Non-trads, are you bored with "easy" prereqs after finishing the more difficult ones?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancing_DPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to vent. As a non-trad student, once I realized PT was my life path, I jumped right back into school with gusto. I was excited and thirsty to challenge myself with all the science courses I never took for my Bachelor of Fine Arts. As I got deeper into the process, I realized there were a few core classes I needed that I didn't get in my first go-'round of college, namely: abnormal psych, a math class, and Bio 2.

I thought I was being nice to myself to leave the easier stuff for the end, but now that I've submitted my app and am anxiously awaiting to start the next chapter, these classes all seem like a joke full of busy work, that sadly will have little to do with PT (OK, I know *why* I need those classes, but after taking such in-depth high level classes like cadaver anatomy and advanced human physiology...I'm just not interested).

I'm still working hard and studying just as much for these classes (even though my interest level is at an all-time low), but I resent taking them, and I really miss being in classes full of people seriously pursuing a medical degree and some sort of grad school. I'm not the type of student who would let lack of interest translate into a lower grade, I'm just frustrated. I'm so ready to move on.

I also have to re-take statistics since my previous class is too old to count towards prereqs now. Luckily I liked stats a lot.

Any other non-trads feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@dancing_DPT I feel the same way you do... I'm currently retaking a few classes this semester that isn't related to PT at a CC. And I, too, miss being in a class full of serious people. I'm in two lower-division classes (retaking them to bump up my cGPA) with young adolescents that just aren't on my level of focus. There's too much kiddish behavior in my classes, and it's rotting my brain out. I just want to start my DPT classes already with real professionals!!! I'm really just hoping for one, JUST ONE school to bite and accept my application. The waiting game is such a grueling experience... Ughh, I absolutely hate the anxiety feeling but I can only wait at this point in time.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's super annoying to be surrounded by teenage kids who have yet to decide their major, when I'm feeling so laser-focused and ready to take the next step.

The waiting is THE WORST. I know I will hear nothing until December (both schools I applied to don't have rolling admissions and send out their interview invites all at once), so I'm trying to just let it go, but being in this particular situation just seems to HIGHLIGHT the misery of not knowing more than mask it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind: 1) What are your stats? 2) What schools did you apply to?

Yeah, those schools w/out rolling is dreadful. Hence, I applied to a few schools that do rolling since I applied last month like NOVA (#1 choice). :D Hopefully, I hear from someone soon.

As a non-trad I do resent having to retake easy classes because some schools won't accept my old credits. I have to retake psychology next quarter, and am in the process of retaking statistics as well. Just one more hoop to jump through.

Not exactly the same as you, but after starting college for the first time after being in the military for the last 10 years, I want to choke the crap out of some of these kids in class. I just can't understand why anybody would pay for school, and just blow it off or mess around in class, disrupting others trying to learn. It drives me nuts. I get that I'm 30 with a room full of 19 year olds, but come on. I like finding other "older guys" and pairing with them if I need to, they are usually focused and want to be there as much as I do. Good luck to everybody applying this cycle.

Not exactly the same as you, but after starting college for the first time after being in the military for the last 10 years, I want to choke the crap out of some of these kids in class. I just can't understand why anybody would pay for school, and just blow it off or mess around in class, disrupting others trying to learn. It drives me nuts. I get that I'm 30 with a room full of 19 year olds, but come on. I like finding other "older guys" and pairing with them if I need to, they are usually focused and want to be there as much as I do. Good luck to everybody applying this cycle.

Totally agree with this. If you want to chat with your friends, eat snacks, and text, you can do that at home. It makes me crazy, it's so rude and disruptive.

I just can't understand why anybody would pay for school, and just blow it off or mess around in class, disrupting others trying to learn.

Mommy and Daddy are paying for school, that's why. When I was an undergraduate, that kind of behavior annoyed me too. It especially annoyed me when I went back to school at age 24. I couldn't stand the adolescent behavior and attitude. Look for other older students to associate with and ignore the kids.

I need to vent. As a non-trad student, once I realized PT was my life path, I jumped right back into school with gusto. I was excited and thirsty to challenge myself with all the science courses I never took for my Bachelor of Fine Arts. As I got deeper into the process, I realized there were a few core classes I needed that I didn't get in my first go-'round of college, namely: abnormal psych, a math class, and Bio 2.

I thought I was being nice to myself to leave the easier stuff for the end, but now that I've submitted my app and am anxiously awaiting to start the next chapter, these classes all seem like a joke full of busy work, that sadly will have little to do with PT (OK, I know *why* I need those classes, but after taking such in-depth high level classes like cadaver anatomy and advanced human physiology...I'm just not interested).

I'm still working hard and studying just as much for these classes (even though my interest level is at an all-time low), but I resent taking them, and I really miss being in classes full of people seriously pursuing a medical degree and some sort of grad school. I'm not the type of student who would let lack of interest translate into a lower grade, I'm just frustrated. I'm so ready to move on.

I also have to re-take statistics since my previous class is too old to count towards prereqs now. Luckily I liked stats a lot.

I wouldn't say I'm non trad, but maybe I am. I never even knew about PT until I was in a pretty bad car accident, and now it is the only career I am excited and passionate about. As someone with a bio degree, I took immunology, clinical biochemistry, like 4 microbiology courses, and toxicology, all completely irrelevant to PT. I also currently work in clinical trials for FDA new drug approval, and somehow I too needed to take or retake basic pre reqs. You just have to do it until you can get in, look at it like the light at the end of the tunnel I guess.

However, when I got my MPH, since it was more of a clinical perspective it made a lot more sense and was a lot more enjoyable.

Once your in DPT school, I'm sure you will not loose interest,.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Kids will be kids. I wouldn't hold anything against people who have a 'less than mature' mindset at that age. Many people were in those shoes once. Also, many of those kids who eat, text, etc., still manage to get solid A's. If it bothers you that much, say something politely or switch seats. I found that being able to work and concentrate within that type of environment helped me improve my focusing skills. A valued skill in PT school.

If you guys think the 22 year olds in PT school are much different, boy, are you going to be disappointed.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm a non-traditional student as well (3 years working after graduating) and going back at first was great. Classes were interesting (A&P I, II, ect.) and I though getting those done first would look better on an application... but now i'm done with all the "fun" difficult classes and only have College Algebra (which is like a remedial course after Physics), Stats, Life Span (I was a psych minor so this is a breeze) and Bio II. I keep finding that I want to start brushing up on A&P and medical terminology again... Very excited for next fall to roll around....

Classes that are populated mostly with freshman can definitely get annoying...but even the upper level biology classes full of pre-meds make me wonder how in the world these people are ever going to make it in med school...

And as for the waiting, I got my apps done a couple of weeks ago and now I have to wait til March to find out about getting in to NAU (top choice)...6 months I have to wait! The decisions for interviews are made by simple GPA and GRE ranking and aren't sent out until the beginning of February, but somehow apps are due by the beginning of November. Makes you wonder what could possibly going on with those apps for 3 months...

:hungover:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what it boils down to is hoops. You have to jump through them with a smile on your face to get to the good stuff. Some hoops are more frustrating than others. But it's all a part of the (currently excruciatingly slow) process.

Reactions: 1 users
I think what drives me crazier is that the teacher that I have for one of these courses, an intro to biology course, seems to have the same mindset and lackadaisical attitude, if not worse towards actually addressing questions students may have . He's one of those teachers that appears to be helpful, but really starts to get annoyed/off tangent anytime he's asked a question. This compounded with the fact that I just finished up an intensive anatomy course over the summer with one of the best professors I've ever had...Sometimes I don't know how I last 3 hour increments just listening to my intro to bio teacher seemingly wasting my time and life away.

I will say, having had that anatomy course, which felt so useful and such a great step going towards PT, makes taking this course truly that much more unbearable.

I'll take those easy bio classes any day over physics :D:D:D

Ohh physics. I don't think I've met a PT hopeful yet who actually enjoyed physics and easily understood it. I spent a lot of time taking notes while being ??????????? Somehow I did well, and I have since forgotten everything I "learned"

I'm currently studying for a bio 2 test that covers plants and protists. Pretty sure this is the furthest thing from useful for PT I've encountered.

Ohh physics. I don't think I've met a PT hopeful yet who actually enjoyed physics and easily understood it. I spent a lot of time taking notes while being ??????????? Somehow I did well, and I have since forgotten everything I "learned"

I'm currently studying for a bio 2 test that covers plants and protists. Pretty sure this is the furthest thing from useful for PT I've encountered.
haha yeah somehow I did well in physics also, but I did not enjoy trying to learn the subject at all. Right now I'm taking zoology :beaver::bear::panda::penguin::cow::owle:, and even though it seems irrelevant to physical therapy, I'm enjoying learning about different animals much more than any matieral covered in physics.

Yup! Physics was a brain-burner to learn. However, bio-psychology is actually pretty interesting to learn (currently taking this class)... and it can be relevant to PT. :D This is a retake and I don't understand what I was thinking during my undergrad years skipping it for day games of beer pong. LOL! If I can go back in time and tell my "stupid 19 year old self" what to do... I'd probably slap the **** out of myself and demand I stay in class and actually learn! Hahaha!

Just because a piece of information isn't directly needed to be productive in your chosen profession doesn't mean their isn't intrinsic value to learning and expanding your knowledge. It's just a bummer that doing so via a typical university format is so obscenely expensive...

Yes! So happy to know I am not alone. Dancing_DPT sounds like we are in the same boat! I have a BFA in dance and have returned to school as well. I have finished up all of my difficult science classes and am just trying to stay motivated through sociology and retaking an expired statistics class.... Almost there! This time next year hopefully we will all be back to the cool classes in grad school.

@PT-Dancer it seems we are in exactly the same boat! Where did you get your BFA from? I graduated from University of Cincinnati

@PT-Dancer I'm really hoping to get into University of Colorado Anschutz. I currently live in Denver and am in love with the program.

@PT-Dancer I'm really hoping to get into University of Colorado Anschutz. I currently live in Denver and am in love with the program.

@dancing_DPT Oh wow! I applied there as well - except they would require me to take and additional pre-rec in the spring. I currently live in the Philadelphia area, and will most likely end up attending school in this area - but my husband and I are trying to make our way to Denver in the next 3 years, either before PT school or afterwords!