Non Traditional with a lot of variables

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlm84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel lost and have no idea what my chances are, any insights are appreciated. Very non traditional, but this is my passion. It just so happens the way my life fell together doesn't match the prescribed timeline by AAMC, advisers, etc. So I have strengths and weaknesses:

Business major 2002-2004, struggled with depression and grades showed it, 2.67. 4 years off to work, take care of family after a loss.

Returned to school, finished the Business bachelors much more mature and focused with med as the goal all along, Summa Cum Laude.
Finished science pre-reqs this year.

Numbers: 3.84 degree gpa, 3.8 overall since returning in 2008. 3.4 overall including my early years. 3.76 for sciences. Waiting on MCAT scores, took it last week.

I also lack significant experience. This past year I got certified as an EMT for work this year (looking now), have been shadowing, but no research and volunteering never matched my schedule though I plan on it this year. Right now I'm at about 12 activities on the primary app, how bad does that look?

Overall I have the grades I think, but I'm so discombobulated, lack some experience, and applying in Mid-August.

What say you SDN??

Members don't see this ad.

On the plus side, your nontrad status and recent upward grade trend will be helpful. If the BCPM of 3.76 includes all the sciences since 2002, that is a huge plus.

More of a disadvantage would be the implied complete lack of clinical experience working with sick folks. Perhaps you have other altruistic activities besides community service that some schools would regard. If the shadowing is extremely strong, that might help you, especially if you get some clinical experience going soon. If not, then there might be reason to wait a year to seriously pursue an application while you beef up your activities.

A lack of research is less of an issue for a nontrad.

About 9-10 activities is average for what is listed on applications.

Applying mid-August will put you at some disadvantage. How much depends on the strength of your MCAT score.