Non-US High-school Student Hoping to Train in U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice regarding how a graduating high school student in Asia can apply to college in the U.S. with the hopes of pursuing premed training during college and applying to medical school as a non-U.S. citizen. I myself am a U.S. citizen who has gone to college and medical school and is now in residency in the U.S., and I am trying to help my little cousin in terms of getting advice...unfortunately, I have no idea where to start helping him! I believe that my cousin would eventually like to return to his native country to practice, but he is very interested in pursuing studies in the U.S. (a lot of our family is in the States, and he speaks English quite well)...I do realize however that it would take quite a bit of effort to become certified in his native country after becoming licensed in the U.S., as I've met a lot of foreign graduates and really admire their perseverance. I'd be really interested in hearing:

- the feasibility of a non-U.S. student pursuing college in the U.S. and being accepted into a U.S medical school...or perhaps being accepted into a medical school in his foreign country after his undergraduate studies in the U.S. are done. Does anyone have firsthand experience?
- if a non-U.S. high school graduate (and non-U.S. citizen) is eligible to apply for many of the combined undergraduate-medical school programs in the U.S.
- any additional hurdles that a non-U.S. student faces training in the U.S. that may not be obvious (such as having limited financial aid options, etc.)
- any text resources or websites that might be of help to my cousin.

Thank you very much for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I think that two websites would help you learn something about your question.

http://www.gre.org/

gre(Graduate Record Examinations)

http://www.ets.org/toefl/

toefl(The Test of English as a Foreign Language)

Both of them are the Official sites about how the students of non U.S. can be applied to college in the U.S or other countries of non-Asia.

Hamm... maybe you can find your answer by gloogle ...........

Good luck!