PhD/PsyD Nontrad aiming for clinical psych PhD - specific research experience needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m1ntyfresh

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a nontrad coming from a software engineer and management background, living in Asia but originally from the US, looking to pivot to clinical psychology. I am specifically concerned about research applicability - I have found a position as an RA at a neuropsych lab that does some clinically related research sometimes - but it's not spot on.

I feel nervous committing to this lab because it's not purely clinical psych focused, but does this matter? There are other benefits such as an extremely kind and helpful team leader who is making many introductions for me to other professors and postgrads, and the fact that the team leader is quite well known in the field (former tenured prof at top program in the US etc), and other lab options in the area being a) not in English and b) led by professors who know nothing of the US system.

I plan to gain clinically relevant experience by coauthoring on the more clinically oriented studies and hopefully running a fully clinically oriented research project of my own in the future with this lab if things go well (this was verbally promised to me but who knows). Otherwise, I plan to volunteer at a suicide hotline and start taking classes at a local university, and via classes hopefully shadow/volunteer/intern as clinics or the counseling center.

Would the above be sufficient, and should I be concerned about the lack of exact match of the lab to clinical psychology?

Edit - my specific career goal is to help people, specifically East Asian diaspora, with mental health issues related to (inter generational) trauma, child abuse/neglect, and resulting disorders like anxiety, BPD, and PTSD. Practically, I envision a combination of people/program management at clinic(s), research, and part time therapy. I am not interested in doing any one thing full time nor do I think that would be a good use of my skills.

This forms the scope of my research interests - for example, how can we use new brain stimulation techniques to run exposure therapy without making the client feel all the negative emotions of exposure? Or, how can we develop new ways of communication or treatment that is culturally sensitive and relevant to East Asian diaspora? Is there a way to get Asian immigrants into, and stick with, traditional talk therapy? I am also interested in psychosomatics/mind-body connection - when someone presents with IBS, is there some kind of brain scan we could do to know that it’s because of anxiety for example.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Neuropsychology is pretty related to clinical psychology so I don't really see that as an issue. Research experience is more important than clinical experience since you'll be training to do that in graduate school, but some interaction with humans is nice. Is the lab offering you a chance to do assessments or something? That might be enough. Also, what are your career goals?

Reactions: 1 user
I also would not think this is an issue. Neuropsychology is definitely clinically relevant (some clinical psych programs have clinical neuropsych tracks) and it sounds like that lab would provide great opportunities for research experience.

Actually, most of my research experience prior to grad school was even less clinically relevant (cognitive psych) and it was not a big concern when applying. The important thing (as mentioned above) is applying to grad school with a strong idea of your career goals, research interests, and why clinical psychology is the best fit.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses. I updated OP with my research interests and career goals.