MD Nontrad Applicant for 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jds313

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
asdf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can only comment in regards to volunteering. At my university we have an organization which sets up a free medical clinic for under served communities. Students get to work in triage, shadow MD/Med students, work in the pharmacy, and get a lot of time interacting with patients. Overall it has been a great experience. Maybe there is something of the sort in Jersey. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only comment in regards to volunteering. At my university we have an organization which sets up a free medical clinic for under served communities. Students get to work in triage, shadow MD/Med students, work in the pharmacy, and get a lot of time interacting with patients. Overall it has been a great experience. Maybe there is something of the sort in Jersey. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I was also wondering how my chances seem given the way that they are

For MD schools in general you seem like a strong nontraditional applicant. Just keep up with the volunteering and hopefully your MCAT score will be 518 or greater and you should be in a great position. Also, it will benefit you to portray how and why your experiences have inclined you towards medicine. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your service OP.

deleted

Last edited:
510+ and you should be rather competitive. Of course chances at any one school are never going to be what you want them to(although Robert Woods interviews around 25-30% of IS applicants) but you definitely should be in very solid shape with the right MCAT score(note 518+ is not the standard you need to hit). Navy service does a whole lot for boosting medical school applications.

deleted

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! :) any recommendations as to what volunteer work would be good? Is what I'm doing now okay (patient transport)?
`
Anything that
a) serves the less privileged and those most in need
b) involves patient interaction.

What you are doing sounds fine. If you want to pick up more, volunteer work in hospices or serving the truly less fortunate are the types of things that really get the "brownie" points for medical school admission as Goro likes to say.

Chances are golden! And many thanks for your service to our country.

Definitely target all NJ schools, the Philly Triplets, and Dartmouth for starters.

Then make a list and come back for feedback. MSAR Online if your friend.

I live in NJ and want to attend RWJMS. Please let me know how my chances are for RWJMS and MD schools in general. Is there anything else which I could do to improve my chances? What other schools would I be competitive for?

Chances are golden! And many thanks for your service to our country.

Definitely target all NJ schools, the Philly Triplets, and Dartmouth for starters.

Then make a list and come back for feedback. MSAR Online if your friend.

I live in NJ and want to attend RWJMS. Please let me know how my chances are for RWJMS and MD schools in general. Is there anything else which I could do to improve my chances? What other schools would I be competitive for?

Thanks for the advice! Do you know any md schools that are more "non-traditional" friendly?

Thanks for the advice! Do you know any md schools that are more "non-traditional" friendly?
All schools are veteran-friendly!

Reactions: 2 users