Non-Traditional Vet School Applicants c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
fingers and toes crossed you get the school you desire :) I was kinda shocked to interview with AVC. My undergrad GPA was fine enough--3.6, but because of those bad classes I had an overall of like 3.29 or something and a science of like 2.97..it was mortifying when I saw how VMCAS calculated it. I wound up writing a letter to every school I applied to explaining what happened, what my current trend was and why I felt those gpas were not indicative of the student I am today..so far that seems to have been a successful tactic lol
That's a really good idea, I tried to include something similar in my applications, because when I transferred to NCSU my GPA was a 3.8 now it's like a 3.0 my major GPA is a 3.7 so that makes me happy at least 😂😂 and thank you! I bet you will get into at least two schools if not more

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wrote about my poor undergrad gpa and my current trend in my application statement. I had such a bad gpa (2.73) in undergrad when you average my masters and post bacc with it I don’t make the cut. I’m depending on schools to ignore that score and see that I’m much better at balancing time now.
in the videos I've seen many are willing to consider the "strong upward trend" so here's hoping!!

That's a really good idea, I tried to include something similar in my applications, because when I transferred to NCSU my GPA was a 3.8 now it's like a 3.0 my major GPA is a 3.7 so that makes me happy at least 😂😂 and thank you! I bet you will get into at least two schools if not more
I'll be thinking positive thoughts for all of us...the next few weeks are going to be nail biters lol

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have much of value to add, but definitely don't compare yourself to other people. I might have "great experiences" but have a poor GPA and have zero research experience. None of this bothers me though because I know my weaknesses and must have "great experiences" to offset my weaknesses. You might not have the experiences of some other applicants but you might have the gift of a stellar GPA. Play to that! Apply to schools that base admissions heavily off of GPA, schools like the AVC because those schools won't even look at my application because of my GPA.... They will just say "thanks for the 80 dollars!" And swipe left 😂
What happens when you don't have either?? I don't have a good GPA or experiences. ..this is why it's hard not to focus on my shortcomings....it's disheartening

What happens when you don't have either?? I don't have a good GPA or experiences. ..this is why it's hard not to focus on my shortcomings....it's disheartening
Some gentle-tough-love:
you can focus on the shortcoming or you can focus on making a plan to address it. No one's saying the deficiencies aren't real and in need of addressing but applications this cycle are out of our hands. I totally understand why you're frustrated or feeling down, but right now, all you can do is formulate your plan for the next year and ensure you fill it with meaningful additions to your applications for next cycle if you need them.

Your word is law. Your self-worth depends on it.
Make sure your word is positive.

Reactions: 8 users
If you don’t get accepted this year, reach out to the schools and ask how you can improve your application. Some may specifically tell you where you fell short. At least they did for me. Then, take 2021 to retake classes and get a better gpa. I worked at a university for the past few years so I could have tuition funded for me. Community schools can also help. When the vaccine is available for more people, and the world opens up again, go get those experiences. Even volunteering once a week is helpful. Anything you can do. You just gotta go put in some extra work and try again. Keep trying as much as you can. Don’t give up, just keep improving. Show your persistence to the goal.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don’t get accepted this year, reach out to the schools and ask how you can improve your application. Some may specifically tell you where you fell short. At least they did for me. Then, take 2021 to retake classes and get a better gpa. I worked at a university for the past few years so I could have tuition funded for me. Community schools can also help. When the vaccine is available for more people, and the world opens up again, go get those experiences. Even volunteering once a week is helpful. Anything you can do. You just gotta go put in some extra work and try again. Keep trying as much as you can. Don’t give up, just keep improving. Show your persistence to the goal.
I actually didn't apply this application cycle...but I appreciate the advice nonetheless.

Not everyone has the opportunity to care for cheetahs and save beached whales. A lot of us (most of us, honestly) had pretty generic animal/vet experience before applying to school. The important thing is what you yourself take out of the life experiences you have, not how flashy something looks on paper.

And honestly, sometimes you have to make your own experiences happen. Some of my friends did amazing international research projects in vet school, but they made those happen for themselves by setting a goal early on and then relentlessly going after it. They got faculty mentors by proactively asking them to meet to discuss projects, they went to sessions about obtaining grants, they wrote massive research proposals, they did extensive fundraising to cover their own travel expenses. Sometimes after all that, it still doesn't work out. That is a bummer, but it's still a unique learning experience that you can talk about in personal statements, etc.

Network. Share your goals with faculty and employers. Email people who are doing the jobs you want to do and ask them how they got there. The vet field is chock full of people who are willing to help others along this path, and that plays a major role in gaining experience, but you have to believe in yourself and ask for opportunities. I'm an introvert in real life with very real imposter syndrome and I sometimes have trouble with this, but you have to learn to steel yourself against your own hang ups and just go for it & not be dissuaded by failures. Keep your end goals in mind.

My favorite quote on this subject is from the poet Mary Oliver:

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Reactions: 4 users
Curious on your opinions....is an hour commute for a job (one way) worth it???
Think Which One GIF

Think Which One GIF
not enough information provided to give any substantive feedback. What's the job? Is it what you desire to do? How do you feel about commuting an hour each way per day? What will that cost in terms of gas and wear and tear to your vehicle? Is your vehicle reliable for that? What are the benefits?

@ElizaThornberry I would say it's a multifactorial decision that depends on what you're comfortable with. Is it an hr with traffic like Los Angeles or a true hr drive time? How does the gas+wear and tear on your vehicle affect the amount you're actually making? Are you ok with commuting 2 hours a day?
I personally dont want to live further than 30 min from my work but I will also be driving alot for out calls ontop of that. However where I'm from alot of people do the commute to get to the next bigger city to make more-for them it's worth it.

Think Which One GIF
heh i've commuted 2.5 hrs for jobs before making it 5hr round trip.
I had a 1.5 hr commute at my shelter job, 3 hr round trip.
it depends on what you value and what is worth it for you. throughout the course of those jobs i often stayed with friends overnight etc.
sometimes for fieldwork i still drive 2-4 hours per day but i get reimbursed for travel.
that said i do not recommend my lifestyle to everybody lol i find driving relaxing and i hate sitting still, and i don't like working in general practice. so i tend to take jobs that interest me even if that means a longer commute 'cause a good carride with some good music can be enjoyable in itself.

not enough information provided to give any substantive feedback. What's the job? Is it what you desire to do? How do you feel about commuting an hour each way per day? What will that cost in terms of gas and wear and tear to your vehicle? Is your vehicle reliable for that? What are the benefits?
It is an animal keeper position located at a zoological park. I think it would be an amazing opportunity to work with wildlife, large animals, and exotics. It would initially be only animal experience but I know vets from my IS school come to do check ups and whatnot so there is potential there that I could be involved in that. However, my husband and I only have one car and he is about to start his Master's at a local university and has to be there...but assuming I use that car for getting to the job...yes, it's reliable and gas wouldn't be bad (but not sure about pay or hours yet).

Members don't see this ad :)
okay all. different kind of inquiry.
how do y'all sleep? i'm not exactly super stressed lately. i have an interview lined up and lots of things vaguely figured out. but i am having trouble falling asleep. i am like my husky - i do best with a boatload of exercise, but with ice rinks and climbing centers closed and my parents being high risk, i just can't get enough, even from jogging with him etc. i do yoga and play acoustic guitar every night. i see a therapist and have a script and all that so that route's not helping a ton. i have been up til 3:30am every day probably for the last two weeks and keep getting woken up by like seven by my dog. I toss and turn then til 9ish and it really messes with my day.

is there anything you guys do to trick your brain/convince your brain into thinking you are tired? i only drink one cup of caffeinated coffee per day and already considering switching back to decaf. maybe any recommendations of tea? or books that make you sleepy?

i typically give a fairly strong interview and wasn't nervous at all til this no sleep thing. last thing i need is to be strung out from insomnia during the interview.

@ElizaThornberry I would say it's a multifactorial decision that depends on what you're comfortable with. Is it an hr with traffic like Los Angeles or a true hr drive time? How does the gas+wear and tear on your vehicle affect the amount you're actually making? Are you ok with commuting 2 hours a day?
I personally dont want to live further than 30 min from my work but I will also be driving alot for out calls ontop of that. However where I'm from alot of people do the commute to get to the next bigger city to make more-for them it's worth it.
Most of the drive is actually on the interstate...no at all comparable to LA traffic....lol. (it's about 54 miles one way if that helps). I am unfortunately not sure about my pay yet (or hours) but it will definitely be a crucial factor. Also since I plan on moving in about half a year it's not like I would be commuting 2 hours a day for years.

It is an animal keeper position located at a zoological park. I think it would be an amazing opportunity to work with wildlife, large animals, and exotics. It would initially be only animal experience but I know vets from my IS school come to do check ups and whatnot so there is potential there that I could be involved in that. However, my husband and I only have one car and he is about to start his Master's at a local university and has to be there...but assuming I use that car for getting to the job...yes, it's reliable and gas wouldn't be bad (but not sure about pay or hours yet).
that sounds like a great opportunity! i would take that in a heartbeat, especially if it's accredited. but, of course it depends on what you want.

how do y'all sleep? i'm not exactly super stressed lately. i have an interview lined up and lots of things vaguely figured out. but i am having trouble falling asleep. i am like my husky - i do best with a boatload of exercise, but with ice rinks and climbing centers closed and my parents being high risk, i just can't get enough, even from jogging with him etc. i do yoga and play acoustic guitar every night. i see a therapist and have a script and all that so that route's not helping a ton. i have been up til 3:30am every day probably for the last two weeks and keep getting woken up by like seven by my dog. I toss and turn then til 9ish and it really messes with my day.

is there anything you guys do to trick your brain/convince your brain into thinking you are tired? i only drink one cup of caffeinated coffee per day and already considering switching back to decaf. maybe any recommendations of tea? or books that make you sleepy?

i typically give a fairly strong interview and wasn't nervous at all til this no sleep thing. last thing i need is to be strung out from insomnia during the interview.
melatonin :)

I take Mighty Night from HUM nutrition (it's a valerian based mix of herbal stuff), I do sound healing, meditation, but when I'm really struggling I have a few visualizations/relaxation techniques I use that are reliable for me....one is imagining everything from my day on a dry erase board and I have to still my mind to erase it without adding new thoughts...if new thoughts appear on the board I have to start over...the other is breathing like a pine tree..I start at the top of my head and exhale out along a tier, inhale and come back in just a fraction lower..I've never made it past my neck lol but in theory you could breath all the way down to your toes....some folks like triangle breathing. I also set my phone to bed mode and try not to leave it next to my bed--because waves and brains and because I can't be tempted to pick it up or scroll. Sorry you;re struggling...insomnia is the worst.

It sounds like a really cool opportunity --I'm sorry your husband is being required to report in person--we're still flex plan at my school, we get to decide for ourselves if we want to report in person or not...it sounds like a lot of logistics to work out with just one car...good luck!

do you ever get weird dreams from it?
Not really....but every person is different and I do know it causes more REM sleep. On another interesting note, researchers have found a link between people who take melatonin supplements and a reduced risk for COVID 19 infection. (which isn't necessarily directly from melatonin per se but because melatonin makes you sleep more peacefully throughout the night and your body has more time to repair itself).

Ok... Here we go :)

I grew up in Australia and moved to Canada about 10 years ago... followed my partner there (she was born in Canada), after meeting in Australia. She actually introduced me to animals. I didn't have any pets growing up and I didn't have any friends who had any either, so I no absolutely no exposure to them, besides dolphins/sharks/penguins while surfing.

I went to college in Australia after high-school and did a Biomedical degree. At the time, I was more interested in chasing money and moved into Real Estate and have been a realtor for a long time now. I needed a change. With three dogs and four horses, and finally finding my "passion" in life (animals), I knew I had to change careers.

Over the last two years I undertook the pre-requisites courses at the closest universities to my house. I also volunteered the my local zoo, and with vets in clinics. Knowing that getting into vet school is the most difficult program to gain entry into, I decided to go the "non-traditional" way of applying outside US/Canada. Plus I just wanted to get the program done as fast as possible, since I am older than everyone here... I'm now 47.

I applied to the Caribbean schools. I got accepted into all of them and I ended up choosing Ross University, since they have the accelerated program which suits us non-traditional students and they have a few hundred animals on campus as well. Also, I ended up meeting lots of recently graduated Ross Vets in Calgary, Canada.

I am about to Start on January 11th for my first semester. (smile)

I have noticed that more than half of the incoming class are non-traditional students. Most are vet techs and a few like me, who are doing a complete career change.

With low interest rates and government loans, don't be afraid of applying. I know in-state schools can be cheaper and if you get in, that's amazing. But don't be afraid of having some debt and chasing your dreams. I am so glad I did.

Finally, apply to schools like Ross and St. Matthews right now. For their next intake, you don't need to do the GRE at all. There is no harm in applying, I am sure you will get in.

If you have any questions applying at Caribbean schools, ask away.
Hello! I'm applying for the fall 2021 intake. Am I able to message you some questions? Thanks

Think Which One GIF
When I started in the field, I had 0 vet/animal experience except for owning a dog, and the first volunteer position I found was in a shelter in the suburbs, 1.5h one-way commute (45min on the train, 30min bus, plus a bit walking). That's where I met my mentor, who single handedly introduced me to the world of veterinary medicine. I was able to land an assistant job a few months later, kept volunteering for shelter clinic on weekends, half a year later I got a tech job.

So my answer is, it depends. If you can truly learn a lot - not only the technical part that can help you get a better job, but also deeper understanding of the field and hopefully some knowledge in medicine, then potentially yes. If you have to travel 1h one way to clean cages and scrub walls ALL DAY, hmmm......

When I started in the field, I had 0 vet/animal experience except for owning a dog, and the first volunteer position I found was in a shelter in the suburbs, 1.5h one-way commute (45min on the train, 30min bus, plus a bit walking). That's where I met my mentor, who single handedly introduced me to the world of veterinary medicine. I was able to land an assistant job a few months later, kept volunteering for shelter clinic on weekends, half a year later I got a tech job.

So my answer is, it depends. If you can truly learn a lot - not only the technical part that can help you get a better job, but also deeper understanding of the field and hopefully some knowledge in medicine, then potentially yes. If you have to travel 1h one way to clean cages and scrub walls ALL DAY, hmmm......
I agree with you. Even when something may not seem as the most desirable, it could lead to a better opportunity. I have driven 45 minutes (one way) to volunteer at an animal hospital to gain experience. I didn't know much about the place or what I would be doing, but the owner was the only vet in my area who returned my calls. She liked me and offered me a job, which I was able to do every off-school season. Many good things have resulted from the experience. I'm glad that I took the opportunity when it came along.

Reactions: 2 users

I hate to sound like some of our more interesting clients...but have you tried CBD? I've had a ton of success taking it morning & night in a tincture format (I've been using the Ned Hormone Blend, which includes stuff to regulate reproductive hormones, but they have a specific sleep blend & straight hemp oils), and I have the CBD Living gummies for the nights when the anxiety just won't quit. But I'm also like you in that I need a decent amount of regular exercise, strict sleep hygiene, and minimal caffeine after 12pm - those are key for me to get consistent, restful sleep. I also like my melatonin supplement (I have a magnesium/melatonin spray supplement from the brand Isagenix - an MLM but WOW do their overpriced products work for me), but I will admit if I go off it for any period of time I have bizzaro dreams for about 4 days. As for the exercise portion, would you be able to supplement your jogging with weight training at home? SO many good Youtube workouts out there, and a lot are geared towards objects you might find in your home, like jugs of water or cans of soup. I have a membership to a studio-based fitness center, and they've been streaming classes on Facebook, which has been inordinately helpful for me.

As for psychological stuff, I actually get a lot of benefit from ASMR videos and guided meditations. Mindfulness training has also been helpful to get me better about focusing on the here-and-now, rather than anxiety spiraling. But those are only particularly helpful when I actually can't sleep due to anxiety, or the sleep anxiety becomes the actual source of true anxiety.

I hate to sound like some of our more interesting clients...but have you tried CBD? I've had a ton of success taking it morning & night in a tincture format (I've been using the Ned Hormone Blend, which includes stuff to regulate reproductive hormones, but they have a specific sleep blend & straight hemp oils), and I have the CBD Living gummies for the nights when the anxiety just won't quit. But I'm also like you in that I need a decent amount of regular exercise, strict sleep hygiene, and minimal caffeine after 12pm - those are key for me to get consistent, restful sleep. I also like my melatonin supplement (I have a magnesium/melatonin spray supplement from the brand Isagenix - an MLM but WOW do their overpriced products work for me), but I will admit if I go off it for any period of time I have bizzaro dreams for about 4 days. As for the exercise portion, would you be able to supplement your jogging with weight training at home? SO many good Youtube workouts out there, and a lot are geared towards objects you might find in your home, like jugs of water or cans of soup. I have a membership to a studio-based fitness center, and they've been streaming classes on Facebook, which has been inordinately helpful for me.

As for psychological stuff, I actually get a lot of benefit from ASMR videos and guided meditations. Mindfulness training has also been helpful to get me better about focusing on the here-and-now, rather than anxiety spiraling. But those are only particularly helpful when I actually can't sleep due to anxiety, or the sleep anxiety becomes the actual source of true anxiety.
I do love cbd! It's been a lifesaver since I was a teenager. But it's partly why I'm in this pinch; i ran out and currently can't afford a fresh bottle of oil 😕 I also can't get to the shop to purchase more gummies because I'm staying with my high risk parents, and I feel weird ordering them over the internet. Though if rates continue going down in my area maybe next week, fingers crossed.

I'll look into those supplements too but they be a little out of my budget.

I hadn't thought of weight training - that's a good idea! For mindfulness I do a little yoga every night and I try using the headspace app sometimes but I'm not too familiar with asmr. Guided meditations sound like they may be worthwhile than me making things up as I go along.

Last week I tried some aroma therapy with incense and read a non-academic book. It was lovely during the day, used to do that a lot in high school. But come nightfall I couldn't fall asleep because the smell was weirdly bothering me which was unusual. But this week has been oddly better which I genuinely cannot explain cause by all indications i should be stressed out of my mind. Guess I'm just *that* tired. But I did start getting back into guitar a few times per week and I think making myself do that has been healthy. It was like part of myself was missing til I picked it back up again.

Hello hello!

I decided to start a thread for non-traditional (or "mature", but if you know me that's probably not the word you'd use :lol:) students applying to vet school this year (c/o 2025 or 2026 for those who are looking at five-year programs overseas). I saw that the Pre-Med students have a whole forum(!) devoted to non-traditional students but didn't see any threads in the Pre-Vet forum for it so here we are.

Hopefully we can connect with each other, share our experiences or worries about attending vet school as older (but not old!) students, and stop clogging up the UPenn thread 😂. Feel free to share whatever, I know that I personally sometimes need a reminder that I'm not the only non-trad out there!
Hi all. I’m in my 50s and just completed my first year of vet school. Yes I have had a whole other professional life and a couple of advanced degrees. This is something I have wanted to do my whole life and now I’m doing it. I’d say to anyone if you are accepted go for it!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
I do love cbd! It's been a lifesaver since I was a teenager. But it's partly why I'm in this pinch; i ran out and currently can't afford a fresh bottle of oil 😕 I also can't get to the shop to purchase more gummies because I'm staying with my high risk parents, and I feel weird ordering them over the internet. Though if rates continue going down in my area maybe next week, fingers crossed.

I'll look into those supplements too but they be a little out of my budget.

I hadn't thought of weight training - that's a good idea! For mindfulness I do a little yoga every night and I try using the headspace app sometimes but I'm not too familiar with asmr. Guided meditations sound like they may be worthwhile than me making things up as I go along.

Last week I tried some aroma therapy with incense and read a non-academic book. It was lovely during the day, used to do that a lot in high school. But come nightfall I couldn't fall asleep because the smell was weirdly bothering me which was unusual. But this week has been oddly better which I genuinely cannot explain cause by all indications i should be stressed out of my mind. Guess I'm just *that* tired. But I did start getting back into guitar a few times per week and I think making myself do that has been healthy. It was like part of myself was missing til I picked it back up again.
I really like the control-release portion of guided meditation - I don’t have to make myself think of anything, I can just think of the things the person on the video/audio is telling me to think about! ASMR can be a little weird to people, not gonna lie. It took me a while to figure out what types of things I like to listen to for which situations, and some people just can’t get over the weird/uncomfortable factor. GentleWhisperingASMR is a good channel to start out with if you wanted to check it out - headphones are a must, though!

yeah, CBD can definitely be expensive, but I’ve found Ned to be fairly affordable comparatively, especially once I figured out the amount I’d be likely to go through per month & set up a subscription to save money. It primarily helps me manage my PMS symptoms, which have previously totally sidelined me with anxiety, insomnia, and mood swings.

Hi all. I’m in my 50s and just completed my first year of vet school. Yes I have had a whole other professional life and a couple of advanced degrees. This is something I have wanted to do my whole life and now I’m doing it. I’d say to anyone if you are accepted go for it!
Congratulations on finishing year one! Would love to hear your story about life before vet school and how you decided to pursue this path!

Retired from teaching bio and chem. Got my CVT and deciliter was not enough so here I am. 😀

Decided sorry and thank you for your good wishes!!!
So amazing! Any vet school advice for the rest of us older folks (you know, without the memory skills of 20-year olds, or the knees/backs) after finishing up your first year?? Congrats on your journey you are an inspiration!

Hey everyone! I would consider myself to be a non-traditional vet school applicant simply because I originally went to school to be a Veterinary Technician, then later finally put my nose to the grindstone and decided I have what it takes to become a full blown Veterinarian. I am 23, I will be 24 this July but I consider my story to be unique because I started my college experience fresh out of high school, raised as a Jehovah's Witness. My freshman year was very thrilling as I had never experienced Halloween, parties, or even just normal social settings with so many peers my same age. As you can imagine, my grades reflected my new found independence and love for freedom to dictate my own decisions. Thankfully I got my act together over the last several years and took my GPA of a 2.98 and raised that bad boy to a 3.61. My journey has not been easy and it is far from over but every second has been worth it and I will continue to work hard and push on, as I'm sure you also all will be doing. We will be Veterinarian's people 👩‍⚕️ ✨ :love: 💘 🐾 Currently waiting to hear back from St. George's as I interviewed in October and I have an interview with Ross Vet school tomorrow! #excited #finalcountdown #nevergiveup

Reactions: 8 users
Hi all!

Another lurker who just recently decided, "hey, maybe I should post my experiences too!" Hello! I'm 23, will be 24 this May. I graduated after 5 years of undergraduate, switched my major three times, and then finally graduated with my BA in American Indian Studies and BS in Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology. I love wildlife, volunteered at our schools Raptor Center and also volunteered at a few wildlife centers and for the longest time, wanted to practice only with exotics/wildlife. After some volunteer work though with my reservation's animal rescue, and the University of Minnesota's student group SIRVS (a vet school group that provides free veterinary care to reservations in MN), I decided I'd rather do "a little bit of everything" (SA/LA/wildlife) in order to best serve my tribal community in the future. After graduating, my plan was to take a year off and work on my resume before applying for vet schools...also retake some classes, because my GPA is dismally low compared to all of you (3.1 cumulative, probably a 2.9 in vet school pre-reqs) but then I decided to pursue a masters in Tribal Natural Resources and Environmental Stewardship. Last minute, I decided to apply for schools with the thought process that if I got accepted, I would defer a year, but if I didn't, that would be totally fine and I would use the year to work on the weak areas in my application. However, I got accepted into CSU's VetPrep program! I decided its too good of an opportunity to pass, so I'm excited to move out there. The road is long and winding, but the journey is worth it.

Reactions: 13 users
Hi all!

Another lurker who just recently decided, "hey, maybe I should post my experiences too!" Hello! I'm 23, will be 24 this May. I graduated after 5 years of undergraduate, switched my major three times, and then finally graduated with my BA in American Indian Studies and BS in Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology. I love wildlife, volunteered at our schools Raptor Center and also volunteered at a few wildlife centers and for the longest time, wanted to practice only with exotics/wildlife. After some volunteer work though with my reservation's animal rescue, and the University of Minnesota's student group SIRVS (a vet school group that provides free veterinary care to reservations in MN), I decided I'd rather do "a little bit of everything" (SA/LA/wildlife) in order to best serve my tribal community in the future. After graduating, my plan was to take a year off and work on my resume before applying for vet schools...also retake some classes, because my GPA is dismally low compared to all of you (3.1 cumulative, probably a 2.9 in vet school pre-reqs) but then I decided to pursue a masters in Tribal Natural Resources and Environmental Stewardship. Last minute, I decided to apply for schools with the thought process that if I got accepted, I would defer a year, but if I didn't, that would be totally fine and I would use the year to work on the weak areas in my application. However, I got accepted into CSU's VetPrep program! I decided its too good of an opportunity to pass, so I'm excited to move out there. The road is long and winding, but the journey is worth it.
Congrats @bdoketu ! It seems that despite the changes in major, the vet part of you was lurking in there all along ;) I love your aspirations for the future, and just know you're going to be doing great things. Clearly CSU does too, so best of luck to you on your exciting journey!!

Hey everyone! I would consider myself to be a non-traditional vet school applicant simply because I originally went to school to be a Veterinary Technician, then later finally put my nose to the grindstone and decided I have what it takes to become a full blown Veterinarian. I am 23, I will be 24 this July but I consider my story to be unique because I started my college experience fresh out of high school, raised as a Jehovah's Witness. My freshman year was very thrilling as I had never experienced Halloween, parties, or even just normal social settings with so many peers my same age. As you can imagine, my grades reflected my new found independence and love for freedom to dictate my own decisions. Thankfully I got my act together over the last several years and took my GPA of a 2.98 and raised that bad boy to a 3.61. My journey has not been easy and it is far from over but every second has been worth it and I will continue to work hard and push on, as I'm sure you also all will be doing. We will be Veterinarian's people 👩‍⚕️ ✨ :love: 💘 🐾 Currently waiting to hear back from St. George's as I interviewed in October and I have an interview with Ross Vet school tomorrow! #excited #finalcountdown #nevergiveup
Wow.. I stopped attending JW meetings and everything else because of their view on higher education. I can only imagine your difficulties and truly wish you the best on your journey!

• Wow
Wow.. I stopped attending JW meetings and everything else because of their view on higher education. I can only imagine your difficulties and truly wish you the best on your journey!
Omg that's interesting to hear! I definitely see where you are coming from with your viewpoint. :) Good luck to you too!

Hello! I am not sure how "non-traditional" I am so y'all can boot me if I'm not :rofl:
I'm 23, 24 in August, and went to junior college straight out of highschool. I've been in college since the Fall of 2015, and am graduating with my BS in the summer. I started off a business major and took three solid years to get my AA. Family issues and paying for school out of pocket with a part time job and other bills significantly affected my course loads. In 2019 I started school at a university and began pursuing a BS in Animal Sciences. Changing my major plan from BA to BS meant a lot of my junior and sophomore courses didn't fulfill degree requirements. I had always loved vet med and had been fascinated by it, but was adamant that it was not for me. Not smart enough, not emotionally sound enough, not socially inclined enough, not this, not that, etc. Moving away from home and getting a 4.0 during my first university semester really changed things for me. I had taken 16 hours when the most I had taken before was 12. I always had C's and B's before and now I had straight A's. My entire life perspective changed as did my self confidence. The next semester I switched things up again, which negated most of the previous semester's courses. I went head first into prereqs, and took 16 hours, then 19, then 21 just last fall. I began scrambling for experiences, the ones I had were very unofficial and were just me following around my family vets because I loved it, not for any purpose. I applied to six schools this cycle and have received 5 rejections. I am absolutely okay with waiting another cycle. I have never been happier, more fulfilled, or more confident. I absolutely love reading everyone's diverse stories here, SDN has been a massive help.
ETA: I'm also getting married in March and my SO and I have been pursuing degrees at the same time. I feel very different being an applicant with a spouse since most don't seem to. I've been discouraged by some that starting a life with my spouse and vet school won't be possible, that to be successful I need to be diving into this solo, but we've been together 8 years and that's just not going to happen.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello! I am not sure how "non-traditional" I am so y'all can boot me if I'm not :rofl:
I'm 23, 24 in August, and went to junior college straight out of highschool. I've been in college since the Fall of 2015, and am graduating with my BS in the summer. I started off a business major and took three solid years to get my AA. Family issues and paying for school out of pocket with a part time job and other bills significantly affected my course loads. In 2019 I started school at a university and began pursuing a BS in Animal Sciences. Changing my major plan from BA to BS meant a lot of my junior and sophomore courses didn't fulfill degree requirements. I had always loved vet med and had been fascinated by it, but was adamant that it was not for me. Not smart enough, not emotionally sound enough, not socially inclined enough, not this, not that, etc. Moving away from home and getting a 4.0 during my first university semester really changed things for me. I had taken 16 hours when the most I had taken before was 12. I always had C's and B's before and now I had straight A's. My entire life perspective changed as did my self confidence. The next semester I switched things up again, which negated most of the previous semester's courses. I went head first into prereqs, and took 16 hours, then 19, then 21 just last fall. I began scrambling for experiences, the ones I had were very unofficial and were just me following around my family vets because I loved it, not for any purpose. I applied to six schools this cycle and have received 5 rejections. I am absolutely okay with waiting another cycle. I have never been happier, more fulfilled, or more confident. I absolutely love reading everyone's diverse stories here, SDN has been a massive help.
ETA: I'm also getting married in March and my SO and I have been pursuing degrees at the same time. I feel very different being an applicant with a spouse since most don't seem to. I've been discouraged by some that starting a life with my spouse and vet school won't be possible, that to be successful I need to be diving into this solo, but we've been together 8 years and that's just not going to happen.

Sounds like you found your calling! Props to you for pursuing what you found you love. I will say that it is totally possible to be married, have a family, kids, etc. while in vet school. I am speaking from experience and would say at least 50% of my class is married or engaged, a few of us even have young children. The amazing thing about veterinary school is the uniqueness of each student’s journey to get there and the one we each go through while pursuing our DVM. Good luck!

• Care
So amazing! Any vet school advice for the rest of us older folks (you know, without the memory skills of 20-year olds, or the knees/backs) after finishing up your first year?? Congrats on your journey you are an inspiration!
Hi! The transition was difficult but I can say I feel pretty good in third term. You sort of have to respect the learning curve and keep your head up. I also have made a point of befriending a lot of my classmates. They have been awesome with tech help as well.

• Care
I know of several student couples who are making it work and they have a child or two. You will figure it out. Keep pushing!!!

• Care
Just checking in to see how my fellow non-traditional students are doing!! This wait is killer, I am barely sleeping these days! 😅

I'm in the
Just checking in to see how my fellow non-traditional students are doing!! This wait is killer, I am barely sleeping these days! 😅
I'm in the same boat! A new month starts tomorrow, so I'm telling myself that soon the News@The Snail News will arrive.

I'm all right, glad the waiting game is coming to an end. My semester is starting so I've been more busy. I got into Ross and I'm waiting to hear back from Ohio, and then still need to interview with Tufts on Tuesday. I thought I would be more worried at this point but I'm genuinely relieved that it's almost over and I'll know soon.

I have mixed feelings about the Caribbean now that I've learned how tricky it is to bring dogs over especially during pandemic times, so I'm really hoping I get positive news from a US school. if not, I may take a hit and reapply next year to a greater number of US/Canadian schools.

I hate not knowing but I've been so strung out I'm trying to like...find balance somehow

• Care
I'm all right, glad the waiting game is coming to an end. My semester is starting so I've been more busy. I got into Ross and I'm waiting to hear back from Ohio, and then still need to interview with Tufts on Tuesday. I thought I would be more worried at this point but I'm genuinely relieved that it's almost over and I'll know soon.

I have mixed feelings about the Caribbean now that I've learned how tricky it is to bring dogs over especially during pandemic times, so I'm really hoping I get positive news from a US school. if not, I may take a hit and reapply next year to a greater number of US/Canadian schools.

I hate not knowing but I've been so strung out I'm trying to like...find balance somehow
Good luck with the tufts interview. I’ll be sending you peaceful, focused vibes lol I’m still facepalming over mine. The semester has started for me too and it’s given me something else to be high strung about lol one class is not very well organized and it’s making me a bit batty!

• Care
Good luck with the tufts interview. I’ll be sending you peaceful, focused vibes lol I’m still facepalming over mine. The semester has started for me too and it’s given me something else to be high strung about lol one class is not very well organized and it’s making me a bit batty!
Thank you!! Peaceful, focused vibes sound great. I'm hoping they rolled with your situation and liked that you were able to work well under pressure. Maybe it'll work out :)

For me yeah I'm going in kind of curious, I've been rewatching Indiana Jones to prepare since that's what I wrote my essay about 😅 and otherwise just trying to give myself a pep-talk like, they must've seen something they liked between my weird essay and weird grades. Still nervous though.

Thank you!! Peaceful, focused vibes sound great. I'm hoping they rolled with your situation and liked that you were able to work well under pressure. Maybe it'll work out :)

For me yeah I'm going in kind of curious, I've been rewatching Indiana Jones to prepare since that's what I wrote my essay about 😅 and otherwise just trying to give myself a pep-talk like, they must've seen something they liked between my weird essay and weird grades. Still nervous though.
I hope we end up classmates because you give off a really unique vibe and I dig it.

I agree with the waiting, even though I got into my dream school, I'm still waiting to see if/where else I get in + financial aid/scholarships before I make a commitment. I would love to just pull the trigger on my first choice but I want to make a smart informed decision about it (plus the deposit and visa alone are ~8,000 dollars and I just don't have that right now). I'm interviewing Edinburgh and Penn this week, then I'm finally done with interviews!

Other than that, I'm now working full time (and about to pick up a second job part-time because money) and really missing classes 😂 I got my diploma yesterday and it made it feel very real that I was finally done undergrad. On the other hand, I got all in my feels when I saw it because it was a representative of all my hard work both in class and gaining veterinary/animal experience. Anyone else feel like your pre-vet journey helped change you into a person you're actually proud to be???

I hope everyone else is doing well and staying strong! Honestly when I'm bored I real other schools' threads and get all excited when I see others getting excited about interviews/acceptances. It makes me so happy to see my peers doing well! 🤩

SO CLOSE GUYS. WE'RE GONNA BE BABY VETS SOON OMG!!!!!!!!!

• Love