Non-US Citizen Applicants to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momo7430

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting school this year, but I have been searching all over the web to find information for a friend of mine (who will be going allopathic) and who will be applying this June. She is not a US citizen or permanent resident. She has a very high GPA with pending MCAT score. She plans on staying here/practicing here (in the US) but is not a citizen yet. It seems that almost NO schools are willing to accept students who are not citizens or permanent residents.
Does anyone have any advice or experience with this problem? Also does anyone know of any websites with databases that might contain info about how many (and which) schools matriculate international students.
If anyone knows schools that do, would you please post them.

I have only found:
Harvard
UNC Chapel Hill

Thanks a bunch! :D
momo

Members don't see this ad.

i think ucla accepted 1 noncitizen/nonPR last year.

derf said:
i think ucla accepted 1 noncitizen/nonPR last year.

Where is she from? Where did she go to school?

If she went to school in the US, she's good to go at every private school with very few exceptions - eg mayo.

If she didn't and the country she is from is not Canada, then that's a big problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most private schools in U.S. offers admission to foreign students. Search SDN, and I am sure you will find a bunch. It is more of a problem with getting financial aid.

Many private schools offer admission to internationals and some publics do as well. It's just hard to get in because there are not many spots available. For example, Even though UVA is open to foreign students, there are currently none in my class. She shouldn't expect too much, but it's still worth applying if she has high stats. I personally know a few internationals in Hopkins and in other schools.

thebiz98 said:
Where is she from? Where did she go to school?

If she went to school in the US, she's good to go at every private school with very few exceptions - eg mayo.

If she didn't and the country she is from is not Canada, then that's a big problem.

She's German, but she is getting her Bachelors here in the Florida at a University.

Thanks for your responses!

Most private U.S. schools accept internationals without issue. Securing loans in normally the major concern. Some state schools also accept internationals too (SUNY Upstate and Penn State are examples). I personally know a German girl who obtained her B.S. from Rice, scored a 30 on the MCAT, and successfully gained admission into several U.S. schools as an international - including Vanderbilt and Stanford.

Thanks everyone... Please keep the comments coming. :luck:

Your feedback is very encouraging.

momo7430 said:
Thanks everyone... Please keep the comments coming. :luck:

Your feedback is very encouraging.

Hi,

I am in a similar situation, and I got some answers to the same questions earlier this month. You can look them up under Foreigner :)

Good Luck to your friend.

We have 1 F-1 student in our class. I was almost one as well, but got my Green Card before school started. There were many threads last year where people posted the names of schools where foreigners are MATRICULATING (there's at least 15-20 schools there)