MD Nontrad/3.25c/3.57s/veteran/514 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meko.fish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am narrowing down my school list and I am pretty nervous because of my GPA.

I am:
Nontrad (29), married
Non-URM
Did 6 years in the Navy (desk job)
Did very badly in school ages 20-22 on and off (<1.5 GPA)
Bachelors of Science in Biological and Natural Sciences from state school
Associates Degree in Russian (pretty fluent)
NH resident
3.25cGPA/3.57sGPA (4.0 last ~120 credits) 4.0 in prereqs
514 MCAT (Chem:127 CARS:130 Bio:128 Psy:129)
~50 hours shadowing MD and DO
1200+ hours volunteering at a needle exchange clinic
500 hrs misc nonclinical volunteering (animal shelter, food pantry, admin work at AIDS association)
~500 hours paid clinical work as phlebotomist
~500 hours paid clinical work as patient care tech at hospital
No research except 2 credit hours through undergrad

MD list so far:
UVM
Tufts
BU
Quinnipiac
Commonwealth
Hofstra
Albany
Tulane
NYMC
UHUHS
UCT
Dartmouth
Ohio State U
U of Cincinnati
Drexel

Obviously by the above I prefer the Northeast but nothing is out of the question (except moving to Texas.) I am not incredibly optimistic about my MD chances so I figured I would run it by you guys first. I am applying DO but I am mostly curious as to if I should even being applying to these MD schools, especially because I have no research. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

UConn, Ohio State and Cincinnati have instate preference. You could add these schools:
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Creighton

I think as a veteran who has 4 years of 4.0, you can add some reaches.

I am not sure you need to apply DO, but if you do be sure to apply to UNECOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should throw Mayo an app. They dig veterans

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, really? I figured my cumulative GPA would put me in the bin for a school like them. Mayo MN or Mayo AZ? Or both?

yeah we have a few veterans in my class at Mayo and our dean of admissions served in the military. you'll definitely get eyes on review, but whether or not you get an interview is impossible to predict. In my experience the admissions committee is very holistic when it comes to reviewing applicants and I think that you being a non-trad, with that upward trend/4.0 in your most recent 120 credits will be looked upon favorably. I'd apply to both campuses.

Not sure what you have against Texas but we also dig veterans down here. We also boast a good amount of medical schools with some of the lowest tuition in the country, ;)

Not sure what you have against Texas but we also dig veterans down here. We also boast a good amount of medical schools with some of the lowest tuition in the country, ;)
I'm back at Fort Hood and applying to dental school this cycle. My dad tells that me even though my grades are a little below average that being an active duty SM with a couple of deployments should get me in the door down here. Thoughts?