Nonclinical/Remote Attending Physician Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a soon-to-be Family Medicine attending. I'm always interested in unique, easy doctor jobs for extra income: telemedicine, teleconsulting, insurance claim reviews, infomercials, etc.

I'm already doing telemedicine. I'm interested in reviewing cases for insurance companies but I don't see many job listings for that.

Does anyone have any other ideas for that or other positions?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Dude. You basically asked for people to give you ideas on how to make bank without doing any actual work. Do you really think random people on the intarwubs are just going to give up their gigs to you?

Reactions: 1 user
Dude. You basically asked for people to give you ideas on how to make bank without doing any actual work. Do you really think random people on the intarwubs are just going to give up their gigs to you?

Your reply implies that these gigs do exist- which I know they do.

And no, I'm not asking anyone to "give up their gigs", I'm asking them for advice. And I didn't say I wasn't going to do any work. Consulting, reviewing claims, telemedicine, writing, etc. are all "work", just not clinical. Medicine is a dynamic field, and not all jobs are all clinical anymore.

Plasma donation center physician, have to go in once a week to sign off on forms. The guy at my old place was on site for at most ten minutes a week. Always wondered how much he made.

Plasma donation center physician, have to go in once a week to sign off on forms. The guy at my old place was on site for at most ten minutes a week. Always wondered how much he made.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I've heard about this job. I also wonder how much they make.

Hey guys,

I'm a soon-to-be Family Medicine attending. I'm always interested in unique, easy doctor jobs for extra income: telemedicine, teleconsulting, insurance claim reviews, infomercials, etc.

I'm already doing telemedicine. I'm interested in reviewing cases for insurance companies but I don't see many job listings for that.

Does anyone have any other ideas for that or other positions?

Thanks!!

Depends how fru-fru you want to do. There are always the "male" clinics that do testosterone replacement, other places that do estrogen therapy, you can do consults for weight loss placements, you can do weight loss stuff, school physical/disability evals, you can be director of a med spa, you can charge stipend to students to shadow you, etc etc. Depends how much risk you want to take, how much time, your geography -obviously many more opportunities in NY than say South Dakota - etc.

Your reply implies that these gigs do exist- which I know they do.

And no, I'm not asking anyone to "give up their gigs", I'm asking them for advice. And I didn't say I wasn't going to do any work. Consulting, reviewing claims, telemedicine, writing, etc. are all "work", just not clinical. Medicine is a dynamic field, and not all jobs are all clinical anymore.

Have you thought about running a pill mill? You can make some big bucks for a cash based practice...

Reactions: 2 users
Can you spell "OxyContin" correctly, with the capital C and all? Do you possess a ballpoint pen?

Head down to Kentucky. They'll love you.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Serious advice: stop

Don't start your career as an attending by getting flagged by your state medical board. It is 100% not worth it.

Practice medicine. The money will come.

Avoid the nonsense. It will come back to haunt you.

Reactions: 2 users
Serious advice: stop

Don't start your career as an attending by getting flagged by your state medical board. It is 100% not worth it.

Practice medicine. The money will come.

Avoid the nonsense. It will come back to haunt you.

How is running a med spa or plasma center going to get you flagged by the medical board??

How is running a med spa or plasma center going to get you flagged by the medical board??

It's not. There are a ton of perfectly legal ways to make extra money for things in medicine. Most state medical boards are not out to get you, and are not going to be "flagging you down" for things that are fine to do. If you are running a pain pill and kill your patients, then yes they will legitimately flag you, but doing most of the things mentioned above and more are perfectly fine and within the limits of what a license allows.

If a position is wide open, there is a reason.

A medical director of a plasma center is a high risk job. There is a significant amount of code that must be followed exactly. Your license number is the one tagged for criminal/civil suits and government interrogation if protocol is broken.
A medical spa may offer pseudo-science treatments. Beware! A hired medical director will not be the one profiting here. It will be a few noctors looking for a license number to sign off on their crap. Definitely avoid!

Most centers (SNUs, ALFS, ILFs, LTACs, dialysis centers, pheresis centers) will have at least several physicians on staff jockeying to hold the medical director position. Signing up to be a medical director is not free money. A newly graduated resident may not be equipped to judge if all of the practices in a facility are to code. I would strongly recommend easing into one of these positions and not jumping in. It is standard for a practitioner in a center to slowly ease into a role after practicing in the facility for a number of years.

Best of luck.

We fear what we don't understand: There are lots of legit, non-traditional ways to make money in medicine. We just hate to admit that because we want to think that grinding away in the daily practice of medicine is the only way to make a living. It's not.

For instance, I've recently accepted the position as CMO for a telehealth company startup. Perfectly legit business. Non-traditional, but legitimate. Risky? Sure. Potential to be a multimillionaire and help a lot of people? Absolutely.

And for those who talk about risk... remember, risk is a part of business success. If you want the safety of your brick and mortar business, by all means have it.

When it comes down to it, a lot of success is about risk. If you aren't willing to take any, don't complain about your average, safe life.

We fear what we don't understand: There are lots of legit, non-traditional ways to make money in medicine. We just hate to admit that because we want to think that grinding away in the daily practice of medicine is the only way to make a living. It's not.

For instance, I've recently accepted the position as CMO for a telehealth company startup. Perfectly legit business. Non-traditional, but legitimate. Risky? Sure. Potential to be a multimillionaire and help a lot of people? Absolutely.

And for those who talk about risk... remember, risk is a part of business success. If you want the safety of your brick and mortar business, by all means have it.

When it comes down to it, a lot of success is about risk. If you aren't willing to take any, don't complain about your average, safe life.

Absolutely agreed! For those of us in medicine who are both ethical, driven and willing to take risks, possibilities are huge! Congrats on your new venture!

In my opinion, for someone just coming out of training, I would be looking for a job that I can hone my skills in. I would not be looking for these new, unusual types of jobs. It seems like trying to find a way to get rich quick with as little work as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
In my opinion, for someone just coming out of training, I would be looking for a job that I can hone my skills in. I would not be looking for these new, unusual types of jobs. It seems like trying to find a way to get rich quick with as little work as possible.

You don't understand business. We work 100 hours a week so that we don't have to work 40 hours a week. Get rich quick? No, more like get rich slowly while putting in every waking hour.

You don't understand business. We work 100 hours a week so that we don't have to work 40 hours a week. Get rich quick? No, more like get rich slowly while putting in every waking hour.

It's not about understanding business or not. If this setup works for you, thats great. The impression that I get when I see someone that is just finishing residency that would rather do some off the wall practice rather than building up his/her skills first is that they are either too sure of themselves, want to just make a quick buck with as little work as possible, or just have no idea what things will be like outside the protected residency environment. As a surgeon, it's a whole different animal making that initial transition from resident to attending. I am still now building my skills. Talking with my old attendings, many of them said they didn't really feel comfortable until 3-5 years of being an attending. That is why I worry about someone in the situation like you want where you would rather do these consulting type jobs, telemedicine, and the like instead of learning your profession in the real world. Too many times people that get into those fields end up running afoul with the medical boards/law because of quasi-legal and marginal ethical practices. Your setup may be totally different, but that's the impression I get from what you posted in this thread.

You started the thread asking for easy ways to make money, which in medicine translates into whoring out your license, and now want to pretend you're interested in legitimate entrepreneurial endeavors...

If i'm not mistaken there are places online that offer marketing surveys for physicians. They probably pay next to nothing but that sounds like a simple way to go.

If i'm not mistaken there are places online that offer marketing surveys for physicians. They probably pay next to nothing but that sounds like a simple way to go.
I do some of them. Only the ones that pay >$100/h of predicted time to do it. I usually finish them in half the predicted time. Beats killing time on FB.

But certainly not a good way to establish financial independence or an escape route out of medicine. I use the money to buy new bikes and electronics.

I do some of them. Only the ones that pay >$100/h of predicted time to do it. I usually finish them in half the predicted time. Beats killing time on FB.

But certainly not a good way to establish financial independence or an escape route out of medicine. I use the money to buy new bikes and electronics.

Oh wow, I would be very interested in doing this if there are any that accept resident physicians. As I've mentioned I've heard of these but no personal experience. I think you just motivated me to look around. Would be nice to have my gas tank paid for every now and then

I'm young and naive (about to start med school), but doesn't it just seem easier, safer, and more practical to expand your office hours at your practice, pick up some shifts at an urgent care, etc?

Oh wow, I would be very interested in doing this if there are any that accept resident physicians. As I've mentioned I've heard of these but no personal experience. I think you just motivated me to look around. Would be nice to have my gas tank paid for every now and then
You just lie about it. I've been doing them since first year of fellowship. As far as they know, I've been in practice for 10 years at this point.

I'm young and naive (about to start med school), but doesn't it just seem easier, safer, and more practical to expand your office hours at your practice, pick up some shifts at an urgent care, etc?

My guess is that the OP is burned out with clinical medicine, and is looking for an easy, lucrative way out of it. That being the case, s/he should have considered pathology or radiology rather than family medicine.

My guess is that the OP is burned out with clinical medicine, and is looking for an easy, lucrative way out of it. That being the case, s/he should have considered pathology or radiology rather than family medicine.

Are you joking? Why do people say things like that? Pathology is in the dumps in terms of $$. Radiology is a brutal, and very very long training path, and is also having tremendous financial difficulty in terms of jobs/salaries, so the last thing it is is "easy money" not to mention that rads are being churned and burned with the amount of work they have to do on a daily basis. It's a sweat shop type atmosphere these days.

So why the original post if you are already acting like you know everything?

In addition you already have a gig lined up doing non-clinical medicine where you feel you have the potential for a financial windfall. So what is your point?

As someone with a startup background: there are plenty of opportunities outside of clinical practice but the vast majority of physicians have no skills (outside of their clinical ability) and no track record of success (outside of becoming a physician).

I do not know OP at all, so this is not a comment on him specifically, but in general physicians who are looking for something "easy" to do because they are "tired of clinical practice" are from the above majority. They are then surprised when their value doesn't command a $150k+ salary.

As someone with a startup background: there are plenty of opportunities outside of clinical practice but the vast majority of physicians have no skills (outside of their clinical ability) and no track record of success (outside of becoming a physician).

I do not know OP at all, so this is not a comment on him specifically, but in general physicians who are looking for something "easy" to do because they are "tired of clinical practice" are from the above majority. They are then surprised when their value doesn't command a $150k+ salary.

The fact that most physicians have little/no business experience and are not entrepreneurial is a problem when they want to consider alternative careers. But, when they do have this experience, the potential is incredible;-)