Non-traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

js8245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for reading over this and offering your honest opinions.

Background: I kind of sleepwalked through undergrad, never finding anything to study that I really enjoyed and ended up graduating with a sports administration degree and a GPA of 3.16. I worked a couple years following graduation, but was still looking for something more fulfilling.

After doing some career exploration and job shadowing, I ended up getting into an athletic training program and earned a master's degree with a 3.6 GPA. I have been practicing as a clinical/high school athletic trainer for about a year and really enjoying it.

I was able to spend some time in a rotation with a sports medicine fellowship trained pediatrician and my interest to further my education and pursue medicine has been very high ever since.

During undergrad, I took virtually no science classes that are prerequisites for medical school - only took biology I and got a C. I just finished taking general chemistry I and physics I and earned A's in both. Still would need to finish the second semesters of those classes finish rest of prereqs (physics, biology, organic chemistry, biochemistry, etc).

Bottom line...if I am able to finish those prereqs with A's and earn a respectable score on the MCAT, would I have a reasonable shot at medical school acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you would.

No one can give you any advice because your whole academic package is just a "what if?" at this point. I would imagine your AT work will be a great selling point if you can perform well academically over the next couple years.

You absolutely can. However, talking is easy, while doing is hard.