Non Traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm1818

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently completed my Masters in Healthcare Admin in September of 2010 and have a BA in HA from India. I am currently in the process of completing my pre reqs for med school and have about 5 years worth of experience as a service rep in outpatient, radiology services and currently working in ER as a admitting rep. Would I still need to do some more voluntary work in other clinical areas to be considered as a candidate for med school. ps I'm working full time and going to school full time.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of patient interaction does a "rep" have? Presuming this was a patient-interactive work experience, rather than volunteer, what sort of community service have you done? You'll want to have some volunteerism on your application, so if the above activity was paid, you'd probably want to begin engaging in some if it isn't ongoing already, ideally with a group that helps those with poor resources and is a cause you care about, for a few hours a week.

What I used to do other than checking in patients for their appointments was to get their vitals, give the patients the radiological drinks for their CT and stuff, help them dress and undress for any procedures, sometimes explain the basic of the procedure regarding the waiting time and all to the family with out going into the medical part of things as I was non clinical. I also chaperoned a couple of times for the doctors so they could perform specific tests on patients, printed their medical records for them, currently I am in the ER I admit patients who directly come to ER on their own or in the Ambulance, I set up AHCCCS apps for them, I collect copays for ER, run authorization reports and even call up insurances for authorizations for treatment etc.
If I need to volunteer any chance that I can do it after I have started my application procedure because as I said I am currently working full time and taking about 3 classes (phy, chem and a&p) for the fall session. And I plan to apply for the 2013 class. Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
The experience you have as a "rep" sounds like good quality clinical activity.

A demonstration of your altruism is of key importance to success as a med school applicant. They will look at your application and wonder why it is that you could not give one hour of your time each week to help others without recompense.

So I'd say yes, it's a good idea to volunteer for something, ideally something nonmedical since you have clinical experience well covered. And you'll be less likely to be a reapplicant if you start doing it now, as longevity is valued.

I actually disagree. When I interviewed med school applicants, I never had some checklist whereby the candidate needed volunteer work. Every applicant has their obligatory research and/or volunteer work. The ability to check off the "volunteer" box just says you're like everyone else. What I'm interested is what you get out of your experiences, so that you distinguish yourself from everyone else. If all you can show was 1 hour per week doing something you didn't care much about, that's worse in my eyes than telling me about all the exciting cases you got to observe while working intake. At the end of the day, we're looking for evidence that you can succeed academically, and evidence that you are a sane responsible and well rounded individual who would fit in well with and add to the community.

That's not to say you should avoid community service. But if you're going to do it, go big or go home. Make it count.

I got to learn a lot of things while working as a patient service rep and it was not all fluff either, the physicians and the clinical staff would one way or other share their concerns with me sometimes regarding a patient if and when I told them how a certain patient felt about the medical treatment or procedure they were about to receive or are receiving. Another thing is that I worked in a surgical specialty department with chronically ill patients this allowed me to view the real pressure and stress a doctor is in when a patient does not follow advice and sometimes how patients get agitated when they are unable to convince their doctors about their problems. I guess I have seen enough to know that medicine is not all a path of roses and that once you are out medical school does not mean you will be making a six figures and leading a happy life there are a lot of hardships that a resident then fellow and then a doctor has to face and overcome to become the best they can.