MD nontrad, 3.42 cgpa, 3.7sgpa, 3.74 postbacc, 519 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delamj

UWSOM MD 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I got my MCAT the other day and I have been trying to develop a school list using Wedgedawg's applicant rating tool as a starting point, but I feel it may overestimate me a bit so I need a second opinion.

My sGPA is 3.7. My cGPA is all messed up because I failed 4 classes in Freshman year, but overall I have a strong upward trend. MCAT is fairly balanced at 131/127/130/131. I have 4 letters of rec if that matters.

Original degree was in Poli Sci, that I received roughly 5 years ago.

Here is a summary of my activities and length of commitments for each, and then the school list after that. I've put an asterisk to indicate activities I've just started very recently.

CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
-Cope Health Scholar; 18 months ~300h direct patient care volunteering and 200h on leadership and executive team; mainly training and recruitment
-Hospice Patient Care Volunteer: ~2 years 94h
-*Urgent Care Scribe; just started. Projected 1-2 years at 500-1000 hours

NON CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
-Volunteer Competitive Speech and Debate Coach and Judge for a local High School. ~2500h over 4 years spread here and there.
-Student Officer and Leader of my collegiate debate team. ~1.5 years ~1100h
-Insurance salesman; Outdoor sales and indoor sales, 1 year ~2000 hours.
-Meals on Wheels Volunteer, 40h
-Math and Science Tutor. 6 months 135h
-*Volunteer Home repair inspector for Senior Services. Just started. Projected ~200h over the next year. I connect vulnerable seniors in poverty who need home repair to the appropriate resources and contacts they need.

RESEARCH
-Nematostella lab, 1 year ~300h Presentation by the end of Summer Quarter
-*Spinal Injury at UW SOM. Just started. Projected ~ 500 total hours at least with a possibility of being published within a year, but did not mention that in my app (mainly for next year if I'm not accepted this cycle)

SHADOWING
-Seattle Children's Observership 21h
-Family Practice DO, ~60 hours over 2 years

Stanford
UCSF
Mt Sinai
Mayo
UCLA
Emory
Cornell
Hofstra
Einstein
Ohio State
USC Keck
Dartmouth
Rochester
UVA
UNC
WVU
Wayne State
USF Morsani
Creighton
Oakland
SLU
EVMS
Stonybrook
Toledo
Vermont
UWSOM
Elson Floyd COM

So that's my list so far. I really like it but I am not too sure how I'd actually fare especially for the schools closest to the top of the list. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: