at least tied with hockey, haha. But you saw penguins and dolphins and sharks while surfing? That's incredible. All in Australia?

VioletVegasPanda

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2011
Calgary, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Congrats! That's so exciting. I interviewed at Ross for this fall and they were super excited about research opportunities with bats on the island for me, so I'm hopeful! The only thing giving me pause is my pup - one of my first encounters in vet med was a puppy that contracted pneumonia from the cargo hold of a flight. Otherwise I have international family and the distance doesn't hold me back. I will probably have loads of questions for you if I get an offer from them.

Also I really want to head about your surfing encounters! I'm a real rookie I've only been like 5 times but I think it might be my favorite sport. Or at least tied with hockey, haha. But you saw penguins and dolphins and sharks while surfing? That's incredible. All in Australia?
All my surfing was in Australia and yes you get to see every type of animal there. I grew up on the beach.
I also just found out there is a beach in St kitts that has some very small waves, so looks like I will get to surf again, instead of having to fly to California occasionally

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
I was non traditional and started earning pre reqs at 28. Accepted at 30. Graduated at 36 as I took a couple years to see if a phd was for me. (It wasn't). I did all this knowing that I didn't have as much time to earn a retirement, so doing it as cheaply as possible was the best and only way not to regret everything once out as I was also a career changer and know you can't know things until you are living it.

I moved to gain residency and put all my eggs in that single basket. It worked out for me and my debt is manageable at $160k. I do pick up extra shifts though because I work my tail off and I want to be able to afford a nice middle class home and take a nice vacation once a year. I still haven't started saving anything for retirement even with this. While it's all well and good for one to say go for your dreams no matter the cost, a wise person peers into the future and does not let the in the moment overtake them.

Reactions: 13 users
Jun 6, 2019
There are so many things I worry about as an older student (I just turned 30), like uprooting my life and relationship for school, delaying family planning, feeling isolated, etc. It's really encouraging to read about other people's experiences on here, so thank you all for sharing your stories!
Thank you for saying this. If I get accepted into vet school this cycle, I’ll be graduating in my 30’s. Although I would want nothing more, thinking about if I do an internship/residency or how much time I want to put in working full time to pay off student loans, delaying family planning is at the forefront of my mind.

• Care

Meow2124

UIUC c/o 2024
2+ Year Member
May 21, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad to see that there's a thread for non-traditional, "mature" students-- I am both and can very much relate to so many of the posts on here. I've been working as a non-licensed tech in small animal medicine since graduating college in 2013 and finally gathered up the courage a couple years ago to finish any vet school prerequisites I didn't have from undergrad, and apply to vet school. I'd told myself I wasn't good enough or smart enough to get into vet school for the longest time but it's what I've always wanted so I decided I owe it to myself to give it my best shot and see what happens. I got an interview invite from LIU yesterday, and I'm still waiting to hear back from everywhere else I applied.

Hi! I just wanted to say that I was in a similar position regarding the whole life uprooting and moving across the country with my fiancée and my new baby. So just some encouragement that it is totally doable and you shouldn’t have to feel like you have to postpone your family or life plans, I know more than a few students that have marriages, kids, etc and are excelling! Good luck with your interview!

Dec 3, 2020
Have any of y’all applied multiple cycles? This is my second cycle, and I just got my second rejection of six. Feeling really discouraged. I have a B.S. in Animal Sciences, M.Ag in Food Micro, and I’ve worked 2 year in small animal ER.

• Sad
Sep 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Have any of y’all applied multiple cycles? This is my second cycle, and I just got my second rejection of six. Feeling really discouraged. I have a B.S. in Animal Sciences, M.Ag in Food Micro, and I’ve worked 2 year in small animal ER.
This is my first cycle but after all my recent rejections I’m pretty sure it won’t be my last. I’m sorry you’re feeling discouraged. This cycle seems like an absolute crapshoot. Wishing you the best for the rest of your apps!

• Care
Oct 21, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I applied in 2013 and then side tracked to have 2 kids, so this is my second time applying...I know it's hard and frustrating...you only need 1 school to pick you. Just one. I'll have my fingers and toes crossed you have better outcomes with your other applications!

• Care

max_wildlife

c/o 2025!!
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
This is my second cycle. I sympathize 😕 I'm anticipating a few rejections given how competitive it is this year. I have my Master's too but had two withdrawals from organic chem before finally beating it and a few Cs haunting me. Some days it feels like the path is endless. But I keep telling myself it'll be worth it at the end of the day. I'll get there. You will too.

Aug 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Thank you for saying this. If I get accepted into vet school this cycle, I’ll be graduating in my 30’s. Although I would want nothing more, thinking about if I do an internship/residency or how much time I want to put in working full time to pay off student loans, delaying family planning is at the forefront of my mind.
Exactly, I feel the same way. I'm sorry if this is too much information... but I actually just started the process of egg freezing to give me some peace of mind, and control over my future. It has really helped alleviate some of my fears about this stuff. I used to worry so much about having to choose between doing an internship/residency or having a family, and now I feel like I won't necessarily have to choose. The process is a little uncomfortable but not terrible, but it is expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it. If it weren't for the cost, I'd be recommending it to everyone who's in my position and thinks they might want a family some day. For me it felt worth it to sink a chunk of my savings into this, but I know not everyone is able to do that, which is completely understandable. Just wanted to share this in case anyone is considering it. Happy to share more about my experience if anyone is curious.

Aug 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi! I just wanted to say that I was in a similar position regarding the whole life uprooting and moving across the country with my fiancée and my new baby. So just some encouragement that it is totally doable and you shouldn’t have to feel like you have to postpone your family or life plans, I know more than a few students that have marriages, kids, etc and are excelling! Good luck with your interview!
Thank you so much for sharing that! Definitely makes me feel better knowing others have done it successfully. Thank you!!

Dec 20, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I guess I could say that I am non-traditional, just in a different sense. I'm 18 years old and submitted my first ever VMCAS application this summer to three schools. I was able to do so because I'm now a senior in undergrad after being homeschooled through high school, which I finished at 15. Honestly, I didn't expect much from this application cycle because I haven't racked up much experience at all (just about 400 hours in one vet clinic). However, with Covid and everything, I decided to take my chances. I only have OOS options and decided to apply to Iowa St., VA-MD Regional, and Michigan St. I recently found out that I got accepted to VA-MD!! I believe I can attribute this mostly to my GPA. I was pleasantly shocked, but I'm so happy because this has been my life goal for so long.

Oct 21, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I guess I could say that I am non-traditional, just in a different sense. I'm 18 years old and submitted my first ever VMCAS application this summer to three schools. I was able to do so because I'm now a senior in undergrad after being homeschooled through high school, which I finished at 15. Honestly, I didn't expect much from this application cycle because I haven't racked up much experience at all (just about 400 hours in one vet clinic). However, with Covid and everything, I decided to take my chances. I only have OOS options and decided to apply to Iowa St., VA-MD Regional, and Michigan St. I recently found out that I got accepted to VA-MD!! I believe I can attribute this mostly to my GPA. I was pleasantly shocked, but I'm so happy because this has been my life goal for so long.
Congratulations Doogie! :) (If that joke went over your head you now know how old I am!) Congratulations on your accomplishment and your own unique story. I hope you'll find a lot of joy pursuing the field!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads