Non-traditional with a few flounders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-PAstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional, recently graduated student who made the decision to pursue a PA career a little later in college life. I had no prior experience with science-based courses in high school as the curriculum didn't require it, and paid the price for having to start at the bottom of the bottom in terms of learning AND achieving acceptable grades. I knew nothing about the CASPA application process and thus was ignorant to what the cumulative GPA, science and non science, would calculate and include. Due to some major familial/personal issues, I had to withdraw from a couple courses, and re-took gen-Chem (both I and II) twice. I also have a couple less than satisfactory grades I am not proud of that I know will be on the overall calculation.

However, I graduated as a non-traditional student with slightly above a 3.5, made Dean's list for a few of the semesters, and I have been really nailing these PA program pre-reqs with B+'s, A-'s, and A's so far with only two more left to go. I realize I am not the most competitive aspiring student out there, but I am hoping to at least not be rejected at first glance by admissions committees!

As anyone else in my position would ask, how badly does my prior history floundering about look to programs, considering I had no idea what I wanted to do but knew it would be somehow related to the medical field (either administrative or as a medical professional) and did not have the advisors available to help me and warn me in advance of what all grades will do for me in an application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.