1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-US citizens with US undergrad degrees considering/currently attending SGU.

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by ceecyMD, Mar 28, 2007.

1. ceecyMD

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

I am seriously considering SGU and have an upcoming interview. My main dilenma is that I am international i.e Non-US citizen, and I was wondering if there have been any issues (mainly with acquring a VISA) with people with my profile coming back into the US for rotations (I believe that's after the 2nd year in Grenada).

Does SGU help with this in any way? I doubt that tho.

If anyone has any useful information for me please reply.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ceecyMD

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nobody?

BUMP!

4. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It depends on you citizenship.

Do you happen to be Canadian?

5. ceecyMD

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am Nigerian.

6. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You would need to contact the school AND contact the US embassy in Abuja to make sure that it will be easy for you to get a temporary study visa for clinical rotations. For Canadians, it is as easy as paying $6 for a study visa at the border.

7. ceecyMD

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for your help. I guess I'll contact my int'l student rep and clarify, but I always like to hear first-hand experiences. If anyone has that, please reply or PM me. Thanks!!!

8. ceecyMD

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For anyone who cares to know or would need this info in the future, I found out that you'd need to apply for a B-1 visa to re-enter the states for clinical rotations.

9. rabb

Hi ceecyMD - Congrats on getting into SGU! I just received an acceptance and am now trying to figure out how to fiance the program and submit a financial plan. Where you able to obtain any loans without a US cosigner? Any advice you can give would be much appreciated!

10. TypeADoctor

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi all, I just wanted to give you all a friendly warning. I just graduated from a Caribbean school and matched. If you are planning on doing a residency in the U.S. after graduating I would advise you to seriously think about trying to get into a U.S. school or D.O. school. There was a recent report put out that stated by 2015 there will actually be more U.S. graduates than there are U.S. residency positions (if residency positions stay the same; they won't change much). Even this year as my class discussed matched results, you can start to see its getting more competitive. So if you choose to go to a Caribbean school and do a residency in the U.S. I would say work your butt off, because you need to do extremely well on step 1 and 2 to even get considered for a residency interview a few years from now.

Either way, I wish you all the best of luck.

11. lampshade14

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Is this report listed online anywhere? This sounds like a very serious speed bump in the Caribbean Med school path