Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Nontrad Committee Letter?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by bizbee, Aug 25, 2015.

1. bizbee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm scratching my head here about what to do about the pre-med committee letter. Checked similar threads but my situation is slightly different.

So, my UG (University of Florida) did not have a committee letter, but the institution where I've taken my post-bacc courses does (Florida International University). I took the premed classes a la carte and not as part of any cohesive program, although I have been in close contact with the pre-health advisers.

They said I'm eligible for the letter but want me to have 6 evals and 3 letters from FIU professors. I will need an eval from about half of the professors I've had in my overcrowded, intro-science-lecture-classes-brimming-with-other-pre-meds who all want letters, too.

I graduated 4 years ago and am not in contact with any of those professors. The committee said they won't accept work letters. I'm thinking of giving up on the committee letter because I don't think I can find 6 professors. Despite the long lines at office hours, I have gone to them for all of my professors. I asked one professor (who I had even done an extracurricular presentation for) and she said, "Who are you?"

Will it look terrible if I just compile my own letters?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gyrfalcon

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There is a middle ground. Some pre-med advisors will create a letter packet instead of a committee letter. You get your recommenders (including from work + ECs) to send their letters to the pre-med office, and the pre-med office will write a short cover letter briefly describing the recommendations. It is not as in-depth as a real committee letter, but it gets transmitted to schools in the same way. I was forced to use this because my postbac university won't write committee letters for grad students, but it has worked out just fine (multiple IIs already). See if your pre-med advisors will do this for you. It might be a lot less hassle than sending individual letters on your own.

4. ChE04

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just sent individual letters and had no problems.

popopopop likes this.
  5. y123

Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got a committee letter from the school where I did my postbac. Fortunately my current college offers committee letters to everyone here.
    Individual letters are definitely doable, but sometimes you need to fulfill each school's requirement, which is not as straight forward as a committee letter.

6. bizbee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks, I will definitely check out the option of just getting the letter packet!

ChE04, did your school have a committee letter? Did you only apply to schools that didn't request the committee letter.

7. ChE04

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did my post-bacc work at a school that offered a committee letter, however I was only there for 1 year and got the feeling that their committee letters were geared more towards traditional students that had done all 4 years there. When I applied 4 years ago, med schools wanted either a committee letter or 3-4 individual letters. Not sure if that's changed since and a committee letter is now a requirement?

8. nmingevm

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    Fortunately my current college offers committee letters to everyone here.[​IMG]