MD & DO Nontrad business owner, 3.94 GPA, 504 MCAT..What to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioLife23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for some honest opinions after getting my MCAT back.

GPA: I am a nontraditional student with a 3.94 GPA (don't see the breakdown on AMCAS but I've had 1 B+ and 1 B, both in science courses. Rest is all A or A+.)

MCAT: I took the MCAT and was deathly sick (throwing up, fever, etc.) but couldn't bring myself to skip it after paying all that money, driving across the state, and staying in a hotel. Should have voided, but anyways..first score was 497 (124/124/125/124).

Retook it and felt good with most sections except for CARS. It was one of my best sections in practice (I consistently scored 127-129) but during the test I was going too casually and ended up guessing on 1 and a half sections. I knew this would hurt my score and now I am so bummed at myself. This score: 504 (126/123/129/126).

State: Florida. Undergrad is USF, degree is Cell & Molecular Biology.

Ethnicity: White (F)

Clinical experience: Worked in medical clinic for 2 years as manager plus shadowed 2 medical doctors for ~145 hrs

Other: Owned a business for over 5 years, have another 4 years of experience as a manager, have strong personal statement, some awards in sports, have traveled extensively and lived abroad.

LOR: 2 science professors (genetics and physics), 1 Humanities professor, 1 physician that I shadowed.

Options I'm trying to weigh out and would like advice on -

My two goal schools are USF or LECOM. I feel my stats are okay for LECOM, but I know that USF wants higher MCAT. However, I am wondering if my GPA and strong leadership/medical history will help or if it's not worth applying because my app won't get looked at?

If I apply and don't get in, would I be looked down upon as a reapplicant next year or would it be more likely that my whole application is considered?
If I don't apply, is the medical masters program a good option for getting in once I earn the Master's degree?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Also an FL resident with similar stats. Posting so I get notified if anyone responds to this!

You have a chance for interviews at your Florida schools (except Miami) and include NOVA MD if it opens for 2018). I suggest applying to at least 8 DO schools and add NOVA .

Reactions: 1 user