Non US citizen but U.S. med school graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessica99

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-US citizen (Canadian) who is in med school in syracuse. I am interested in applying to nyc for residency but unsure in what specialty (radiology or medicine). I was wondering if anyone has any information about how being a non- citizen/non-resident will affect my status for resideny application (if at all). Anyw information that anyone has on the subject would be very helpful. Thank you all in advance

Members don't see this ad.

If you graduate from a US medical school, I think most residency programs will look at your application in the same way as US citizens attending a US medical school.

However, you may have to look into changing your visa status once you start your residency. I assume you are on a F-1 status unless you are a US permanent resident. The IMG's on the board will be better able to help you, but I think your visa will change to a H-1 or J-1.

I don't know if this is accurate, but I hear Canadians doing a residency in the US will not be able to go back to Canada to practice medicine. You'd have to do a Canadian residency for that.

I'm a Canadian (F-1 visa) graduating from an American Medical school who just match in an academic medical center in a major metropolitan area.

First, we (i.e. Canadians) are in a VERY unique situation, since were are not FMGs; however, as IMGs, we come from a country with a unique relationship with the US. Certain rules/visa apply to us in a different manner than someone from a non-Canadian country.

The Canadian citizenship issue is a nebulous subject for every single person I have asked...it should not affect your application, but it may affect how a program ultimately ranks you. This is really based on personal experience and not on any hard data.

Regardless if you have graduated from an American Medical School, some research-intensive schools may have worries about your ability to apply for research grants (as a non-American). Others may only give out J-1 visas (the one where you have to leave the country for 2 years).

Please be aware that you need to be extremely vigilant with follow-up on programs...some may inadvertently delete your file because they assume, as an F-1 or a non-US citizen, you are an FMG. Obviously you are not!

Contact me directly if you'd like to discuss this more.