Non-US IMG state license notarization issues - Louisiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tariq Khader

Reaction score
Hello,

Due to COVID, I’m still yet to join my program in the state of Louisiana soon. However, I’m being asked to notarize all my documents in order to proceed with the state license, the US embassy has stopped any notary services so far, any one with a similar experience? Do you have any suggestions on how this can work? Is there a notary service other than the US embassy?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can find a notary just about anywhere. Specifically most hospitals will have a notary somewhere on campus, and many UPS/FedEx stores also provide notary services.

Yes, you can find a notary just about anywhere. Specifically most hospitals will have a notary somewhere on campus, and many UPS/FedEx stores also provide notary services.
Sounds like OP is currently physically outside the US though. The only way they can get a US notarization that I can think of is going to be an embassy or a US military officer.

If they are inside the US, it's easy enough - almost any bank, UPS/FedEx store, most lawyers offices, etc will be sufficient. If they're outside the US and the embassy isn't taking people, it's going to depend on what country they're in - some of them are signatories to an agreement where the US will allow foreign notaries (which can be one of any number of different names locally) to "count" and some of them aren't. They may also want to clarify with the relevant state board to see if they'll accept a foreign notary.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes exactly, were out if the US now, that’s the main issue, the contact person for the license replied with “we are not familiar with the rules in your country or outside the US in General ” that’s why I’m trying to see id there’s a similar case

Apparently if your country is a signatory to the "Hague Apostille Convention" (with a list of signatories at HCCH | #12 - Status table ) you may be able to get documents notarized locally and get a certificate valid in the US. No idea how this would work for forms that need to be filled out in front of a notary.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many online notary services in the US now. They cost more than $50 dollars per document often, but it is an option if you have to.