Non-US citizens with US undergrad degrees considering/currently attending SGU.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceecyMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am seriously considering SGU and have an upcoming interview. My main dilenma is that I am international i.e Non-US citizen, and I was wondering if there have been any issues (mainly with acquring a VISA) with people with my profile coming back into the US for rotations (I believe that's after the 2nd year in Grenada).

Does SGU help with this in any way? I doubt that tho.

If anyone has any useful information for me please reply.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on you citizenship.

Do you happen to be Canadian?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am Nigerian.

You would need to contact the school AND contact the US embassy in Abuja to make sure that it will be easy for you to get a temporary study visa for clinical rotations. For Canadians, it is as easy as paying $6 for a study visa at the border.

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll contact my int'l student rep and clarify, but I always like to hear first-hand experiences. If anyone has that, please reply or PM me. Thanks!!!

For anyone who cares to know or would need this info in the future, I found out that you'd need to apply for a B-1 visa to re-enter the states for clinical rotations.

Hi ceecyMD - Congrats on getting into SGU! I just received an acceptance and am now trying to figure out how to fiance the program and submit a financial plan. Where you able to obtain any loans without a US cosigner? Any advice you can give would be much appreciated!

Hi all, I just wanted to give you all a friendly warning. I just graduated from a Caribbean school and matched. If you are planning on doing a residency in the U.S. after graduating I would advise you to seriously think about trying to get into a U.S. school or D.O. school. There was a recent report put out that stated by 2015 there will actually be more U.S. graduates than there are U.S. residency positions (if residency positions stay the same; they won't change much). Even this year as my class discussed matched results, you can start to see its getting more competitive. So if you choose to go to a Caribbean school and do a residency in the U.S. I would say work your butt off, because you need to do extremely well on step 1 and 2 to even get considered for a residency interview a few years from now.

Either way, I wish you all the best of luck.

Hi all, I just wanted to give you all a friendly warning. I just graduated from a Caribbean school and matched. If you are planning on doing a residency in the U.S. after graduating I would advise you to seriously think about trying to get into a U.S. school or D.O. school. There was a recent report put out that stated by 2015 there will actually be more U.S. graduates than there are U.S. residency positions (if residency positions stay the same; they won't change much). Even this year as my class discussed matched results, you can start to see its getting more competitive. So if you choose to go to a Caribbean school and do a residency in the U.S. I would say work your butt off, because you need to do extremely well on step 1 and 2 to even get considered for a residency interview a few years from now.

Either way, I wish you all the best of luck.
Is this report listed online anywhere? This sounds like a very serious speed bump in the Caribbean Med school path