Nontrad Advice from Nontrad accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradhopefulOBGYN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a nontrad with a low gpa, graduating in December cGPA 2.8 BS Marketing. I've only taken physics, eironmental bio and environmental bio lab (B+, A-, A- respectively. I plan to do a post bac program starting summer 2016.

I am writing for advice from Nontrads who were in similar situations (overcoming low undergrad gpa) but have already been accepted.

My concern is that, my reason for the low undergraduate GPA is simple because I was in college for my parent and not for myself and became apathetic as result of not knowing what I wanted to do with my life and feeling like I was just going through the motions of what was expected of me. My GOA began to reflect this apathy when I tried to take 18 credit hours all online while working full time to give myself some sort of a break to explore. In this time, is when I discovered I waned to be a doctor and repairer m GPA has been an uphill battle ever since.

Is that a bad reason to say when applying for post bac programs, and further down the line when interviewing for med school. I am worried it may suggest that I do not give my all to things I am uninterested in (which somewhere a long the line in med school, you will have to study things you may not be interested in)

Thanks for advice in advance!
=)

Members don't see this ad.

In your situation I would see if I could delay graduation and take the classes you need before you finish your BS degree. I personally found financing classes after your first degree is much more of a pain.
Depending on why your GPA is less than 3.0 ( a couple of bad grades vs a lot of B-) it may be relatively quick to fix if you were thinking about D.O. schools. Also, by the time you knock out chemistry and bio, you may be in an acceptable GPA range.
I am a non-trad that came from a similar situation, but I have not been accepted (still awaiting aacomas verification) but I am sure more experienced people will chime in soon.

Most post-bacc programs will screen you out with that GPA.

Basically you're looking at taking science course a-la-carte at whatever location is convenient and affordable for you.

Start off slow and take a couple classes and do well in those. Ramp up if possible. Continue for 2-3 years.

On the plus side, your sGPA will be reasonably high since you have few science courses.

Of course "discovering" you want to be a doctor should be something backed up with clinical experience, volunteering etc etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In your situation I would see if I could delay graduation and take the classes you need before you finish your BS degree. I personally found financing classes after your first degree is much more of a pain.
Depending on why your GPA is less than 3.0 ( a couple of bad grades vs a lot of B-) it may be relatively quick to fix if you were thinking about D.O. schools. Also, by the time you knock out chemistry and bio, you may be in an acceptable GPA range.
I am a non-trad that came from a similar situation, but I have not been accepted (still awaiting aacomas verification) but I am sure more experienced people will chime in soon.
Thank you, I plan to talk to my advisor soon about doing this to see what my options are.

Most post-bacc programs will screen you out with that GPA.

Basically you're looking at taking science course a-la-carte at whatever location is convenient and affordable for you.

Start off slow and take a couple classes and do well in those. Ramp up if possible. Continue for 2-3 years.

On the plus side, your sGPA will be reasonably high since you have few science courses.

Of course "discovering" you want to be a doctor should be something backed up with clinical experience, volunteering etc etc.
Of course. That why post bac programs as opposed to DIY post have been more appealing, because the one I am looking into requires minimum 300 hours and will help you find somewhere to do this. I am still weighing my options. Thank you for the advice.