Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Nontrad Canadian Applicant with cGPA of 3.4

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by parkune, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. parkune

parkune

Pre-Medical

Last edited: 10.12.15
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. PreMedOrDead

PreMedOrDead I'm sure you'll get in... 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    This belongs in the WAMC forum.

Don't have much experience with Canadian applicants, but I'll give it a shot (all in regard to US MD, not DO).

They won't care. But why do you want to go into medicine after you got a degree in nursing? They are far from the same thing.

Kinda low, but not auto-screen worthy. 3.5+ is preferred, 3.7 is more around matriculation averages for US MD. Probably more stringent for CA applicants.

Your clinical work looks exceptional, and lacking a bit in volunteering is going to be okay. Wouldn't hurt to get more, though.

No, it's submitted in good faith. They ask for contact information but they do not [normally] check.

It could work just fine, again highlights the fact you were interested in nursing, not medicine. But if they can speak to your ability and character with strength as a physician it'd still be worth it, in my opinion.

You're going to want to kill this test, especially as a CA applicant to US MD schools with a sub-par GPA. Make sure you know how well you're going to score and that you're more than adequately prepared to make an strong effort. If you must seek additional help I'd suggest you do so.

You must meet the prerequisites for the MD schools you apply to. They generally include the equivalent of 2 sems intro bio, 2 sems intro chem, 2 sems orgo, and 2 sems intro physics.

You'll have to look into the programs you're interested in yourself. It wouldn't hurt to find a number and give them a call if it's not readily available on their website.

Yes. You need to know what the work of a physician entails, from the perspective of a physician. I think this is particularly true if I were reviewing your application and saw that you were originally in nursing. Why the switch?!

4. parkune

parkune

Pre-Medical

Wow, thanks you so much for your feedbacks. I really appreciate it! So it sounds like my best bet would be to take prerequisites and work on my ECs (volunteer and clinical shadowing)... and do exceptionally well on my MCAT I guess. I am just trying to avoid having to take the new MCAT =(

5. PreMedOrDead

PreMedOrDead I'm sure you'll get in... 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    I would too, it looks like it's going to be a cluster ****.

But maybe that's the motivation you need. Make sure you're prepared so you don't have to take it again.

6. Ismet

Ismet PGY-fun SDN Administrator 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Moving to WAMC

About the ads